Stoudemire agrees to five-year deal with Knicks

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I don't think anyone would argue that a TE is better than Lee or another player. The last TE (or at least the majority of it) went into Sarver's pocket.

That's what I was thinking. I tried a search on the board but turned up nothing.

IIRC, the Suns had a pretty big TE the season Amare missed and Nash, Diaw, and Marion took the team to the WCF.

I think it was then but it expired and instead Tim Thomas was brought in (though he did fabulous).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if the suns could get the TE they had to do it. if for no other reason for PR reasons. "look, we got flexibility!" i fully expect it go unused.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last big trade exception was acquired in th KT trade. There was no way they Suns were going to use it because if they were willing to pay that luxury tax they would have just kept him.

The KT trade was a colossal mistake unless one is a banker.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The KT trade exception was under totally different circumstances. We were a taxpayer and using it effectively doubled the price of whoever we picked up. Now, we have a TE that if used does NOT make us a taxpayer depending on the contract being brought in.

Sarver still may not use it, but the actual chances of it being used are much, much better than the KT one.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What did the Suns do with the last big trade exception they had?

That would have put us over the luxury tax. Now we are still 4M$ under the cap have a 14M$ trade exception twice as big as the last one and a 14M$ expiring contract of a very good player.

If we can't get quality picks or talents with that we just suck.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would have put us over the luxury tax. Now we are still 4M$ under the cap have a 14M$ trade exception twice as big as the last one and a 14M$ expiring contract of a very good player.

If we can't get quality picks or talents with that we just suck.

Patience will be the key to capitalizing on those assets. I can see a team like Indiana or Philadelphia struggling during season, and realize they need to move a big contract and rebuild. A player like Granger or Iguodala could be stolen at that time just like Gasol was.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sarver still may not use it, but the actual chances of it being used are much, much better than the KT one.

It would be a complete waste to get it without the intent to use it. They'll likely have to lose 2 2nd round picks just to get the players they could have signed outright, plus they'll be missing out on about 4mil in cap space.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lee at $13-14 million for the next 5 years is a major mistake. Players making that much money better be able to create their own offense or be stellar defenders. He has neither of those traits. I know I'll catch hell for this, but give me Channing Frye at $6 million per season over David Lee at $13-14 million. And $6 million is a mistake on Frye unless he does some significant improving.

Joe

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lee at $13-14 million for the next 5 years is a major mistake. Players making that much money better be able to create their own offense or be stellar defenders. He has neither of those traits. I know I'll catch hell for this, but give me Channing Frye at $6 million per season over David Lee at $13-14 million. And $6 million is a mistake on Frye unless he does some significant improving.

Joe

i agree with everything you said. and i a BIG opponent of the money we just ponied up for frye. let's not compound one mistake with another.

lee looks like another googs signing, but lee's not as good as googs was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Joe

I'm sure Sarver will get someone better than Lee. :rolleyes:

IMO, Sarver will pocket most of the TE. I guess the issue, could or would Sarver to do better with the TE. I don't think so.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, Using the TE has to be balanced with the prospects of getting a FA a year from now when J-Rich comes off contract.