Suns @ Cavaliers 2-21-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting the Cavaliers thread a bit early to help bridge the gap between the All-Star Break and a place to put information about the upcoming game.

On Thursday the Suns visit the Cavaliers for a 5 p.m. Arizona time game that will be televised on FSAZ.

The Suns (11-48) are on a fifteen game losing streak with their last loss coming at the hands of the Clippers 134-107 on February 13th.

Meanwhile the Cavaliers (12-46) have fared only slight better. In their last game before the All-Star break they lost to the Nets 148-139 in triple overtime.

In regard to the standings, the Suns are in last place followed by the Knicks, Cavaliers and Bulls. The Suns and Knicks are only separated by the Suns having one more loss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a tweet from Duane Ranking about the Suns status now and going forward.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm calling it now. If the Suns lose this game, they will set the NBA record for consecutive losses with this streak.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss should be interesting to watch.

Also we will get to see Brandon Knight and perhaps Channing Frye.

In the case of Chriss, if he develops elsewhere, it begs the question if the Suns are doing a good job in developing young players. The same may apply to Bender.

It would be extremely disappointing if the Suns have drafted well but failed to develop the talent given.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also we will get to see Brandon Knight and perhaps Channing Frye.

In the case of Chriss, if he develops elsewhere, it begs the question if the Suns are doing a good job in developing young players. The same may apply to Bender.

It would be extremely disappointing if the Suns have drafted well but failed to develop the talent given.

The suns haven't developed anyone that I can remember. The only three in recent years are those that have stayed with us long enough, Amare, Marion and Booker.

I mentioned this in some other thread, but the Raptors have developed some of their own guys who they've drafted and kept around. The Suns seem to have always relied on the free agency.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suns haven't developed anyone that I can remember. The only three in recent years are those that have stayed with us long enough, Amare, Marion and Booker.

I mentioned this in some other thread, but the Raptors have developed some of their own guys who they've drafted and kept around. The Suns seem to have always relied on the free agency.

I do not remember the Suns doing well in free agency with Ariza being a huge fail, however, there are probably some other players I'm missing. PJ Tucker was a good free agent signing.

Warren has developed over the years as has Booker. It's hard to know how much is the player and how much is the coaching. There is always the question could they be even better.

I really like VanVleet and Siakam for the Raptors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this description of Ray Spalding:

Spalding is an athletic, 6-foot-10 project big man, but one that a rebuilding team like the Suns can afford to take on.

The forward is having a superb season in the G League, showing that he has an all-around game. Spalding is averaging 15.9 points and 9.4 rebounds per game in 29 contests. He has also been fantastic on the defensive end, averaging 1.6 steals and 2.5 blocks.

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-phoenix-plans-sign-ray-spalding-10-day-contract/

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Spalding is an athletic, 6-foot-10 project big man, but one that a rebuilding team like the Suns can afford to take on.

The forward is having a superb season in the G League, showing that he has an all-around game. Spalding is averaging 15.9 points and 9.4 rebounds per game in 29 contests. He has also been fantastic on the defensive end, averaging 1.6 steals and 2.5 blocks.

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-phoenix-plans-sign-ray-spalding-10-day-contract/

How come we can sign him? Did Dallas waive him?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How come we can sign him? Did Dallas waive him?

Spalding was waived after the Porzingis trade.

It seems fair. Dallas gets Porzingis while the Suns get Spalding.

Actually I'm hopeful he might turn out like Holmes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Dallas waived him after acquiring KP and he just stuck with their G-League affiliate.

Might consider starting a thread Chaplin. That Tyler Johnson trade went 30 pages. LOL

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not remember the Suns doing well in free agency with Ariza being a huge fail, however, there are probably some other players I'm missing. PJ Tucker was a good free agent signing.

Warren has developed over the years as has Booker. It's hard to know how much is the player and how much is the coaching. There is always the question could they be even better.

