Snake's Draft

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
First I would like to thank both Randy Gregory and Shane Ray for being stupid before the draft so they would drop to us because otherwise we would have no shot at either of them since they were considered top ten picks. I believe both will be there for us to take at 24. My top five in the first round that may be there for us are Randy Gregory, Todd Gurley, Shane Ray, Alvin Dupree and Cam Irving. I believe the Cards will draft for need the first five rounds. I also think they will trade down at least once in this draft.

1. Randy Gregory OLB Nebraska is my pick at 24. We need a top flight pass rusher badly and I believe Gregory falls into our lap. Pairing him up with Alex Okafor will give us a solid pass rush from the outside. The Cardinals have ignored drafting a top pass rusher for far too long and finally they get one. At 6'5" he has great length with long 34" arms. He is a well disciplined player for setting the edge. Knows how to set up a blocker and has multiple pass rush moves. Gets around the corner in a hurry and has top closing quickness to get to the QB or RB.

2. PJ Williams CB 6'0" 194 Florida State - I still think this pick can go in several directions. CB, DT, ILB and RB. I picked PJ because I just don't think we can get a CB with his potential past the second round. I don't think Shane Ray would fall this far, but if he did I would take him. This would also be a good spot to get one of the top Inside linebackers like Shaq Thompson.

3. Paul Dawson ILB 6'0" 235 TCU I was looking at Stephone Anthony, Denzel Perryman, Hau'oli Kikaha, Jay Ajayi and Nate Orchard for this pick as well. My preference would be to double up on pass rushers and take either Kikaha or Orchard with this pick if either were there, but based on need I went with the most instinctive ILB that plays both the run and pass well.

4. David Johnson RB 6'1" 224 Northern Iowa Again going with need and by what the Cards are saying that they can get a RB later in the draft I select Johnson here. I think he is a good value for the fourth round. I would love for the Cards to draft Todd Gurley in the first, but this is where I think they get their RB.

5. Xavier Williams DT 6'2" 325 Northern Iowa Should be able to come in and be a backup nose tackle right away.

Rounds 6 and 7 BPA. I can see a WR/KR with one of the picks.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randy Gregory has been reported as of today at weighing 225 lbs (Sirius NFL) and there are multiple issues beyond just the drug test. More will be coming out.

Multiple teams have moved him in the DND, let alone out of the first round.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Randy Gregory has been reported as of today at weighing 225 lbs (Sirius NFL) and there are multiple issues beyond just the drug test. More will be coming out.

Yeah, if you listen to people who talk to NFL front office people, they insinuate that there are far more issues than are public.

Another example of JUCO baggage

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you listen to people who talk to NFL front office people, they insinuate that there are far more issues than are public.

If he has lost 30-40 pounds in a few months...

tweeker

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If he has lost 30-40 pounds in a few months...

tweeker

30-40 pounds?

If he is at 225, that was his playing weight at Nebraska, and is 13 pounds lighter then his pro day weight of 238 on March 5th.

I find it odd that this "additional" concerns stuff is coming out only 2 days before the draft. Your telling me know one knew this stuff weeks ago? It could all be true, but the timing just seems really ODD to me.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

There are. I wish I was at liberty to disclose some of the things I have been told. I seriously doubt the Cards consider him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the weight is not the main issue .3 days a go he posted a video and he weight 245
the problem is not also weed but his head.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the common rumor is the kid is similar to former UCLA basketball player Reeves Nelson. Not in that he terrorizes his teammates, but that he apparently suffers from depression and anxiety and that he also apparently at one point or another was on a "program" to get bigger that aggravated his issues.

Everything you read said smart kid, not a bad kid but his issues are considered difficult to manage.

Don't know his background, but sounds like they're concerned about his ability to handle the stress of the NFL.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Can you say after the draft?
Eventually. I'll generalize though.

Chances are that if I did say anything, nothing would ever come of it. But, with the internet, you never know and I'd hate for something to be somehow tracked back to him telling me something.

I'm probably being stupid about it but why take an un-necessary chance and possibly ruin a friendship, especially since it's his livelihood.

I was even leery in another thread talking about positive marijuana test and saying they drafted 3 guys that tested positive at the combine last year. I didn't say the names but I'm overly cautious about that kind of stuff.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Ok, three teams out of 32 say no and the others drafting late are salivating at a chance of a potential premier pass rusher... it is the draft, excuse me for being a smart @ss lol

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I heard ex-Redskins GM Vinny Cerrato on a late night sports talk show talking about the draft last night.

The talk eventually got around to Gregory. Cerrato said he wouldn't touch him.

I didn't hear everything but it seemed like Cerrato said that Gregory skipped most or even all the practices before Nebraska's bowl game this year. Some how the coaches still allowed him to play.

He also said that teams felt that he didn't tell them the truth about working out and trying to put on weight after the combine. Cerrato said that he weighed the same at his pro day and it was felt that he hadn't put in the work to address concerns coaches expressed at the combine.

He told them he would be working hard at it, and coaches felt he didn't follow through, and really didn't tell the truth.

He felt these things were bigger red flags than the drug issues.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30-40 pounds?

If he is at 225, that was his playing weight at Nebraska, and is 13 pounds lighter then his pro day weight of 238 on March 5th.

I find it odd that this "additional" concerns stuff is coming out only 2 days before the draft. Your telling me know one knew this stuff weeks ago? It could all be true, but the timing just seems really ODD to me.

Ah I had read his playing weight was around 250.

Apparently a lot of people knew this stuff more than 2 days ago, just no one was talking about it.

I have heard it from enough people that it seems very legitimate.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I wish we were but I believe the Cards are going to do exactly what they said and let Shipley and Ted Larson battle for the spot. My money is on Larson.
If Erving is around at 24, he has to be in play. I think he may be gone though. He's one of the few players that I have asked about that has received a very favorable report. And I've asked about a lot of players this week.