Scott Bordow is reporting Jennings didn't get the SAT score and is headed to Europe

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Said his sources told him Jennings didn't get the necessary score and barring them upholding the 2nd test which was redflagged, he's off to Europe.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Said his sources told him Jennings didn't get the necessary score and barring them upholding the 2nd test which was redflagged, he's off to Europe.

ESPN reporting he is considering it, not set in stone.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3462438

Me personally, the kid is more about himself and I am getting sick of athletes like that. The UofA had someone similar in Marcus Williams and he did not get along with many of his teammates. I honestly don't care if he comes or not now.

I am glad Nic Wise decided to come back because he is a team player and someone who cares about winning. Nic improved a lot last year and I am looking forward to watching him this year.

I hope the Cats stop recruiting these top-10 guys. It only hurts the program more than helps.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
And it takes all of an hour to be refuted by ESPN saying results aren't in until next weekend. Nice job Bordow.

I wonder if this is the type of non-cordial treatment Gaddabout threatened us UA fans with when ASU got left out of the tournament?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it takes all of an hour to be refuted by ESPN saying results aren't in until next weekend. Nice job Bordow.

I wonder if this is the type of non-cordial treatment Gaddabout threatened us UA fans with when ASU got left out of the tournament?

Actually Bordow could be right. The results are available via the internet today, they don't arrive by mail juntil July 5th. So it is very likely that Jennings already knows if he passed or not the question is does Bordow's "source" know or not and I guess we'll find out.

Recall that Jennings said several times he'd know by Friday meaning tomorrow, but apparently the results are actually available via the web today.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bordow went to an in-state school, and it wasn't UA or NAU. Not that he's been ASU's best friend, either, but ...

Just sayin' ...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Actually Bordow could be right. The results are available via the internet today, they don't arrive by mail juntil July 5th. So it is very likely that Jennings already knows if he passed or not the question is does Bordow's "source" know or not and I guess we'll find out.

Recall that Jennings said several times he'd know by Friday meaning tomorrow, but apparently the results are actually available via the web today.

No, the results are being held back by the College Board who runs the SAT so unless Bordow's source would have to be in pretty deep to the point where it may be illegal to reveal such info to a reporter.

It could turn out that Bordow is right and Jennings does fail, but his source was probably guessing unless he knows the proctor of Jennings' test or something. As of now nobody knows what he really scored.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the results are being held back by the College Board who runs the SAT so unless Bordow's source would have to be in pretty deep to the point where it may be illegal to reveal such info to a reporter.

It could turn out that Bordow is right and Jennings does fail, but his source was probably guessing unless he knows the proctor of Jennings' test or something. As of now nobody knows what he really scored.

No, the very large majority of scores were released today. I ran into one of my students at the store this afternoon and they told me how they did. There's a remote possibility his score has been delayed. That's usually due to re-grading the essay or not bubbling in properly.

Actually, it sounds fairly probable he didn't properly fill in his information based on that ESPN article.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the very large majority of scores were released today. I ran into one of my students at the store this afternoon and they told me how they did. There's a remote possibility his score has been delayed. That's usually due to re-grading the essay or not bubbling in properly.

Actually, it sounds fairly probable he didn't properly fill in his information based on that ESPN article.

Correct my ex girlfriends son has several friends who took the SAT recently(they're all summer before senior year now) and they all got their results today via the web.

I have no idea if Bordow has any source or not and I agree with Mao if he does it's a violation of privacy for the source to tell Bordow but that stuff happens all the time. Remember we wouldn't even know Jennings 2nd test was being challenged if it didn't get mentioned by a couple of writers who somehow found out about it somehow.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is that I hope Jennings does go to Europe. That would effectively destroy the NBA's abuse of colleges and college coaches. A poker up David Stern's ass.

He'd lose control of much of the best young talent that shouldn't be in college anyway.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

I'm sure most of the kids who took their exam do have their scores, the point is that Jennings does not while the Trib reported he did and failed. The truth is his grades are being held back and until then nobody knows whether or not he has failed (and if I had to bet I'd say fail) unless of course Scott Bordow at his insignificant suburb newspaper somehow has a source that grades SAT tests in California.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is that I hope Jennings does go to Europe. That would effectively destroy the NBA's abuse of colleges and college coaches. A poker up David Stern's ass.

He'd lose control of much of the best young talent that shouldn't be in college anyway.

Interestingly there's an article today that says USC signee Demar Derozan(Jenning's childhood friend) is also considering Europe (he hasn't officially qualified yet he's the kid who took 6 BYU online courses to get his GPA up), and now Renardo Sidney is also talking about playing in Europe after he graduates HS.

http://www.lasentinel.net/Exploring-Their-European-Options.html

FYI if you read the article it says Jennings' SAT score went up by more than a 1000 points from when he took it as a soph at Dominguez and when he took it again at Oak Hill and passed.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
On a side note to the Jennings to Europe thing, does anyone else I agree with me that it's a really bad idea? I fully support any adult doing what's best for his family even if it means spurning UA but the Europe thing can so sour on so many different levels.

First, anyone who has seen Jennings play can tell you his game is very flashy almost to the point of being And-1 mix tape material. He's going to get called for traveling half the time down the court in Europe. Also, Jennings is a small and very wiry kid playing against fully grown adults who won't take lightly to him dribbling between their legs and hanging on the rim. That's without mentioning getting in your coaches or other coaches around the league's doghouse and not getting PT.

I can understand Brandon and his people wanting to get paid, but a wiser move in my book would be just sitting out the season and getting a shoe deal and an agent while working out. There's way too much of an opportunity to get exposed in Europe, how many straight from high school PG's have ever made an impact the professional level?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note to the Jennings to Europe thing, does anyone else I agree with me that it's a really bad idea? I fully support any adult doing what's best for his family even if it means spurning UA but the Europe thing can so sour on so many different levels.

First, anyone who has seen Jennings play can tell you his game is very flashy almost to the point of being And-1 mix tape material. He's going to get called for traveling half the time down the court in Europe. Also, Jennings is a small and very wiry kid playing against fully grown adults who won't take lightly to him dribbling between their legs and hanging on the rim. That's without mentioning getting in your coaches or other coaches around the league's doghouse and not getting PT.

I can understand Brandon and his people wanting to get paid, but a wiser move in my book would be just sitting out the season and getting a shoe deal and an agent while working out. There's way too much of an opportunity to get exposed in Europe, how many straight from high school PG's have ever made an impact the professional level?

I think it's bad both for the NCAA and for the kid. The problem is the shoe company thing makes you wonder won't NBA teams be worried about drafting a kid who hasn't been playing organized ball for a full season? it's not much worse than taking him out of HS I guess.

But with Europe I'd much rather see them wipe out the rule and let kids go out of HS again than have them start flocking to Europe like that I think it would be very bad for college ball and not in the best interests of most of the kids. I also don't think the Euro teams will like it all that much the kids are not going to play their style as you said, and the teams are going to know these are rental players. Unless the American kids are really popular and jump attendance I can't see why Euro teams would pursue them and play them?

I hope all the rumors are wrong and he qualifies plays.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I like the idea of these one-and-done kids going to Europe for a year (or two or three) than going to college where they have no intention of going to class. They get paid (solves the amateur issue for hard-luck kids), they're forced to learn grown-up behavior, far removed from bad influences at home, forced to play a team game ... injury is about the only thing I can think of that would be bad, unless they're going to country saved by civil war or something.

I bet these kids come back better prepared for the NBA (which is all they want to do in the first place) than if (a) they had been drafted out of high school or (b) they went to college on a sham.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I like the idea of these one-and-done kids going to Europe for a year (or two or three) than going to college where they have no intention of going to class. They get paid (solves the amateur issue for hard-luck kids), they're forced to learn grown-up behavior, far removed from bad influences at home, forced to play a team game ... injury is about the only thing I can think of that would be bad, unless they're going to country saved by civil war or something.

I bet these kids come back better prepared for the NBA (which is all they want to do in the first place) than if (a) they had been drafted out of high school or (b) they went to college on a sham.

On the glass half full side yes, on the half empty side we could get a whole bunch of Daniel Hackett flop like Ginobily clones coming back from Europe every season.
:D

Just seems to me that every year in the draft there are 3 or 4 uber talented kids from Europe who barely play in Europe because they're too young or the team is trying to hide them from the NBA or the coach didn't like them etc. I just have to wonder how those same teams and coaches are going to treat kids like Jennings or Renardo Sidney, they might never play them.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just seems to me that every year in the draft there are 3 or 4 uber talented kids from Europe who barely play in Europe because they're too young or the team is trying to hide them from the NBA or the coach didn't like them etc. I just have to wonder how those same teams and coaches are going to treat kids like Jennings or Renardo Sidney, they might never play them.

The HUGE difference here is it won't be like when Spanish and Italian teams sign poor teenagers from the demolished streets of Serbian and Slovenia to nasty contracts. Those are the ones that end up as high-paid slaves.

These American kids won't have a clue what they're getting into, but at least they'll have sophisticated American representation who can maximize their experience.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I agree with Gaddabout. While Jennings or most other HS kids arent ready to star on a good Euroleauge team, they can benefit greatly by going to Europe and playing on a decent team against good competition.

I do follow the Euroleague and you can look and see how many guys who dont make it in the NBA star across the seas. Im not saying these kids will star like that, but they would gain much much more than they would sitting out a year and training, because nobody will see them compete for a year.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Gaddabout. While Jennings or most other HS kids arent ready to star on a good Euroleauge team, they can benefit greatly by going to Europe and playing on a decent team against good competition.

I do follow the Euroleague and you can look and see how many guys who dont make it in the NBA star across the seas. Im not saying these kids will star like that, but they would gain much much more than they would sitting out a year and training, because nobody will see them compete for a year.

The one problem I see with Jennings and other players who go over seas to play one year and then bolt to the NBA is teams might decide they don't want a 18-year old playing only one year and then leaving.

There was a good article the other day about Ivan Radenovic and his impression on Jennings going over to Europe and playing for one year. Ivan said "Very hard, they treat you like a rookie no matter how good you are. You sit the bench and you watch."
http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/sports/89378.php

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another day, another story. I am sick of this. Jennings is a great player and would help the Cats, but would his "I" attitude do more harm than good? I want a guy who is going to go out there and play for the team. I am starting to think the Cats are better off with Nic and Chase in the backcourt.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3466832

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I think these kids going to Europe is absolutely great for basketball, but it sucks for us fans...Unless the European leagues try to work out a decent TV deal.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another day, another story. I am sick of this. Jennings is a great player and would help the Cats, but would his "I" attitude do more harm than good? I want a guy who is going to go out there and play for the team. I am starting to think the Cats are better off with Nic and Chase in the backcourt.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3466832

The thing is unless his score is roughly comparable to the 2nd test he really has no point in saying it made me mad. Standardized tests are designed to filter out flukes. You don't jump 1000 points in an SAT test by accident. He took it while at Dominguez and then jumped 1000 while at Oak hill. The idea that his education improved so much from public inner city school to private school has to be defensible, add in his claim he didn't try the first time around. That his entire defense, I didn't try first time I did the 2nd time.

He can't be surprised it got flagged(by rule) and he can't be surprised they didn't believe his excuse. If he didn't cheat he should be able to come close to duplicating it, if he can't, then he either cheated or it was an incredible fluke.