Sedona Hiking

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever hiked Brins Mesa Trail, or Munds Wagon? Heading there this weekend and want to try out some new trails!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done parts of the Munds Wagon trail, but it has been awhile. Not much in the way of shade

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I have done parts of the Munds Wagon trail, but it has been awhile. Not much in the way of shade
Supposed to be cloudy/light rain in Sedona this weekend, so the heat shouldn't be too much of a factor. What have been your favorite trails?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know so little about sedona back country. I have hiked bell rock, thats about it. I need to get a good map of the area or something and go check out the back country. I get stuck in the town which is basically a giant gift shop and I hate it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My all time favorite trail in the Sedona area is West Fork Oak Creek - it does require some wet creek crossings, and parking is limited (fortunately, keeps it from getting too crowded).

Cathedral Rock Trail is great as well.

Wilson Mountain Trail is a favorite

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I know so little about sedona back country. I have hiked bell rock, thats about it. I need to get a good map of the area or something and go check out the back country. I get stuck in the town which is basically a giant gift shop and I hate it.
There are sooo many hiking spots around Sedona...it's absolutely ridiculous. If you like exploring...Sedona is the place to be, and definitely don't get stuck in town with all those over-priced gift shops lol. Oh and Cafe Elote is very good too if you want some good food.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are sooo many hiking spots around Sedona...it's absolutely ridiculous. If you like exploring...Sedona is the place to be, and definitely don't get stuck in town with all those over-priced gift shops lol. Oh and Cafe Elote is very good too if you want some good food.
Yeah I just need a good map. I know so much of arizona and so little of sedona.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
My all time favorite trail in the Sedona area is West Fork Oak Creek - it does require some wet creek crossings, and parking is limited (fortunately, keeps it from getting too crowded).

Cathedral Rock Trail is great as well.

Wilson Mountain Trail is a favorite
West Fork Oak Creek? I've never even heard of that one...I'll have to check it out! I've hiked Cathedral Rock, Devils Bridge, and Adobe Jack. When you look at a map for Hiking spots there's just too many to choose from, so hard to figure out exactly where to go.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
West Fork Oak Creek? I've never even heard of that one...I'll have to check it out! I've hiked Cathedral Rock, Devils Bridge, and Adobe Jack. When you look at a map for Hiking spots there's just too many to choose from, so hard to figure out exactly where to go.

West Fork is up canyon past Slide Rock - Fee to park, but well worth it. You cross the creek via footbridge, path takes you through the ruins of an old hotel/apple orchard. West Fork is a tributary of Oak Creek - you hike along the creek, trail crosses back and forth, so you will get your feet wet (or more, depending on creek level)

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
totally using this thread next time me and my son want some summer hiking. Unfortunately, I only have him on so many weekends and the next weekend I do, we will be in mexico.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
West Fork is up canyon past Slide Rock - Fee to park, but well worth it. You cross the creek via footbridge, path takes you through the ruins of an old hotel/apple orchard. West Fork is a tributary of Oak Creek - you hike along the creek, trail crosses back and forth, so you will get your feet wet (or more, depending on creek level)

Well that looks nothing short of spectacular! Can you go swimming at any point on the trail??

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
totally using this thread next time me and my son want some summer hiking. Unfortunately, I only have him on so many weekends and the next weekend I do, we will be in mexico.
What part of Mexico?

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Somewhere in rocky point, probably playa encanto. My buddy is working on getting the house to rent on the beach so not sure yet.
Nice beach, but watch out for sting rays this time of year! They love that sandy warm water right there. Try Lucas Pollo on Benito Juarez street, and Combo Taco on the road to Las Conchas right across the street from the Police station :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that looks nothing short of spectacular! Can you go swimming at any point on the trail??

Yes, depending on water level of course, there are a few swimming holes - if memory serves, good one after the 5th stream crossing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice beach, but watch out for sting rays this time of year! They love that sandy warm water right there. Try Lucas Pollo on Benito Juarez street, and Combo Taco on the road to Las Conchas right across the street from the Police station :)

Lucas Pollo is awesome.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Yes, depending on water level of course, there are a few swimming holes - if memory serves, good one after the 5th stream crossing.
Looks like I know where I'm going now...thank you! And hopefully the water levels are decent since it's been raining up in that area quite a bit this year.

Lucas Pollo is awesome.
Yes, yes it is. There's also a ridiculously good place called Cocina Oaxaquenia next to the baseball stadium...it's hard to find but wow...the food is absolutely amazing. 3 people eating costs $15...with some of the best authentic mexican food you could have.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I was told to shuffel my feet in the water lol

We tried pollo lucas last time on the way home, it was the bomb!

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

Go kayaking and come back when it's starting to become low tide, and you'll see dozens and dozens of sting rays 2 feet below you...it's a little sketchy lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go kayaking and come back when it's starting to become low tide, and you'll see dozens and dozens of sting rays 2 feet below you...it's a little sketchy lol

thats terrible. I love to swim in the ocean but last time we were there (A few weeks ago) i didnt bother because of similar information. I may have to keep the kids from swimming in it too and then...what the point of being there! its like 95 degrees, humid as hell and I cant swim in the water..

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats terrible. I love to swim in the ocean but last time we were there (A few weeks ago) i didnt bother because of similar information. I may have to keep the kids from swimming in it too and then...what the point of being there! its like 95 degrees, humid as hell and I cant swim in the water..
If you don't have lodging yet, pick somewhere else...

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Not only is it hot, but it's humid as a mojo. You can swim around just fine...all you have to do is walk out a little bit and shuffle your feet and clear out an area...if there are any rays there they will scatter and not come back until it's calm. They don't want to be around you, and won't come near if you guys are just messing around. If you really want to avoid them, then stay in Las Conchas area where it's a bit more rocky and there are no rays where there are rocks.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have lodging yet, pick somewhere else...

The whole gulf is like that from what I know. My buddy is handling all the lodging as renting the houses is nearly impossible online due to people trying to avoid taxes, he knows people down there and its a private community so its really nice, its just not the best swimming water I guess.

PS it is seashell heaven and thats what the wife cares about. Ill just drink in the shade :)

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have hiked West Fork and Devil's Bridge. Neither were very challenging and I would recommend both. West Fork has water crossings and great scenery along the way. Devil's Bridge has a great view and picture opportunity at the end.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Ha, that reminds me of some of the worst pain ever.

A few summers back my son got stung by a stingray in California. He kept going on and on because the pain wouldn't stop. We gave him a hard time because he doesn't handle pain well. (he was probably 13 or 14)

Then the next day I got stung. Hurt like heck for 2 hours! I had to apologize and he enjoyed his schadenfreude.

Needless to say, we did not know about the feet shuffling rule :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson