Spring Training News

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
When Torey asks Zack to be somewhere, he's there? What does that mean? When has a manager ever asked a player to be somewhere?

And when the coaches ask him ... to do something and apply himself ... he does? Zack applies himself when he asked to? Not on his own?

Why would Torey even announce something like that?

My first job out of college had me supervising a staff. Without thinking, I said to one of my people, "Do me a favor and ..."

My manager pulled me aside and said that he appreciated my manners. But I'm getting paid to plan and delegate. And they are getting paid to perform.

He said no one is doing their job as a favor. We are all getting paid to do our jobs. I appreciated that he adjusted my management thinking right from
the get-go.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
When Torey asks Zack to be somewhere, he's there? What does that mean? When has a manager ever asked a player to be somewhere?

And when the coaches ask him ... to do something and apply himself ... he does? Zack applies himself when he asked to? Not on his own?

Why would Torey even announce something like that?

My first job out of college had me supervising a staff. Without thinking, I said to one of my people, "Do me a favor and ..."

My manager pulled me aside and said that he appreciated my manners. But I'm getting paid to plan and delegate. And they are getting paid to perform.

He said no one is doing their job as a favor. We are all getting paid to do our jobs. I appreciated that he adjusted my management thinking right from
the get-go.

It was because Zack showed up 2 days late for Spring Training. Here is part of the article from Arizonasports.com:

Greinke stated he was dealing with a stiff neck from his flight, which prevented him from working out on Saturday. But when asked about his thoughts on how the perception of showing up late to Spring Training would be viewed by his teammates, he was surprisingly introspective in the moment about the impact it would have.

“No, I didn’t think about it, but maybe I should have,” Greinke said. “That was Torey’s biggest complaint about it was that, so maybe I should have looked at that closer.”

Manager Torey Lovullo backed up his veteran pitcher’s late arrival.

“Once again, with the situation with Zack, he is so polished and so understanding of who he is and what he needs that I never, ever have an issue with his program,” Lovullo said.

“We modify it, I know that you’ve seen that over the past couple years, we do our absolute best to modify it and fit his needs to make sure he’s ready. And he never hasn’t been.”

So it looks like Torey told him, in private, he was setting a bad example for his teammates but did not throw Zack under the bus in public.

Last edited:

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
“No, I didn’t think about it, but maybe I should have,” Greinke said. “That was Torey’s biggest complaint about it was that, so maybe I should have looked at that closer.”

His honesty is admirable. I don't think anyone's questioned that over the years. But I hear a GM down in Jupiter, FL is asking around for his phone #> :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson