Scott Kelly breaks U.S. record for most time in space

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott Kelly breaks U.S. record for most time in space

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...elly-nasa-astronaut-most-days-space/74121330/

NASA astronaut Scott Kelly broke the U.S. record for most days spent in space on Friday.

Kelly marked his 383rd day of living in space on Oct. 16, surpassing the previous record of 382 cumulative days, according to NASA.

This isn't the only record the astronaut will break while on his journey. On Oct. 29, he will break the record for single longest spaceflight by an American astronaut with 216 consecutive days in space. Michael Lopez-Alegria, who spent 215 days in space in 2006, held the previous record.

Kelly tweeted on Oct. 16, that "records are meant to be broken." He noted that one of his colleagues will likely surpass his record when NASA sends astronauts to Mars.

Kelly's year-long mission in space will end on March 3, 2016, "by which time he will have compiled 522 total days living in space during four missions," NASA said in a statement.

---------------------------

He has a twin brother (Mark). NASA will be examining both of them to see what happens to the human body in space over such a long time period.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
522 days will be quite impressive and NASA is going to have a lot of info to research from almost zero-g. It'll be amazing if he can even walk when he gets back. Don't they work out 4hrs a day or so up there just to maintain muscle mass?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love seeing stories like this.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has a twin brother (Mark). NASA will be examining both of them to see what happens to the human body in space over such a long time period.

This is a great idea. Using his twin as a control to compare the effects of living in space vs living normally on earth.

Mark is Gabby Giffords husband which adds an Arizona connection.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's strange that we have come so far in FX yet basically we are still babies in real life space exploration. Probably long after I am gone we will be experimenting with artificial gravity and learning how to fold space.

Sometimes I think I was born about 500 years too early. I would love to be around when man venturing into deep space is the "norm".

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Astronaut Scott Kelly's Year in Space Ends Today

http://mentalfloss.com/article/76199/astronaut-scott-kellys-year-space-ends-tomorrow

Scott Kelly has had quite a year. The 52-year-old astronaut has spent the last 340 days in space, breaking records, conducting experiments, taking incredible pictures, and tweeting up a storm. But all good things must come to an end, and today, March 1, Kelly will return to Earth.

Kelly’s stint aboard the International Space Station (ISS) was conceived as part of NASA’s “One-Year” study, which will look at the effects of long-term space travel on the human body. The experiments have a special twist: Scientists on Earth have also been monitoring Kelly’s twin brother Mark Kelly, a retired astronaut. Because his genes are nearly identical to his brother's, Mark represents an excellent control group.

But Scott Kelly’s investigations in space go way beyond his own body. He’s conducted more than 400 experiments, many of which he captured in delightful YouTube videos.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome stuff. All the stuff we do know is going to be considered pioneering for eventual deeper space travel. It really sucks the manned mission to Mars is so far away. I realize they have to get this right I just wish we were further along.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I did not know about the twin study part of the experiment. That is so freaking cool!