So WAYWARDFAN...Why didn't you like Shawshank Redemption?! :)

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now that we have all the movies linked I decided to go back and read some of them... Now I want to know how and the hell you couldn't like this movie?! :hulk:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Now that we have all the movies linked I decided to go back and read some of them... Now I want to know how and the hell you couldn't like this movie?! :hulk:

how could someone not like Shawshank Redemption..... it's one of the best movies ever (in my humble opinion).

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He felt the "sisters" got a raw deal....

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply, its too long and I don't like Tim Robbins.

Man, how old is this from?

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
A great movie! I'm not sure why Wayward would not like it, I'm even less sure why he refuses to elaborate. I'd have to say it was my second favorite movie ever, but I can't exactly say it got screwed out of the Best Picture Oscar. Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever.

An interesting point from the movie. While it is called The Shawshank Redemption nobody in the movie really was redeemed. Not in the classic view of the word. You know, you do something bad, realize it, then redeem (save) yourself by doing something good.

Andy didn't really experience redemption so much as vindication. He did something good, but he never really did anything too bad. Red did something bad, but he never really did anything good to make up for it. He was saved, he wasn't exactly redeemed.

Redemption is when you act like a *******, realize you've been a *******, and when someone tries to call you a *******, you make an effort to show them that you are no longer a *******.

I always just found that interesting.

Two other tidbits of trivia:

Red says that hope is a 'sh$%tty pipedream' and Andy's hopes hinge on his escape through a 'sh$%tty pipe'

When Andy has to go to the infirmary, Red and the guys collect rocks so Andy can carve chess pieces. Red says they gathered enough rocks to keep Andy busy "until rapture". In the script, Andy kills time before his escape (his personal rapture) by putting the finishing touches on the last chess piece. Nice little touch.