Sexson Back to the Dbacks?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I just read where he got released by Seattle, and I was wondering if the Dbacks may look to bring him back.

The guy has killed left handed pitching (about the only people he can hit these days, apparently), and I think I remember reading somewhere where the team wants to find someone to hit lefties.

Plus, he plays first, so they could keep Jackson in left (yay! :bang:)

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They need left handed bats. These ads are awesome. I just bought the camera.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of Sexson when he was here, he has empty power. However, if he's been released, and the D'backs can rent him for peanuts, I say why not. Start him at first against Lefties and see if he can knock some homers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Just what we need...another guy who swings for the fence every time and strikes out every other at bat. Pass.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
sexon and bonds with the d backs with the pitching we have that would be scary! make it happen

AZZenny

Reaction score
Hey, Steve Finley, he was only released a year or so ago! Think we can get Grace and Matt Williams squeezed into Unis? Heck, Candiotti's available, too, and I bet Tony Womack is out there looking for work. We can pick up a whole team of cheap old guys, and just bench Conor and Tracy or Reynolds -- which is what Melvin will do. Or trade them for Jamie Moyer and Trevor Hoffman, maybe.

Or just give the FO a shovel and let them start exhuming Ty Cobb and Christy Mathewson.

You people act like this team has a prayer of making it past the first round of the playoffs! I have no doubt BoMel is fighting hard for an influx of cranky has-beens --- sorry, seasoned veterans. Then he won't have to tax his brain because they won't listen to him anyway.

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Hey, Steve Finley, he was only released a year or so ago! Think we can get Grace and Matt Williams squeezed into Unis? Heck, Candiotti's available, too, and I bet Tony Womack is out there looking for work. We can pick up a whole team of cheap old guys, and just bench Conor and Tracy or Reynolds -- which is what Melvin will do. Or trade them for Jamie Moyer and Trevor Hoffman, maybe.

Or just give the FO a shovel and let them start exhuming Ty Cobb and Christy Mathewson.

You people act like this team has a prayer of making it past the first round of the playoffs! I have no doubt BoMel is fighting hard for an influx of cranky has-beens --- sorry, seasoned veterans. Then he won't have to tax his brain because they won't listen to him anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I want Jackson playing every day. But they seem to be comfortable with him in left, and we know Tracy struggles against lefties. It was just a thought.

But I agree, this team has very little hope, which is why I'm for picking up a guy for nothing rather than trading anyone for someone that really won't make a difference.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Two cranky, unhappy cast-offs -- these I guess are going to be the veteran role models for our kids that you guys were talking about? But if we're benching or getting rid of the kids, I guess it doesn't matter.

If you all get your wish and pick up Bonds for LF and Sexson for 1st -- someone one of the worst teams in the AL just DUMPED, and who strikes out a lot even when he is hitting -- then this team will be even more unwatchable than it has been lately, and either Tracy is gone or Conor is gone, or Reynolds is gone, at least for the season. (And me too.) That's great for their development.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zenny, Sexson has a 1.000+ OPs against LHP this year. Granted in a small number of PAs, but he is hitting somebody. He's going to cost $200k if we get him and it doesn't displace Reynolds or Jackson. Tracy can't hit LHP to save his life and if we can get a platoon at 1B and add a 900 OPS against LHP for only $200k then it's worth it.

It says nothing about benching the kids or going a different direction. It's about patching a hole and trying to win a game or two.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, why not?

Oh wait, I dont want him busting up the new scoreboard. ;)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Leave Conor Jackson in LF (where he is/will be a much better fielder than at 1B) and platoon Tracy and Sexson at 1B and use Sexson as PH.

It's a short-term step in the right direction.

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The players need their helmets removed when they get back in the dugout, which Sexson was good at. So was putting holes in scoreboards. :p

He's coming from a pretty toxic situation in Seattle, was he the malcontent, maybe. As dwkb mentioned. against LHP, he is hitting .344 with an OPS of 1.046. Although he is someone else's scraps, I probably would rather have him at my disposal than Burke.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
According to the Az. Republic, GM Josh Byrnes had a long conversation with Tony Clark near the batting cage the last time the D'backs played San Diego.

Apparently we're considering bringing him back, too.

Yessss.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I wouldn't bring back Sexson. There's a reason why he was released and thats because he can't hit right now. It could be that he needs a change of scenery. Who knows? But I'm not sure how much he would cost, and as stated before, he would just be another player swinging for the fences. We don't need more of that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the Az. Republic, GM Josh Byrnes had a long conversation with Tony Clark near the batting cage the last time the D'backs played San Diego.

Apparently we're considering bringing him back, too.

Yessss.

Now THAT I could handle!

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

Holy crap.. A voice of reason. I was beginning to think they no longer existed around these parts.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have no doubt BoMel is fighting hard for an influx of cranky has-beens --- sorry, seasoned veterans. Then he won't have to tax his brain because they won't listen to him anyway.
Tax his brain. Didn't you hear? Bob Melvin's brain is tax-exempt. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard