So what's next?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Summer league came and went. Mostly positive observations made about our top rookies and second year players.

What's next? A couple of months kicking dust? Is this the time to catch up on the NFL?

Cause preseason doesn't start until September?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing of real import. I imagine they are still trying to deal Chandler or Len. And of course they are looking to deal Knight.

Knights value nhas plummeted so far, it will take a first round pick to move him. I say keep him and let him compete for playing time.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing of real import. I imagine they are still trying to deal Chandler or Len. And of course they are looking to deal Knight.

Knights vakuenhas plummeted so far, it will take a first round pick to move him. I say keep him and let him compete for playing time.

Makes sense as they can afford his salary and why give up any assets (like a first round pick) to get rid of him.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
2017 season: Lots of losing.

Basically its just an 82 game summer league. We will continue to grow this kinder-team and hopefully in 2-3 years we will be contenders.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Porter because of his limited athleticism.

Ayton and Bamba seem great, franchise-player caliber prospects.

Doncic seems also special, some kind of european version of Booker with more passing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so not ready for another season of tanking even if it disguised as playing younger players.

The Suns need to show me something. Tomorrow does not always come.

If the Suns have a chance to make a key trade this season, such as before the trade deadline, they need to do it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Porter because of his limited athleticism.

Ayton and Bamba seem great, franchise-player caliber prospects.

Doncic seems also special, some kind of european version of Booker with more passing.

Agreed. Porter seems like a bigger Jabari Parker to me. Doncic looks great offensively but I'm not sure his fit in Phoenix.

Other than the two main centers there's some other intereresting bigs who are more project-ish...

Wendell Carter - Duke
Jaren Jackson - Michigan St
Robert Williams - Texas A&M
Mitchell Robinson - Western Kentucky

All lotto picks according to DX. It's like the opposite of this past draft that had the deep PG class.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need to extend Warren this offseason to a reasonable extension. He was great to start last season but suffered his "head" injury that caused him to regress a bit. He did look better after the All Star break but not as good as he was early in the year. I'm worried he'll get a ridiculous contract offer because wings or tweener forwards are getting big deals still in today's NBA and Warren can play both forward spots. He put up better numbers and is a better player than Otto Porter, who got a 4 year $106 million deal with Brooklyn that was matched by Washington. I know Brooklyn overpaid because he was a restricted free agent but the same could happen with Warren. I'd like to see Warren resigned for between $10-12 million, which would be fair, but the chances he gets an offer sheet for a reasonable amount are slim IMO. They definitely need to open a dialogue with him and his agent about an extension, whether one is signed or not is another thing. Hopefully we don't insult him with an offer like we did with JJ back in the day.

I know I wanted Len to sign an extension prior to last season but that was largely to avoid him being a restricted free agent and getting a deal similar to Timofey Mozgov, Miles Plumlee, or Meyers Leonard for in last years free agency. Unlike Len, Warren is definitely a quality NBA player. His ceiling is questionable but I think he's proved he can be an effective starter or a really good bench player. I would be really surprised if he didn't have an almost 3 weeks into free agency like Len.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
With Len, McD needs to get props. He let him test the market, and it seem there is no market, so if they are stuck with the cheap restrictive price tag he has now, that is a bargain for a developing 7+ foot center!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Len, McD needs to get props. He let him test the market, and it seem there is no market, so if they are stuck with the cheap restrictive price tag he has now, that is a bargain for a developing 7+ foot center!

I won't give him credit until Len is resigned. Remember how Bledsoe waited until August for extension because there was no market for him. We bid against ourselves to retain him. Same thing could happen with Len.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I won't give him credit until Len is resigned. Remember how Bledsoe waited until August for extension because there was no market for him. We bid against ourselves to retain him. Same thing could happen with Len.
Huuuuuuuuuuge difference between those two situations. Bledsoe had a market, the problem for him was everyone knew the Suns wanted him to sign a 4 year max (the most an opposing team could offer) so they could match, while Bledsoe and his agent wanted the 5 year super max, the Suns ended up getting him at the rate they wanted while Bledsoe got the years he wanted.

Len on the other hand isn't in a situation where the mechanics of restricted free agency are keeping teams from making an offer. His problem is his level of play makes even his qualifying offer an overpay.

I'm glad the Suns didn't give Len the riches some here hoped they would around a year ago, but I don't think that requires a lot of credit because IMO it was never a actual consideration by the team.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Huuuuuuuuuuge difference between those two situations. Bledsoe had a market, the problem for him was everyone knew the Suns wanted him to sign a 4 year max (the most an opposing team could offer) so they could match, while Bledsoe and his agent wanted the 5 year super max, the Suns ended up getting him at the rate they wanted while Bledsoe got the years he wanted.

Len on the other hand isn't in a situation where the mechanics of restricted free agency are keeping teams from making an offer. His problem is his level of play makes even his qualifying offer an overpay.

I'm glad the Suns didn't give Len the riches some here hoped they would around a year ago, but I don't think that requires a lot of credit because IMO it was never a actual consideration by the team.

I suppose Mozgov gave us all cause for concern with his outrageous contract. As bad as Len was last year he's still on a par with Mozgov - ahead of him on most stats but he looks awful doing it. As things turned out with Timofey, he might a good bit of the reason everyone's staying away from Len. I suspect if Len does not get another offer the Suns will give him two years at like 6 million - his qualifying offer is 4.2. That way, if he does turn things around, we would benefit from it - even if he wants to leave.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm so not ready for another season of tanking even if it disguised as playing younger players.

The Suns need to show me something. Tomorrow does not always come.

If the Suns have a chance to make a key trade this season, such as before the trade deadline, they need to do it.

Agreed. I want to see something substantial now. I want to see some potential realized.... something!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn