Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Erik Jendresen on Writing Star Trek XI
Source: SyFy Portal
March 10, 2005

SyFy Portal interviewed Erik Jendresen (Band of Brothers), writer of the 11th "Star Trek" film, who revealed new details about what we can expect. Jendresen says the film will feature a new slate of characters, as well as a new cast.

"I can certainly say that the story concept, the basic idea of this thing, is pretty damn big," he said. "It's a noble enterprise, pun intended." He says at first he was not interested in joining the project, but then they asked him if they could approach the movie with a clean slate. "When I heard the notion, I realized that the people I was talking to were serious, and genuinely dedicated. I started to really think about it, and, ultimately to develop a story. And it's a pretty good one."

Jendresen confirmed that the movie would take place more than a century before Captain Kirk, but acknowledged that it would not be an Enterprise spinoff.

"We're going 160-odd years before Kirk is born. It's an earlier time, and I think it would be really refreshing to feel something in the course of telling this tale, instead of being wowed by special effects, or presenting another crew in jeopardy where, in the end, the captain does something brilliant, and all's right with the world."

But that doesn't mean that everything is okay. "By the end of this story, everyone isn't fine," Jendresen added. "I can safely say as a storyteller with certain standards... my intention is literally as a writer, as a storyteller, as a filmmaker, to go boldly where no one has gone before."

:|

Djaughe

Reaction score
Personally I think they should do a movie of about "The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonian Singh." Methinks that would rock!

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else not give a frack about pre Kirk ST? I mean, Enterprise is decent, but I'd rather go past the other series, not before them.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Does anyone else not give a frack about pre Kirk ST? I mean, Enterprise is decent, but I'd rather go past the other series, not before them.

I agree 100%. Go forward. Enough with pre-Kirk stuff. Bleh.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:

I couldn't agree more.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
:biglaugh:

Man I hope you are kidding. Star Trek Voyager... Worst Star Trek ever.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well......

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BTW

Djaughe hates Trekkers, you open yourself up to ridicule :D

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
:biglaugh:

Man I hope you are kidding. Star Trek Voyager... Worst Star Trek ever.
Really i thought DS9 was the worst Star Trek thats why they have to incorporate the war with the Dominion. Take away the war and the whole DS9 is junk.

Djaughe

Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Really i thought DS9 was the worst Star Trek thats why they have to incorporate the war with the Dominion. Take away the war and the whole DS9 is junk.

Take away Worf and the show is cancelled alot quicker.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I liked Voyager too. Much better than DS9, it was boring.
Sure it was a little corney sometimes but then so is Enterprise and I watch that.

I like the pre Kirk idea. The birth of the federation could be an interesting story line.

I only wish sometimes they would make it a little more realistic. They have like the same command crew all the time. Nobody gets promoted to another ship. The same people go on away missions all the time. :shrug:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Are you guys kidding me? DS9 had a interwoven story based on politics, religion and actual character developement that was carried out over 7 years. Voyager destroyed any chance of being good when it ignored potential conflict with the Maquis and when they ditched the "holy crap we are 70 years from the federation we better conserve our engery, use rations and what not" for the "Everything is fine, use all the power you want and lets blow up 3 shuttles a week" idea. Also, once they brought in 7 of 9, it turned into the 7 of 9 show. Oh and when the doctor sang..... ugh....

Also, Worf did not effect DS9's neilson ratings, which were consistantly higher than Voyagers, despite being syndicated.

Djaughe

Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
Are you guys kidding me? DS9 had a interwoven story based on politics, religion and actual character developement that was carried out over 7 years. Voyager destroyed any chance of being good when it ignored potential conflict with the Maquis and when they ditched the "holy crap we are 70 years from the federation we better conserve our engery, use rations and what not" for the "Everything is fine, use all the power you want and lets blow up 3 shuttles a week" idea. Also, once they brought in 7 of 9, it turned into the 7 of 9 show. Oh and when the doctor sang..... ugh....

Also, Worf did not effect DS9's neilson ratings, which were consistantly higher than Voyagers, despite being syndicated.

Personally all 3 spinoffs since TNG has sucked pretty hard.

• DS9 just had too much spiritual b.s. with that stupid worm hole. It is amazing they carried it for 7 years though.
  • Voyager got mixed up with too much political crap everytime they hit a new planet.
  • Enterprise...well what can you say about it? The only episode where they can take a hot chick and make her look like a boy. See pic below:
You must be registered for see images

Its sad to think the best looking vulcan was actually kristie alley...

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, without Capt. James T. Kirk, it isn't Star Trek. But that is just me.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Erik Jendresen on Star Trek: The Beginning
Source: TrekWeb
August 26, 2005

TrekWeb reports that writer Erik Jendresen (Band of Brothers) gave an update to Dreamwatch magazine about the prequel Star Trek: The Beginning. He says he has turned in the first draft of the script to Paramount Pictures.

"This would take place just a couple of years after the end of the events in 'Enterprise' but well before the original series, and it would look at the inciting incident that started everything," he said. "The story is big and epic, and it isn't as antiseptic as the television stories had to be."

Jendresen adds that "The Beginning" would also not be centered around the traditional "Star Trek" model of a captain, crew, and starship.

"We're looking at a very small group of men and women, particularly focusing on one character," he explains. "There are a couple of ships, including a principal ship, but this is not a traditional captain and crew of a starship story in the least."

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Personally I think they should do a movie of about "The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonian Singh." Methinks that would rock!
whatta nerd. :|

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.J. Abrams to do next Star Trek Movie

Report: 'Star Trek' set for '08 revival
Variety: J.J. Abrams to take the helm

Friday, April 21, 2006; Posted: 8:32 a.m. EDT (12:32 GMT)

Manage Alerts | What Is This? LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson