Saturday Divisional Round Games

Lorenzo

Reaction score
In games like this teams like the Cowboys get exposed. They are a 1 dimensional team. This isn't Dak Prescott's team, it's Zeke Elliot's team and without him, they're an average team at best. The Rams won today playing old fashioned smash mouth football. The Cowboys couldn't stop Gurley nor Anderson and as for their passing game, considering Goff is missing his #1 target, I think he did pretty well. Can they beat the Saints in New Orleans? Sure. They already showed they can hang with them. It will be a good game.
I agree, and I am interested to see if the saints are back to full throttle today to match what the chiefs and rams did yesterday. I think dallas overachieved in the second half of the season and saved Garrett's job, but the offensive staff should be fired. their defense overachieved all year...in particular their interior d-lineman who the cowboys have not placed a high value on in many years. the offense got a shot in the arm with cooper and he was the difference in beating philly for the division, but still don't know the long term value. they have to get a new offense, their offense is terrible in the first 3 quarters of every game. they are only mediocre on offense statistically because they find a way to execute in the 4th quarter.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Goff made the throws when the Rams needed him to. There were also a few drops on otherwise catchable passes. Goff in general is way more than mediocre.
Fanboys at their best. Everyone here thinks Rosen is the future
because they want him to be. I understand, but I personally don’t see it, but we shall see. Most fans are just homers.
I thought Goff played ok. he didn't need to be great last night and the numbers don't always tell the story. I mean Prescott had better numbers last night? I think people could say mediocre moreso about Prescott's game because he did not do enough to keep pace with the Rams in the first 3 quarters. goff missed a TD on the first drive, but had a linebacker moving in on him unblocked. on the second drive the WR dropped a TD that would have improved Goff's QBR. Goff missed a couple of throws later in the game that would have sealed it earlier. but he also made some throws in the game that were impressive on third down to keep the chains moving. Goff made the play with his feet to win the game and stayed in bounds to seal the clock to ensure Dak did not have another chance. he was easily the better QB last night.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why Wade Phillips was playing a soft zone late in the game? He had the CB's playing 10 yards off the WR's and giving Dak wide open guys to throw to. That's how a QB gets his confidence going and starts to shred the D.

The Rams only had 1 sack all day. Late in the game they didn't get much pressure on Dak. They did shut the run game down most of the game.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In games like this teams like the Cowboys get exposed. They are a 1 dimensional team. This isn't Dak Prescott's team, it's Zeke Elliot's team and without him, they're an average team at best. The Rams won today playing old fashioned smash mouth football. The Cowboys couldn't stop Gurley nor Anderson and as for their passing game, considering Goff is missing his #1 target, I think he did pretty well. Can they beat the Saints in New Orleans? Sure. They already showed they can hang with them. It will be a good game.

For all the bluster about how the game has changed, running the ball and playing defense still matters. Goff didn't need an extraordinary effort last night. Next week I suspect they will need a much different effort tio get tio the Super Bowl.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give Goff his due. He made the big throws when he had to. I was really surprised how easily they ran the ball on the Cowboys. If they can remotely do that to either NO/Phila, they will be tough to beat. The Eagles are stout against the run & have beaten the Rams twice in a row in LA. That LA crowd doesn't give the Rams much of an advantage. I think there were almost as many Cowboy fans there last night. With both home teams winning yesterday, I expect one roadie to win today. Can the Chargers win in the cold? The Pats are not the Pats of old, but always tough to bet against them in playoff games. I expect the Eagles to be in that game today, even with the huge home field advantage that the Saints have.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As bad as the Cowboys D was exposed last night, it was as though James Harden was their DC:D

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Give Goff his due. He made the big throws when he had to. I was really surprised how easily they ran the ball on the Cowboys. If they can remotely do that to either NO/Phila, they will be tough to beat. The Eagles are stout against the run & have beaten the Rams twice in a row in LA. That LA crowd doesn't give the Rams much of an advantage. I think there were almost as many Cowboy fans there last night. With both home teams winning yesterday, I expect one roadie to win today. Can the Chargers win in the cold? The Pats are not the Pats of old, but always tough to bet against them in playoff games. I expect the Eagles to be in that game today, even with the huge home field advantage that the Saints have.
people are forgetting that dallas is one of the leagues better defenses... they got run on but they play pass defense too. Goff played well enough for his team to win. Thats really all that counts right.

I am torn on todays game. I have followed the saints since the aints... but I would really like to see the legend of st nick play out all the way too.
an all LA super bowl would be interesting too. I am sure that is what the league wants in order to rebuild fan loyalty in LA

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For all the bluster about how the game has changed, running the ball and playing defense still matters. Goff didn't need an extraordinary effort last night. Next week I suspect they will need a much different effort tio get tio the Super Bowl.
If they play the Saints, the Saints have a pretty good rush defense.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
I was wondering why Wade Phillips was playing a soft zone late in the game? He had the CB's playing 10 yards off the WR's and giving Dak wide open guys to throw to. That's how a QB gets his confidence going and starts to shred the D.

The Rams only had 1 sack all day. Late in the game they didn't get much pressure on Dak. They did shut the run game down most of the game.
But that was the focus. Stop Zeke cold, and let Dak "Bortles" beat you, which he couldn't. Keeping gap integrity was essential in stopping Zeke and letting Dak throw Pick Sixes, one of which he threw to Ebukam, but the guy was so excited he dropped the INT and let Dak off the hook.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Just a reminder to love a good site when you find it. I can't imagine ASFN being this touchy.

I posted this thread on a Rams board and it led to me being labeled a troll and being banned. It was deemed much too critical and controversial:

Good for McVay and the Rams. He makes the adjustment to go ground and pound and dominates the Cowboys and TOP. Rams rack up even more rushing yards than they did against Dallas in '86.

I think CJ stole the show and continued his great numbers since being acquired by the Rams. But, it may surprise some to know that Gurley averaged a full 2 yards per carry better than CJ. 5.3 to 7.2 respectively. These guys and the o-line deserve a ton of credit for such a beautiful game.

The defense did just well enough to keep Dallas off balance but looked very confused and shaky throughout the game. Something's gotta be done in a hurry or I don't see how the Rams will survive against, I assume, New Orleans.

Goff mirrored the defense and was just as inconsistent. 15/28, 186 yards and 0/0 was his statline and it was a blessing for the Rams to be able to lean on it's running game. Maybe that will eventually open things up enough for Goff to become productive again but it hasn't happened yet. He didn't have any turnovers so he is improving on that. All in all, a mediocre game from the high draft pick but a win's a win. Roethlisberger had to be carried early in his career before he started to take over games so maybe Goff will follow some day.

Ultimately, it's a testament to the pass-happy McVay to adjust his gameplan and use the hot hand(feet) out of the backfield to get the Divisional win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn