Stargate: Universe

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Really? I thought Robert Carlyle as Dr. Rush was way cool. Maybe I'm biased because I like Carlyle.

Right now, he's the only character I can see myself getting interested in. Of course it's still very early in the shows life so I'll watch a few more episodes and see where it goes. I enjoyed the show though, I'm looking forward to the next one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching the first two episodes I have to say I'm very disappointed. I knew it was going to be more melodrama than sci-fi but I didn't expect it to be this extreme. For me, it's as if they combined the worst aspects of Lost and BSG and dumped everything that made the Stargate franchise special. Whiny and chaotic is not what I had hoped for. A dearth of quality sci-fi shows will keep me watching for awhile but it's pretty clear I'm not their target audience.

Steve

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the new tone. It reminds me more of the original movie. The original movie was more drama then dramedy where I think the other shows ventured a little to often.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I really like the new tone. It reminds me more of the original movie. The original movie was more drama then dramedy where I think the other shows ventured a little to often.

I completely agree! I think that's why I never really bought into SG1, years ago and I never even felt like watching even one episode of Atlantis...They just seemed to be too watered down from the original movie. BTW: anytime the movie is on t.v. I watch it.

SG:U is just the type of series I was looking for, and hoping for, personally. I love the fact that they picked some unknown actors to play some prominent characters. RC is awesome and I expect Ming-Na to have a major role by mid-season.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I never even felt like watching even one episode of Atlantis

Funny you should mention that. The lighter episodes kept me afloat for that show, and Rodney McKay was the unapologetic star of the show, which I found fascinating. The showrunners seemed to be at odds for the timbre of the show. They kept delving into this WWII-themed drama mixed with vampire aliens that made it a little uneven. Actually, I felt they were shooting (thematically) a little too dark for that show on occasion given the casting and how they originally launched the show. To me, the hook for Atlantis was about being on the cutting edge of exploration, but they were going backwards in terms of story arc. What they did a good job of, IMO, was balancing the main characters with creating uncertainty. Like a TV writer friend of mine says, run 'em up a tree, throw rocks at them, and bring them down from the tree. But sometimes Atlantis would go askew and simply kill off a major character, which was bittersweet. And interesting. It was a geeky soap opera. And in the FWIW, the 2nd-to-last episode, Vegas, was one of the coolest episodes of any cable show I've ever seen. If they had gone that direction for the whole show, its cult status would have been legendary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtyiJrTK9Q

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had six or seven seasons of SG1 episodes in .avi format collecting dust for a few years. I watched a few first season episodes but never got into it.

I'd however really enjoy this show.

I dl'd season 1 of Atlantis. Pilot was okay, but I didn't enjoy it near as much as I enjoyed Universe. Will watch a couple more episodes today.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about it today after watching Ep. 3 online. I hate to ruin another thread with a Lost sidetrack, but it dawned on me they've literally stolen the recipe from Lost. Think about it:

- Survival situation, with a constant search for basic necessities.

- Destabilized community with a battle over leadership.

- Destabilized characters accustomed to structure and status

- A future facing an uncertain (and possibly even unnatural) foe

This is Lost ... in space. (As opposed to Lost in Space). You can already see the Ying/Yang battle being established between Scott (order) and Carlyle (chaos), just like Jack and Locke. Eli is the comic relief (Hugo). There's a HUGE ensemble cast with key roles in the storyline.

OK. Apologies if I'm just seeing Lost in everything these days, but this one seemed overt to me, especially considering the complete U-turn towards drama. I mean, they even have the episode-ending wispy music montage where everyone is reflecting on the recent events.

And just tell me that dust devil thing wasn't a shout out to the 'smoke monster.'

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must have Lost on the brain. I just don't see it. This show has more in common with the start of Atlantis then anything else. Stuck on a city across the galaxy, battle over leadership (not trusting Dr. Weir) and other characters accustomed to having control via military versus science etc...

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I've had six or seven seasons of SG1 episodes in .avi format collecting dust for a few years. I watched a few first season episodes but never got into it.

I'd however really enjoy this show.

I dl'd season 1 of Atlantis. Pilot was okay, but I didn't enjoy it near as much as I enjoyed Universe. Will watch a couple more episodes today.

Altantis got a lot better around the start of season 3 IMO. When they added Ronin Dex to the team, the show took off big time.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm not dumping this show, but it's status on my TIVO list is in jeopardy. I'll give it a few more episodes and see what happens.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears SGU has an audience. Pulled 2.5 million people in the U.S. and was the highest rated sci-fi debut ever in Canada and Australia. It Australia it pulled a 6.5 share (!!!!). Ratings were stronger for Ep. 3.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
It appears SGU has an audience. Pulled 2.5 million people in the U.S. and was the highest rated sci-fi debut ever in Canada and Australia. It Australia it pulled a 6.5 share (!!!!). Ratings were stronger for Ep. 3.

Wow, that's pretty impressive, especially in the "Friday Night Death Slot." I realize that death slot is more for "major" networks, but that's still a lot of people on a Friday night.

Personally, I like this show, I watch it every week.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, did anybody else want to just punch Dr. Rush right in the nose that last episode? Really, this guy has it coming. I didn't even feel sorry for him over his "mental" state. I really didn't. If the writers are trying to get people to hate this character, they are doing a great job. lol.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, did anybody else want to just punch Dr. Rush right in the nose that last episode? Really, this guy has it coming. I didn't even feel sorry for him over his "mental" state. I really didn't. If the writers are trying to get people to hate this character, they are doing a great job. lol.

It reminds me of a Crichton novel where the brightest characters are destabilizing forces in stressful group dynamics. Crichton was obsessed with these sort of characters. I think he understood that Americans tend to lean on science (and scientists) when nature challenges us, and he would use that against the reader -- challenging their trust. In his books, when scientists would express their human nature, the fears they revealed were far more terrifying than anything you or I could imagine.

Rush certainly seems like he has an intuitive understanding of the ship, but you risk throwing yourself in a boat with a man bent on self-destruction. I love that dynamic. I hope they mine that element more, but I think it would be even more interesting if Rush started gaining some supporters and pitted them against the group leadership. They shouldn't have Rush as a lone martyr for much longer.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allegedly the show's universe is going to expand in unique ways in the next episode. If you've been tuning out, might be a good time to tune back in this week.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I think they have been trying to establish each main character to this point to give viewers a frame of reference. I have read there is some really cool elements coming up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very disappointed in this show early on but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. I think the few post-hiatus episodes so far have been solid and I like the direction it's going. If you're on the fence you might want to give it another chance.

Steve

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I was very disappointed in this show early on but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. I think the few post-hiatus episodes so far have been solid and I like the direction it's going. If you're on the fence you might want to give it another chance.

Steve

+1

Back on solid ground in terms of the coveted TIVO slot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging from the activity here it doesn't look like too many people returned following the show's hiatus. It's too bad as it was a very solid 2nd half season. Tonight's season finale sets up next season well. The show still has a bit more melodrama than I'd like but all in all it was a pretty good first season.

Steve

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am back watching the show but I am getting a tad irritated again. The show runners promised more action this season. There has been a little more but not SG1 type of action. They really need to step it up IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am back watching the show but I am getting a tad irritated again. The show runners promised more action this season. There has been a little more but not SG1 type of action. They really need to step it up IMO.

There was definitely more action in the second half of the season but you're right, it's still nowhere near the level of previous Stargate series. It's paced more like BSG (post New Caprica) but Battlestar had more interesting side stories.

They could really do themselves a favor by dumping the useless earth visits. They could also help themselves by killing off Colonel Young, he's just too weak of a character IMO. I'd love to see him replaced by Lou Diamond Phillips or even Rhona Mitra (I know, highly unlikely).

Steve

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was definitely more action in the second half of the season but you're right, it's still nowhere near the level of previous Stargate series. It's paced more like BSG (post New Caprica) but Battlestar had more interesting side stories.

They could really do themselves a favor by dumping the useless earth visits. They could also help themselves by killing off Colonel Young, he's just too weak of a character IMO. I'd love to see him replaced by Lou Diamond Phillips or even Rhona Mitra (I know, highly unlikely).

Steve

Colonel Young doesn't bother me as a character per say. However, he doesn't really have much to do. With the story lines he has been relegated to him managing the ship. Yes, there have been some good story lines with military versus civilians but that only stretches so far.

IMO, what this show really needs is more missions off ship on the planets. Not just these little 20 minute sequences. Even the aliens that are trying to take the ship remind me of the Replicator story lines. They are out there but when out of sight out of mind. They don't feel like a constant threat so even seeing them more wouldn't do it for me.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally went back and watched the rest of the season. I stand by my Lost comparison. In fact, I wasn't the only one to see the correlation. I think Brad Wright and partner knew they had to come up with a new angle for Stargate and borrowed heavily from Lost. Carlyle = Locke. Eli = Hurley. Commander = Jack. They even use the stones as a kind of flashback telling mechanism so we can see what's driving their lives and how all of these people were sort of "lost" before they got lost on a ship. The ship is definitely the mysterious island that they will discover piece by piece. The chair = the hatch.

All the elements are there except the storytelling is no where near Lost's lofty status and the show just takes itself TOO SERIOUSLY all the time. Also, the ship should be a featured character. I think they forget that too often. Most of the time ... it's just a ship. And it shouldn't be. It's special. It keeps my interest the few moments they flash a bit of mystery.

It has potential though. Rush and Eli are very good characters that should develop. Ming Na has been conflicted and I think there's a lot more story to tell there. I can't believe they got rid of Spencer. There went the writer's No. 1 agitator and loose cannon. They did not use him enough.

I'll be watching Season 2 to see how this thing develops.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add ... in case some of you didn't know, the first 10 episodes that aired are actually only half of a season. The other half are on a DVD called Season 1.5. You can stream it on Netflix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder, the second season airs this Tuesday (Sept. 28th). It looks like SyFy channel will be airing the last 13 episodes of season one leading into the season 2 opener. For those of you still on the fence, it ended fairly well with a very good 2 part season ending cliffhanger.

Steve