Suns at Rockets game thread - April 11 - 5:30 - My45 HD

sunsfn

Reaction score
Houston Apr 11, 5:30 PM My45 HD

The Phoenix Suns have a chance to leave Texas with two impressive victories, particularly with Tracy McGrady back in the Houston Rockets' lineup.

It appears McGrady will be available Friday as the Rockets try to avoid losing their season series with the Suns for what could be a pivotal tiebreaker in the playoff standings.

One potential key tiebreaker went Phoenix's way Wednesday, as the Suns won the season series against San Antonio with a 96-79 road victory over the defending champion Spurs.

"Anytime you come here it's a good win," Steve Nash said. "But we're also still fighting for seeding. It gives us another possibility as far as seeding goes."

While the Suns (53-26) are battling the Los Angeles Lakers for the Pacific Division lead, Houston (53-25) is a half-game ahead of Phoenix in the West with both teams still having a shot at the conference's No. 1 seed. It's very possible the tiebreaker between the teams could be the difference in that race, or even determine seeding if they meet in the first round.

The Suns have won two of the first three meetings this season.

"If we lose, Phoenix and Utah and everybody is going to get over us, we would lose home-court advantage and it would make things much more difficult," Rockets rookie Luis Scola said.

Scola's 13 points and 12 rebounds helped Houston overcome McGrady's absence in a 103-80 win over Seattle on Wednesday.

McGrady sat out to rest his sore left shoulder, which he sprained in a win over Sacramento on March 24, but said Thursday he will play against Phoenix. Since getting hurt, McGrady has shot 37.0 percent from the field, including 6-for-24 from 3-point range.

"I want to be efficient when I'm out there," he said. "This is the time to be on top of your game. My shoulder being the way it is, it's been tough. Hopefully, I can turn it around and not so much worry about my shoulder and have it cause me to shoot so bad."

The Rockets, though, could be missing starting forward Shane Battier, who was limited to 18 minutes Wednesday due to a bruised left foot and ankle.

"I just have to rely on the medical people and those two guys being truthful and telling us how they feel," Houston coach Rick Adelman said.

The Rockets welcomed back point guard Rafer Alston on Wednesday after he missed three games with a strained left hamstring. Houston won all of those games, and enters this matchup with a four-game winning streak -- its longest since its 22-game run ended in mid-March.

Phoenix had Shaquille O'Neal back in action Wednesday after he sat out a win at Memphis the previous night with a right hip contusion. He looked very healthy, especially in the fourth quarter when he had eight of his 16 points as the Suns outscored the Spurs 24-11.

"I played through everything," said O'Neal, who was insulted by San Antonio not double-teaming him down the stretch. "I told them that if they play me single coverage, let me make them pay. I'm still the baddest 36-year-old ever created."

It certainly looked that way the last time these teams met, with O'Neal scoring 23 points and grabbing 13 rebounds in a 122-113 home victory over Houston on March 22. It was the same game in which Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire set a franchise record by making all 20 of his free-throw attempts en route to a 38-point, 13-rebound effort.

Stoudemire is averaging 28.0 points and 12.7 rebounds in the season series while shooting 61 percent from the field and going 34-of-35 at the foul line.

The Suns have won seven of their last eight games in Houston, including a 115-105 victory on Nov. 17 in their only visit this season behind double-doubles from Stoudemire and Nash.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I don't see how we won't win this game comfortably, especially with Yao already gone, Battier out, and McGrady banged up.

On the other hand, we seem to win games we have no shot at, and drop games we should dominate.

Suns 117
Rockets 106

Amare

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Amare can't get cheap hacks this game and sit on the bench.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how we won't win this game comfortably, especially with Yao already gone, Battier out, and McGrady banged up.

On the other hand, we seem to win games we have no shot at, and drop games we should dominate.

Suns 117
Rockets 106

Amare

That's a little on the overconfident side, I think. Even if Battier is out, the Rockets defense should still be very good, especially at home, when fighting for a better playoff seeding.

