Space Station Could Get Laser Cannon to Destroy Orbital Debris

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Space Station Could Get Laser Cannon to Destroy Orbital Debris

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...r-cannon-to-destroy-orbital-debris/ar-BBjUyxb

The International Space Station could one day get armed with a laser to shoot down orbiting debris, researchers say.

This concept could eventually lead to a laser-firing satellite that could get rid of a large percentage of the most troublesome space junk orbiting Earth, scientists added.

NASA researchers suggest that nearly 3,000 tons of space debris reside in low-Earth orbit, including derelict satellites, rocket bodies and parts and tiny bits of wreckage produced by collisions involving larger objects. Impacts from pieces of junk that are only the size of screws can still inflict catastrophic damage on satellites, since these projectiles can travel at speeds on the order of 22,370 mph (36,000 km/h).

The problem of space debris is growing as more satellites and spacecraft get sent into space. Moreover, large pieces of junk can generate lots of small fragments if they get hit, and those fragments can then go on to strike other objects in orbit for a chain reaction of destruction.

Most spacecraft, including the International Space Station, can withstand impacts from debris smaller than about 0.4 inches (1 centimeter) with adequate shielding. However, ground-based radar and computer models suggest that more than 700,000 pieces of debris larger than 0.4 inches now orbit Earth. Although items larger than 4 inches (10 cm) are big enough for astronomers to spot, debris between 0.4 and 4 inches (1 to 10 cm) in size is significantly more difficult to identify and dodge.

Now researchers suggest the Extreme Universe Space Observatory (EUSO), scheduled to be installed on Japan's module on the space station in 2017, could help the orbiting complex detect dangerous debris. They add that a powerful laser under development could then help shoot down this space garbage.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Just appeasing the public. They are really arming that thing to defend us against the space aliens that are coming!

Where's my tin foil hat?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I think "space station" I still think of Deep Space Nine or Space Station V from "2001: A Space Odyssey" or other large communities in space with many ports, rooms, etc.

Cannot believe it is 2015 and we basically all we have is a floating tube in space. :rolleyes:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
When I think "space station" I still think of Deep Space Nine or Space Station V from "2001: A Space Odyssey" or other large communities in space with many ports, rooms, etc.

Cannot believe it is 2015 and we basically all we have is a floating tube in space. :rolleyes:

If we allow the Cardassians to pillage our world for 50 years, they'll build us a space station. Instead we just have the Kardashians pillaging the world with no benefit.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just appeasing the public. They are really arming that thing to defend us against the space aliens that are coming!

Where's my tin foil hat?

HA HA! Although I don't think you are far off. This is probably an excuse to arm satellites for defense or offensive capabilities in space.