Seattle takes big step to Expansion Team

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...r-nhl-meeting-that-we-can-get-hockey-in-2020/

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Tuesday afternoon that Seattle’s expansion bid has been unanimously forwarded for a December board of governors vote. The aim is to launch the new team in 2020.

By Tuesday afternoon, after the committee had indeed recommended and forwarded the bid by a 9-0 count, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman left little doubt about the role Durkan played.

“I think Mayor Durkan did an excellent job of presenting the case for Seattle as a city and as a base of enthusiasm for NHL hockey,” Bettman said.

For now and into next year, the league will monitor the progress of KeyArena’s construction timeline to see whether work can be completed in time for the 2020-21 NHL season. The Oak View Group, headed by Leiweke’s brother, Tim, and handling the massive renovation, says it can have the renovation finished by that season’s October 2020 start date.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It looks like Seattle is a done deal. Which means another expansion draft similar to VGK's (although VGK is exempt). It will be interesting to see if Seattle follows the Knights drafting strategy and how teams will adjust after the 2017 expansion draft.

Rumor has it Seattle will be put in the Pacific and the Yotes will be moved to the Central.

[edit] - I don't know why they would move the Yotes when they could move the Flames or Oilers, other than the Flames and Oilers are a Canadian's stone throw from each other.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be a good market for the NHL. Plus, it's one less place for the Yotes to be relocated to. Don't know how I feel about division realignment. Would be weird not to be in the same division as LA and Vegas.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://prohockeynews.com/how-seattle-expansion-will-change-the-face-of-the-nhl/

Los Angeles, Anaheim, Vegas, San Jose, and Vancouver are all in the Pacific time zone, so it is unlikely that any of these teams would move to the Central. Despite being located in the Mountain time zone, Edmonton and Calgary are natural rivals, making it highly unlikely that the NHL would move either of their teams to the Central. This leaves the Pacific’s only other Mountain time zone team, Arizona, the team that would most likely be moved to the Central Division if the NHL chooses to keep the current four-division alignment after Seattle’s entry.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
It looks like Seattle is a done deal. Which means another expansion draft similar to VGK's...
I'm not so sure the upcoming expansion draft is going to be as generous to Seattle. Not after what Vegas did. I'd guess the owners are a little steamed about that one.

Anyway, Washington already has plenty of WHL teams, many of which will probably fold once the Seattle Sockeyes are up and running.

Seattle Thunderbirds
Tri-City Americans
Portland Winterhawks, &c.

Someone cue up "Slap Shot." :D And send me a notice when Phoenix has an NHL team once again.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Separating Calgary and Edmonton would be like separating the Rangers and Islanders. You can’t lose those divisional games.

Meanwhile the Coyotes will get a boost from more Blackhawka games. Feels a little like when the Cards were still in the same division as the Cowboys. I could see okay rivalries developing with the Stars and Avalanche.

Reactions: LVG

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the color scheme - looks like the color of the deep ocean where a Kraken may be. And I kind of like the dark jerseys.

I am not fond of the name. I was hoping for Sockeyes. (Because with the right accent it sounds just like Suck Ass).

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still pissed we're getting kicked to the Central because of this, but it's better than getting folded up.