SpaceX's 1st Starship launches on epic test flight, explodes in 'rapid unscheduled disassembly'

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure got really quiet in that crowd just ahead of the explosion and then it explodes and everyone cheers? Is this the space version of a captive audience?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure got really quiet in that crowd just ahead of the explosion and then it explodes and everyone cheers? Is this the space version of a captive audience?
Right? I guess they were happy to just get that far.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the main goal was to get off the launch pad and not blow up the big tower. Everything else was gravy.

The silence came when the Main Engine Cutoff never occurred. Everyone knew that getting to orbit was not likely on this first attempt but cheer was for getting as far as they did.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
People have never seemingly appreciated that the Hindenburg also made a successful crossing of the Atlantic that the Titanic could only dream about.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
People have never seemingly appreciated that the Hindenburg also made a successful crossing of the Atlantic that the Titanic could only dream about.

And look how safe the Hindenburg turned out to be! I agree, that's a great comparison.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand Space-X's autofly feature needs a little work.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the part that is being ignored or intentionally hidden. The reason Tesla used the launch setup they used is that the intent is to go somewhere else and then be able to launch and return. If you have to use a water cooled launchpad to safely take off from Earth, you can't then do that to come home from the moon, Mars etc because you can't guarantee you've got water for a water cooled launchpad.

So while they insist the goal was to get a certain height etc, the "actual" goal was a total failure, prove they could take off without a special launchpad. Multiple engines were destroyed on takeoff they think from rocks and debris.

It caused all sorts of secondary damage, one car was virtually destroyed by debris that went way beyond the debris area.

Yes this kind of stuff happens there's a learning curve, but at least be honest. The actual goal is to prove they can take off from a setup that can be duplicated in space, they did NOT do that.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the part that is being ignored or intentionally hidden. The reason Tesla used the launch setup they used is that the intent is to go somewhere else and then be able to launch and return. If you have to use a water cooled launchpad to safely take off from Earth, you can't then do that to come home from the moon, Mars etc because you can't guarantee you've got water for a water cooled launchpad.

The Booster was the one that tore up the launch pad. While the Starship has successfully taken off multiple times with no damage to the launch pad and no water used.

On the Moon/Mars/Elsewhere it would only be the Starship returning to earth. Plus the gravity on the Moon and Mars is a fraction of what it is on earth. So less power would be needed to get back into space.

And if you compare the Engines on both space craft you can see why the booster tore up the pad. 29 Raptor engines on the Booster vs 3 Raptor engines on the Starship. The Starship also has 3 larger Raptor Vacuum engines for use in space.

Booster Engines:
You must be registered for see images attach

Starship Engines:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When it was tumbling, it looked like one of my Kerbel rockets. But sometimes when they tumble I can still will them into space.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard