Should the Pac-10 expand?

chickenhead

Reaction score
Couldn't find another thread on this, so apologies if it's been discussed. What do you think? Should the Pac-10 expand to 12 teams (with a championship game?), and if so, which two?

I agree with many that if it happens, it's crucial to keep the rivalry and traveling pairs in place. That's a strike against San Diego State and Boise State at the moment, and a point in favor of BYU and Utah. BYU and ASU could renew their old WAC rivalry as well. Occasionally Colorado and Texas schools get thrown into the mix, but I really think that's going too far afield.

I'm personally not a fan of the conference championship game, and am a big fan of the round-robin setup the Pac-10 has now. I don't like how in the Big 12 and SEC, a conference champion may not have played the one or two strongest competitors in its conference, nor has the conference championship game simplified the National Championship picture, in that regard.

HooverDam

Reaction score
No, the Pac 10 is Gods conference and perfect the way it is. The talk shouldn't be of the Pac 10 expanding but rather other conferences contracting. No conference should have more than 10 teams. 10 is the perfect number because it allows you to play everyone in football and everyone home and away in basketball. All other conference set ups are stupid jokes where you get lucky some years and dodge good teams in football, its lame.

Of course this will likely never happen since the Conf. Championship games make so much money, but its still the right thing to do from a competition standpoint.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter because Stanford, Cal, and UCLA will never allow it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The only schools the UC schools and Stanford would think about allowing in are Colorado and others of similar academic standing and even then it isn't a sure thing.. Scenarios involving tier 4 drek like Boise, UNLV, or SDSU are pipe dreams.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Also, adding on to my point that all conferences should have 10 teams there are now 120 D-1/FBS schools. That number is easily divisible by ten luckily for us. There ought to be 12 conferences, 6 BCS and 6 small non BCS conferences, each with 10 teams.

*Also I know this won't happen, just dreamin'

Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
IF the conference wanted to expand, you have to consider what they would be looking for...

1. Big Market. This HUGE, since it dictates TV revenue. Salt Lake City (Utah) isn't, so that hurts the chances of Utah and BYU, who would be my choice.
2. Academics. Utah doesn't have good academics, BYU does. UNLV? I haven't seen the stats, but hard to believe they would be any good. BTW, Oregon State's academics aren't very good.
3. Talent Pool. San Diego is a logical choice here, but who could be their travel partner.

Final point, it won't happen anytime soon.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IF the conference wanted to expand, you have to consider what they would be looking for...

1. Big Market. This HUGE, since it dictates TV revenue. Salt Lake City (Utah) isn't, so that hurts the chances of Utah and BYU, who would be my choice.
2. Academics. Utah doesn't have good academics, BYU does. UNLV? I haven't seen the stats, but hard to believe they would be any good. BTW, Oregon State's academics aren't very good.
3. Talent Pool. San Diego is a logical choice here, but who could be their travel partner.

Final point, it won't happen anytime soon.

While I hate them... Utah has one of the top medical schools in the nation, their academic programs are pretty good...

In the end, IF the Pac-10 exoanded, Utah/BYU would be the only logical choices IMO, and being a BYU fan as my second team, I would HATE if they were in the Pac-10... IMO...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No team from San Diego will EVER be admitted to the Pac-10. Here's why:

1. The UC schools think of the California state schools as junior colleges. They would never sully themselves by being in a conference with a Cal state school. Never. Ever. Never ever. There's very real animosity between those two systems.

2. USC, UCLA, ASU, and UA would all balk because they don't want increased competition for that recruiting turf. All the other schools have a recruiting interest there, but those four see it as primary recruiting turf. No way will they allow a San Diego school to share Pac-10 status because of it.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Im not a fan of the 11+ team conference.

I would rather keep the Pac-10 where we are and not have a Conference Championship game.

However, if we were to expand it would be nice to snag Colorado and BYU/Utah.

As for UNLV and SDSU I dont think either really has a chance due to what has already been said in this thread, but I would love to have Vegas in the mix of the Pac-10.

Nearly all UA fans love making the trip to Vegas for a weekend for the UNLV vs. UA basketball games, not to mention the Vegas Bowl.