I really like VanVleet and Siakam for the Raptors.

I interpret player development to mostly apply to a non-lottery pick that has become any type of player contributing backup or rotation minutes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It appears that site you quoted inflated his stats in the G-League some, not sure why. I didn't think anything of it when I saw they listed his rebounds at 9.4 instead of 9.3, figuring they rounded up or something, but then I saw he's averaging 2.2 blocks instead of the 2.5 mentioned, which I thought was odd.

Here are his G-League stats from Basketball-Reference...

15.9ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 1.7 spg, 2.5 fouls, and shooting 51.4% from the field in 29 games with 26 of them being starts. He's also seeing the court for 30.1 minutes a game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/s/spaldra01d.html

Just so you know Mainstreet, and others, you can view a players G-League stats from their regular page on BR by going over to "MORE" on the bar towards the top of their page that also lists their game log, splits, and lineups and then a new display comes up under that and if they played in the G-League that will be an option shown to the right of their college stats...

Did a quick screenshot where I highlighted what I'm talking about with the "MORE" option and then "G-League" link.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I interpret player development to mostly apply to a non-lottery pick that has become any type of player contributing backup or rotation minutes.

With the exception Bogdan Bogdanovic (drafted #27) the Suns have not drafted much outside the lottery in the first round.

Their second round picks have not exactly set the world on fire.

I'm still hoping players like Melton and Okobo can be the exceptions.

PJ Tucker seems to be the best player the Suns might have developed but he probably honed his skills playing overseas.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears that site you quoted inflated his stats in the G-League some, not sure why. I didn't think anything of it when I saw they listed his rebounds at 9.4 instead of 9.3, figuring they rounded up or something, but then I saw he's averaging 2.2 blocks instead of the 2.5 mentioned, which I thought was odd.

Here are his G-League stats from Basketball-Reference...

15.9ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 1.7 spg, 2.5 fouls, and shooting 51.4% from the field in 29 games with 26 of them being starts. He's also seeing the court for 30.1 minutes a game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/s/spaldra01d.html

Just so you know Mainstreet, and others, you can view a players G-League stats from their regular page on BR by going over to "MORE" on the bar towards the top of their page that also lists their game log, splits, and lineups and then a new display comes up under that and if they played in the G-League that will be an option shown to the right of their college stats...

Did a quick screenshot where I highlighted what I'm talking about with the "MORE" option and then "G-League" link.

You must be registered for see images attach

Good stuff PH. I've never looked for G-league stats there. It makes it a lot easier.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff PH. I've never looked for G-league stats there. It makes it a lot easier.

It definitely helps since the Suns have been using a lot of G-League players over the last couple of years. You can also see how some of our guys like Okobo have done down there on assignment. I think they should have a section on the players main page that lists their G-League stats similar to how they have a condensed view of their college stats but having them available in a click or two is much better than nothing. I used to go to multiple sites for G-League stats until I learned how to find them there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely helps since the Suns have been using a lot of G-League players over the last couple of years. You can also see how some of our guys like Okobo have done down there on assignment. I think they should have a section on the players main page that lists their G-League stats similar to how they have a condensed view of their college stats but having them available in a click or two is much better than nothing. I used to go to multiple sites for G-League stats until I learned how to find them there.

For Suns players I used to go to the NAZ Suns site.

This makes it much quicker to find out how a player played in G-League especially outside the Suns organization.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand Warren has been out since January 22nd.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was one that hoped Chriss would have a nice year with the Suns. Now I believe he is fighting for a contract just to stay in the NBA. I would not sign Chriss to anything but a one year deal. Best thing the Suns did for that kid was trade him

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand Warren has been out since January 22nd.

his complete inability to play defense, rebound, pass or stay healthy make him such a nothing asset, IMO.

They should have sold high on the kid in the first couple months of the season. He was always going to be the odd man out with our logjam at SF. Now, he's back to being somewhat damaged goods.