Shameless plug - Genesis tribute LIVE in Huntington Beach, CA.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
My Genesis tribute band GABBLE RATCHET will be performing at Martini Blues in Huntington Beach on Saturday Feb 19th. We play some of the old stuff and a lot of the really old stuff! An Eagles tribute band will be playing at 8:30 and we go on at 10:30. It will be a fun night for sure and it would be great to meet any ASFNers in SoCal. Come by and say hi if you can (I'm the guitar player). Here's the info:

8:30 - The Long Run (Eagles tribute)
10:30 - Gabble Ratchet (Genesis tribute)

Martini Blues: 5874 Edinger Avenue, Huntington Beach, CA 92649(714)840-2129 or Toll Free at (888)24-BLUES(5837)

http://www.martiniblues.com

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I have asked you (and I know several are interested).... do you have any MP3s online of you or your groups material? Have you performed anywhere outside of CA? What songs are currently in your setlist?

I wish you and your band the best of luck w/your forthcoming gig.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
KLL said:
I believe I have asked you (and I know several are interested).... do you have any MP3s online of you or your groups material? Have you performed anywhere outside of CA? What songs are currently in your setlist?

I wish you and your band the best of luck w/your forthcoming gig.......

Thanks KLL. I currently do not have MP3's online of the Genesis tribute (but please visit www.gabbleratchet.com). However, one of my original projects does have MP3's online (www.foamrubbersole.com). I do have CD's available of both my Genesis tribute and my other original projects. If you are interested I would be happy mail you some CD's if you email me your address.

We have not performed out of California yet. We all have kids and wives and stuff so it's hard to travel. But we've considered Vegas and even Phoenix. But the situation would have to be right (i.e. we don't lose $$ after expenses)

Last edited:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
Thanks KLL. I currently do not have MP3's online of the Genesis tribute (but please visit www.gabbleratchet.com). However, one of my original projects does have MP3's online (www.foamrubbersole.com). I do have CD's available of both my Genesis tribute and my other original projects. If you are interested I would be happy mail you some CD's if you email me your address.

We have not performed out of California yet. We all have kids and wives and stuff so it's hard to travel. But we've considered Vegas and even Phoenix. But the situation would have to be right (i.e. we don't lose $$ after expenses)

Thanks... I would really appreciate any copies of your performances especially since those MP3s (I'll email you my address) on that link you provided sounded excellent.... Your guitar playing definitely does remind me of both Mike Rutherford and Steve Hackett..

Perhaps I'll travel out to SoCal one of these days to see your band live....

Last edited:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you performance go? I hope it went well..... What songs were on tonight's setlist? Did any "SoCal ASFNers" represent?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GABBLE RATCHET & RiverCard

Went out to LA this weekend to see them play.

Rivercard is good folks, very good. If you like Genesis and live on So Cal, I highly recommend going to see them. Heck if you live in Phx and are a Genesis nut [like me] I highly recommend it.

We had a great evening and had Sunday Brunch at Dukes on the beach in Huntington Beach while watching dudes surfing.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brunch at Dukes, eh? Fitting for Genesis weekend!

If I ever make it back to SoCal (I used to live in S. Bay), I'll hit RC up for some free tix. I love Genesis (except for "whodunnit," that sucks).

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never made that connection. :D

They were good though, I don't remember every track but they did do these ... [through Gee inspired alcoholic daze] was [not in order]

• Turn it on Again - Sorry RC but not my favourite
  • The Cage *
  • Get 'Em Out by Friday
  • Battle of Epping Forest
  • Watcher of the Skies
  • Home by the Sea
  • Fountain of Salmacis *
  • The Cinema Show
+ one I can't identifiy and it's bugging me. I know the song but for the life of me I can't find the album it came off. One of the lines goes 'mistook me for a man of means" been loooking for a while and still can't find the track.

Appparently Squonk and Ripples were on the plan but time and some gear problems doomed them

RC can give us a more complete list.

http://homepage.mac.com/firthy/gabbleratchet/

Suggestions for the future
  • The Knife
  • Carpet Crawlers [but then you knew I wanted to hear that one]
  • White Mountain
  • Anything off Selling England but that initial vocal is incredibal and probably difficult to replicate
  • Ripples would have been good, shame you didn't get to it.
  • Musical Box
The whole show was good but the 2 marked * were real good. Apparently I almost nuked the table during the Cage.

I can't beileve how good a job you all did, particulary RC and the keyboard player. The drum guy was good but I'm not musical enough to appreciate the skill there fully. Lead G [RC] and keyboards were amazing.

I've been 5' from the real band in a 1980 concert and these were good by any standard.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
+ one I can't identifiy and it's bugging me. I know the song but for the life of me I can't find the album it came off.
Keep it Dark from Abacab, I think. Abacab's one of my favorites (sans the afore mentioned gawdawful song)...tho I'm not familiar with some of the older stuff beyond Trick of the Tail.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need to listen to Selling England and Nursery Cryme. Most would say SE is their best album by far.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the excelllent report/review Nidan....

Sounds like you and your band did an exceptional job this weekend..... Does your singer get into all the theatrics that Peter Gabriel once did (especially w/all those customes)? Although... judging from the set-list Nidan provided... you performed quite a few of Phil Collin's era material.....

I'll IM you my address so you could send me your c.d.s..... Again.. I just really hope you either manage to make it here to Phoenix someday or that I'll travel out to SoCal to see your band live myself....

I've always loved Genesis, especially "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and in terms of the Phl Collins era.... "Abacab" album being the best.....

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
You really need to listen to Selling England and Nursery Cryme. Most would say SE is their best album by far.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. :thumbup:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the singer did, obviously not quote PG but a good effort. That's part what makes Genesis stuff so hard to reproduce.

Frankly I don't think RC or the keyboards guy would have been out of place on stage with the real band, they were that good.

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
nidan said:
Went out to LA this weekend to see them play.

Rivercard is good folks, very good. If you like Genesis and live on So Cal, I highly recommend going to see them. Heck if you live in Phx and are a Genesis nut [like me] I highly recommend it.

We had a great evening and had Sunday Brunch at Dukes on the beach in Huntington Beach while watching dudes surfing.

Thanks for the kind words Nidan. It was great meeing you and Brighteyes and hanging out talking music and the mighty Cardinals! The house was full of Genesis fans. We had some PA problems but other than that all went well.

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
nidan said:
RC can give us a more complete list.

Here was the complete setlist:

Turn It On Again (sorry Nidan)
11th Earl Of Mar
Get Em Out By Friday
Keep It Dark (you were right Pariah!)
The Battle Of Epping Forest
Cinema Show
Home By The Sea
In The Cage
In That Quiet Earth
Supper's Ready (2nd half from Apacolypse in 9/8 )
The Fountain Of Salmacis
Duke's Travels
Encore: Watcher Of The Skies

(we dropped Ripples and Squonk because the show was delayed a bit due to the malfunctioning PA system)

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If I ever make it back to SoCal (I used to live in S. Bay), I'll hit RC up for some free tix. I love Genesis (except for "whodunnit," that sucks).

We've prepared a special 20 minute dance-mix version of "Whodunnit" for when you attend :)

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
KLL said:
Does your singer get into all the theatrics that Peter Gabriel once did (especially w/all those customes)? Although... judging from the set-list Nidan provided... you performed quite a few of Phil Collin's era material..........

We had a new singer for this show. Because of that and because we've been doing a fair amount of the Collins era we decided against doing costumes for now. The closest we came to theatrics Saturday was using a smoke machine :) Our previous singer did some of the costumes though. Like the old man during Musical Box and the batwings on Watcher.

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
KLL said:
really hope you either manage to make it to here Phoenix someday or that I'll travel out to SoCal to see your band live myself....

I'll let you know when we play again. And we would love to come to Phoenix. With you guys helping out it could be a success! Have to work out a plan for that.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
We had a new singer for this show. Because of that and because we've been doing a fair amount of the Collins era we decided against doing costumes for now. The closest we came to theatrics Saturday was using a smoke machine :) Our previous singer did some of the costumes though. Like the old man during Musical Box and the batwings on Watcher.

Is the new singer a permanent replacement or for just that past perfomance?
Wouldnt that be something if you had the services of both of them for one show.... I just hope though that you never do anything from "We Can't Dance" or "Calling All Stations" (of course you would even need a 3rd singer for that :D)
because to me personally they went downhill after Phil released "Face Values" (from their own high standards they acheived in the beginning), but I still can tolerate some moments on "Genesis" and "Invisible Touch", but of course they both catered to Phil's commercial success compromising their creativeness... Enough on that for now...I promise.... :D

Rivercard said:
I'll let you know when we play again. And we would love to come to Phoenix. With you guys helping out it could be a success! Have to work out a plan for that.

We'll definitely assist you on "spreading the word" regarding Gabble Ratchet, so please keep us updated on any developments regarding your band.....

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
We've prepared a special 20 minute dance-mix version of "Whodunnit" for when you attend :)
It's because I pissed you off in the P&R board somehow, isn't it. Damn.

;)

Nidan, I listened to "Selling England" last night a few times. I like it okay. It'll probably take a few more listens to really appreciate it, I find that some of the older stuff doesn't hit me right away.