I can't see us scoring anywhere near 117 points. This might be a very hard game to win.

Can't wait. I'll be watching.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything about this game points to a W... and that makes me nervous for some reason. Gotta bring the same A game they brought on Wednesday. This Houston team just won by 23 on Wednesday without T-Mac or Yao. Sure it was against the Sonics, but the fact that without their two best players, they still won by 23 against anyone is impressive.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Suns 117
Rockets 106

Amare
I will guarantee right now that Battier will play. NO ONE sits against the Suns, unless its for "CIA Pop", as the Spurs fans like to call him when he plays his apparent "mind-games".

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is confirmed battier is out and mcgrady is playing with a bum shoulder, no reason whatsoever that this should even be a tough game.

If we blow this and screw up a shot at great seeding we don't deserve to be a championship team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is confirmed battier is out and mcgrady is playing with a bum shoulder, no reason whatsoever that this should even be a tough game.

If we blow this and screw up a shot at great seeding we don't deserve to be a championship team.

that exactly what I told Ouchie yesterday.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Why in the hell does my thread of the year go unbumped and this POS is now the game thread? How can you skip a thread with the same subject title and decide to post a crappier version?

You guys never cease to amaze me. Last time I put effort into something here.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
everything about this game points to a W... and that makes me nervous for some reason. Gotta bring the same A game they brought on Wednesday. This Houston team just won by 23 on Wednesday without T-Mac or Yao. Sure it was against the Sonics, but the fact that without their two best players, they still won by 23 against anyone is impressive.

I feel the same way. It's just one of those games you're looking forward to. You see all the good things possibly happening by winning this game.
You see a team that looks vulnerable and no match for the Suns.
You're already looking forward to see what the Spurs and Lakers will do.

... and the Suns lose and are stuck with the 6th seed.

I'm nervous and predict a Suns loss.

Rockets 98
Suns 96

Amaré 25

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
:lmao:

:biglaugh:

In all seriousness though, sunsfn should've looked before he created this thread. I mean, it's not exactly hard to do. I'm pretty sure YJGS'd thread was in the upper echelon of the forum. But in seeing that, there is no reason for YJGS to fly off the handle about it. Even though his game thread sh*ts all over this one.

And after all that I'm going to make a prediction in this thread because Ryan's comment was just too funny not to respond to.

Suns 103
Rockets 99

Amare with 40 and 8

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Why in the hell does my thread of the year go unbumped and this POS is now the game thread? How can you skip a thread with the same subject title and decide to post a crappier version?

Bro - PLEEEEEZE give us unwashed maroons another chance!
Wow - I'm glad I have a life...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Suns fans vs. Suns fans over a GAME THREAD.

This forum has officially become the worst it's ever been.

STATfan4Life

Veteran
Reaction score
Can a moderator merge the threads?

I was wondering the same thing. I like to follow the posts in case I can't watch the game. It would be easier to do that with one game thread. If not, then of course I could just pick one and stay in it.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score

WHoops,

I honestly did not see the other game thread.............
Obviously I did not look hard enough.

Moderates can merge, delete, whatever........

Sorry YouJustGotSUNSD;1683557

sunsfn

P.S. I was looking for the words "game thread" in the title and did not see it so put this on.
Last year and some this year have those words in them...........not that they have to be, but that is what I was looking for.

sunsfn

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I feel the same way. It's just one of those games you're looking forward to. You see all the good things possibly happening by winning this game.
You see a team that looks vulnerable and no match for the Suns.
You're already looking forward to see what the Spurs and Lakers will do.

... and the Suns lose and are stuck with the 6th seed.

I'm nervous and predict a Suns loss.

Rockets 98
Suns 96

Amaré 25
I don't really see this game as an easy win, though it's a must-win. Houston was supposed to start dropping in the standings a long time ago, yet still they somehow remained ahead of us. As far as let-downs, I am more concerned about the GS game coming up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn