Seahawks Loss of Fant

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
To me to his was the of the big story this weekend. Fans had been playing well and the one seemed to be rounding into shape. Now things are once again in turmoil. Joeckel might have to be moved to replace him only heightening the potential confusion. Sooner or later teams pay for having a weak O-line.

I'm not as worried. About the Cards' rough showing. Still time to fix the stuff I saw. Not certain Seattle can fix their problem.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
They've been really patchwork up there. Make em pay. Injuries are inevitable, that's one good thing so far, that they've been minor for us.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Was he any good? Name doesn't jump out as top tier but then again I don't watch many SEA games.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Seattle has the best OL coach in the NFL in Tom Cable. Watch, they will make a trade and add another tackle. The Seattle defense should be a top 5 again and in close games Russell Wilson is clutch. Plus, they fly around and make big plays on STs.

Seattle, by virtue of their coaching and their physical, intimidating style of play, is the favorite to win the NFL West.

The Cardinals do not look anywhere near as physical or intimidating as the Seahawks.

And no one should sleep on the LA Rams. Wade Philips will have their defense playing fast and furiously, and don't look now, but Jared Goff has the deepest and most talented WR group in the NFC West: Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Tavon Austin, Pharaoh Cooper...joined by highly skilled rookies Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. Their TE tandem of Tyler Higbee and rookie Gerald Everett is also very talented.

Goff was very good versus Oakland. Sean McVay is the ideal coach for Goff...McVay's offense is very QB friendly, lots of high percentage pass plays to help get the QB in rhythm.

SF is going to be a lot better than people think. John Lynch has that whole organization fired up. They will be very physical. Much depends on how well Brian Hoyer can play within Kyle Shanahan's system -- Hoyer played in the system before, so he feels very comfortable. A strong defense, combined with a balanced offense and good STs could make them a surprise, sooner rather than later.

I think that if the Rams can win their first two games, both home versus Indianapolis and Washington, they could make a serious run at the division. The Seahawks have the tougher schedule and had a hard time beating the Jeff Fisher Rams.

If the Cardinals do not improve their protection for Palmer, their shoddy tackling on defense and their embarrassingly poor STs, they will be battling SF for 3rd place. Versus the Raiders it looked like the Cardinals were headed in the right direction, but this week's bafflingly poor performance versus the Bears could be a significant step backwards.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
tough break for Seattle at a position group where you got the sense it was bailing wire and duct tape to begin with (i.e. kinda like CB2 with the Cards)

It seems like in the NFL its not the first injury that really gets you at a position group ( although this sure doesnt help ) -- but the second one. Not sure if Seattle can now go 16 regular season games with the same starting 5 on the OL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seattle has the best OL coach in the NFL in Tom Cable. Watch, they will make a trade and add another tackle. The Seattle defense should be a top 5 again and in close games Russell Wilson is clutch. Plus, they fly around and make big plays on STs.

Seattle, by virtue of their coaching and their physical, intimidating style of play, is the favorite to win the NFL West.

The Cardinals do not look anywhere near as physical or intimidating as the Seahawks.

And no one should sleep on the LA Rams. Wade Philips will have their defense playing fast and furiously, and don't look now, but Jared Goff has the deepest and most talented WR group in the NFC West: Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Tavon Austin, Pharaoh Cooper...joined by highly skilled rookies Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. Their TE tandem of Tyler Higbee and rookie Gerald Everett is also very talented.

Goff was very good versus Oakland. Sean McVay is the ideal coach for Goff...McVay's offense is very QB friendly, lots of high percentage pass plays to help get the QB in rhythm.

SF is going to be a lot better than people think. John Lynch has that whole organization fired up. They will be very physical. Much depends on how well Brian Hoyer can play within Kyle Shanahan's system -- Hoyer played in the system before, so he feels very comfortable. A strong defense, combined with a balanced offense and good STs could make them a surprise, sooner rather than later.

I think that if the Rams can win their first two games, both home versus Indianapolis and Washington, they could make a serious run at the division. The Seahawks have the tougher schedule and had a hard time beating the Jeff Fisher Rams.

If the Cardinals do not improve their protection for Palmer, their shoddy tackling on defense and their embarrassingly poor STs, they will be battling SF for 3rd place. Versus the Raiders it looked like the Cardinals were headed in the right direction, but this week's weak performance versus the Bears was a significant step backwards.
They have WHAT?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah... Cable made quite a difference against us last season.
Him & Bevell are the primary reasons why Seattle has underachieve with the core they have. Not to mention Britt is the 1st OL drafted in the Carroll-era to sign their 2nd contract. Him being the best OL coach in the league is certainly news to me.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Losing their starting LT IS a BIG DEAL! Coaching is one thing, talent is another. They have to shift their entire line around...players now have to switch to new positions. If you don't think this has a profound effect on them...you don't know football.
If Russell Wilson was left handed, it wouldn't be as bad, but because it's his blind side. HUGE as DT would say.
The Seattle WR's are playing lights out, but if RW has no time to throw...it won't matter.
Chandler Jones coming in from RW's blind side....BOOM! Bring out the cart

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Him & Bevell are the primary reasons why Seattle has underachieve with the core they have. Not to mention Britt is the 1st OL drafted in the Carroll-era to sign their 2nd contract. Him being the best OL coach in the league is certainly news to me.
Not sure re-signing O-Linemen falls on the OL coach, that's the GM's call. He also didn't draft those guys.

I'm just saying he is in fact highly regarded around the league. His line sucked, but look at the draft capital and free agency capital their GM has put into that line. By far the lowest salary as a unit in the league. Yes their line sucked, I'm saying it would have been a dumpster fire with a lesser coach.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If the Cardinals do not improve their protection for Palmer, their shoddy tackling on defense and their embarrassingly poor STs, they will be battling SF for 3rd place. Versus the Raiders it looked like the Cardinals were headed in the right direction, but this week's bafflingly poor performance versus the Bears could be a significant step backwards.

Massive overreaction. Rams' ceiling is 6 games. As much as you hate BA and Keim, Arizona has a massive advantage in coaching and offense with a slight edge in defense (and if Donald holds out, that gap widens significantly). This is not debatable. And battling SF, a team whose ceiling is 4 games, for 3rd place?? LMAO!!! The attention continues to be on Seattle and winning the division, as it should.

Additionally, you're putting way too much stock in preseason games and suffering from recency bias. First, it's preseason. The playbook is barely open. Second, BA is letting Leftwich call plays for the first time ever in his life. This will not be the case in the regular season. Third, the players are bored. 5 preseason games with an additional week + of practice is ridiculous.

The truth is it's not as bad as you think, and conversely, not as good as some think (e.g. Gabbert is still not a good QB despite his performance in preseason).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As for Seattle, they're a slow start away from a massive locker room implosion due to conflicts between guys. The loss of their LT is huge. Their line was subaverage even with Fant. It's awful again. Wilson will continue to run for his life.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Err - that vaunted Seattle O-line was 25th in the league last year for yards per rush attempt, 27th for QB sacks, and 29th for QB hits.

On those last 2 numbers, Arizona was better. But not much.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The Seahawks acquire Matt Tobin for a draft choice. Tobin is described as a utility type of guy who can play along the line.

Reaction score
Err - that vaunted Seattle O-line was 25th in the league last year for yards per rush attempt, 27th for QB sacks, and 29th for QB hits.

On those last 2 numbers, Arizona was better. But not much.

The talent level on their line were among the bottom of the bunch. Pretty much a rag tag group. So 25th ain't bad.