25.5 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
jstadvl

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
a picture is worth... I'm thinking we are perennial contenders. Best field in the NFL (safety and longevity for players), other teams know we're for real now, good F.A.'s will want to come here and why wouldn't the Boldins, the Dansbys etc. want to stay? Once you've had a taste your going to want the whole cake!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
a picture is worth... I'm thinking we are perennial contenders. Best field in the NFL (safety and longevity for players), other teams know we're for real now, good F.A.'s will want to come here and why wouldn't the Boldins, the Dansbys etc. want to stay? Once you've had a taste your going to want the whole cake!

Colin Cowherd was just talking about how Arizona was the perfect place for Kurt Warner for several reasons. Most of those apply to the other guys as well.

Field, climate, coaching, etc.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colin Cowherd was just talking about how Arizona was the perfect place for Kurt Warner for several reasons. Most of those apply to the other guys as well.

Field, climate, coaching, etc.

I heard that as well. It was in the context of Kurt's agent saying that the Jets had displayed an interest in Warner. Cowherd was saying that Warner would be making a huge mistake to sign with them as their entire environment works to his disadvantage, while AZ is almost a perfect fit.

That being said, and if money is the over-riding determinate of where Warner ends up, we'll lose a bidding war with the Jets (see: Pace, Calvin).

Hmmm, Mokler and crew might need to check out how they look in green. :)

JTS

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
I heard that as well. It was in the context of Kurt's agent saying that the Jets had displayed an interest in Warner. Cowherd was saying that Warner would be making a huge mistake to sign with them as their entire environment works to his disadvantage, while AZ is almost a perfect fit.

That being said, and if money is the over-riding determinate of where Warner ends up, we'll lose a bidding war with the Jets (see: Pace, Calvin).

Hmmm, Mokler and crew might need to check out how they look in green. :)

JTS

I'll put up all of my ASFN dollars to say that KW won't sign or even consider any team that either (1) plays in inclimate weather and/or (2) doesn't play in a dome.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll put up all of my ASFN dollars to say that KW won't sign or even consider any team that either (1) plays in inclimate weather and/or (2) doesn't play in a dome.

Just for the sake of discussion, say the Jets offer Warner $13M a year (the amount freed up by Favre's retirement), and the Cardinals (hopefully) don't match, then I think we'll know right away whether climate has anything to do with his decision-making process.

JTS

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I am not even on another team and a long time Cards fan and I do not even know if we are real. We have a lot to prove this coming year before we declare ourselves a dynasty. One superbowl since there were superbowls and not a win. We have taken one large step up a very tall mountain.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Just for the sake of discussion, say the Jets offer Warner $13M a year (the amount freed up by Favre's retirement), and the Cardinals (hopefully) don't match, then I think we'll know right away whether climate has anything to do with his decision-making process.

JTS

You're right, we'd find out where his true loyalties lie. But I bet he looks at the contributing factors of playing the windy Meadowlands and having a receiving corps led by Laverneaus Coles realizes he'd have a hard time being successful in New York.

I bet the Jets could offer $13 mill and the Cards could counter with $9 and he'd still stay here. It'll probably cost him $4 mill just to move all his kids up there. :biglaugh:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

JTS

Interesting. If I'm Warner and going to be 38 in June and really only want to play one more year I'd have to think hard about that extra $4 million no matter where I'd play.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why do we lose out ?

I think I know where you're coming from and you've got it wrong.

The Cards would lose out, not because they are cheap, but because they're now too smart to overpay a 38 year old QB no matter how well he played last season. I truly believe that we won't see the Cards doing that anymore for any player. If they can't get what is considered a fair deal they'll let the guy go just like they did with Pace.

Unless I'm really mistaken, Mike Bidwill knows he no longer has to pay a crummy team premium or overpay in an attempt to sell tickets.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I know where you're coming from and you've got it wrong.

The Cards would lose out, not because they are cheap, but because they're now too smart to overpay a 38 year old QB no matter how well he played last season. I truly believe that we won't see the Cards doing that anymore for any player. If they can't get what is considered a fair deal they'll let the guy go just like they did with Pace.

Unless I'm really mistaken, Mike Bidwill knows he no longer has to pay a crummy team premium or overpay in an attempt to sell tickets.

Thanks for posting that, DJ, because I didn't catch Nidan's drift when he asked the question.

I am not saying that I think the Cards are cheap, nor have I really ever been on that bandwagon. I've always felt, and posted accordingly, that I thought that being at SDS tied the Cardinals hands in financial matters and placed the Bidwills at a competitive disadvantage.

My post was saying that I don't think that the Jets are a particularly well run franchise right now, and I would look for them to throw stupid money around, similar to what they did last year with Pace. To me, I think that Warner would have to look at his situation and seriously consider the offer, just as the Cards would have to weigh their situation also.

JTS

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can certainly get with that, though personally I think he stays or retires

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Interesting. If I'm Warner and going to be 38 in June and really only want to play one more year I'd have to think hard about that extra $4 million no matter where I'd play.

True, but why would the Jets overpay for an aging quarterback only to have him retire after next year and leave them in the same spot they are now? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, DJ, because I didn't catch Nidan's drift when he asked the question.

I am not saying that I think the Cards are cheap, nor have I really ever been on that bandwagon. I've always felt, and posted accordingly, that I thought that being at SDS tied the Cardinals hands in financial matters and placed the Bidwills at a competitive disadvantage.

My post was saying that I don't think that the Jets are a particularly well run franchise right now, and I would look for them to throw stupid money around, similar to what they did last year with Pace. To me, I think that Warner would have to look at his situation and seriously consider the offer, just as the Cards would have to weigh their situation also.

JTS

Well it doesn't take much time on ASFN to know that if you get a relatively quick response to your post from Nidan on the Cards board its because he thinks you're insinuating the Cardinals are cheap or otherwise inept.

Its like me with Dansby. Bash KD and you'll likely hear from me right away. Though I tend to be a lot more long winded. :D

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You're right, we'd find out where his true loyalties lie. But I bet he looks at the contributing factors of playing the windy Meadowlands and having a receiving corps led by Laverneaus Coles realizes he'd have a hard time being successful in New York.

I bet the Jets could offer $13 mill and the Cards could counter with $9 and he'd still stay here. It'll probably cost him $4 mill just to move all his kids up there. :biglaugh:

Half of the extra 4 million would be eaten up by Federal, NY State taxes. They probably have the highest state tax rate in the nation. His agent is going to get his 10% of the 4 mil so Warner would net probably 1.8 mil. If his family moved to NY there goes the another mil. He is not going anywhere. He does not need money. He gives that much money away in two years. He will either play here or retire. Apparently his family like Airizona and Kurt is definitely a family man.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Half of the extra 4 million would be eaten up by Federal, NY State taxes. They probably have the highest state tax rate in the nation. His agent is going to get his 10% of the 4 mil so Warner would net probably 1.8 mil. If his family moved to NY there goes the another mil. He is not going anywhere. He does not need money. He gives that much money away in two years. He will either play here or retire. Apparently his family like Airizona and Kurt is definitely a family man.

Interesting that state taxes affect all pro athletes. If I'm not mistaken they have to pay state taxes in each state where they play games. A real bonanza for their CPAs.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Change of heart: Boldin to stay, no trade, and here's why:

1. It's apparent that Whiz is still turning the ship. We're going to be getting a tougher defense, and there's still some major changes to be made. Given that, I think we need all the continuity we can get right now.

2. Boldin stated that he will play hard, and he's shown that he wants to keep his promise. I would outright refuse a trade, and say that we can make a deal - but make no mistake, Boldin is here for another 2 years, regardless.

OP
OP
jstadvl

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
John, I never said dynasty. Especially knowing what our schedule is like next year. My drift was, we ARE NOT the same team , that years ago, would crumble at every one's feet (just because they are). We ARE THEM now. I'm willing to take bets, now, (don't get crazy) we make the playoffs next year. Forget Warner, that's my point, we are going to have our hands full of FA's that want to play here. See the trophy, see the bird next to it, add the amenities. My point is simply Stay or Go? You'd be an idiot NOT to want to play here. For a QB-I like what I see in Fitz, BreaKSTONE, Urban, and can't wait to see Doucet turned loose. RB's-the o line is just getting it, when they've been shored up? D-players, this is going to be a man handling defense next year, with freedom to roam.Super bowl every year? No. But, A "perrenial contender"? Yup.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson