Ryan McDonough's take on the lottery

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yah we're going to get someone good - or at least someone good will be there at #4. I get the feeling Jackson will be there and Tatum also whos's solid alternative esp based on team need. I'll post the analysis when I find time but since when have the the best three players in the draft gone #1, #2, #3...1993 off the top of my head was the closest (just don't take anything from the result at #4 ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_NBA_draft

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Will they move BK before or during the draft?

Glad to hear McD say we are not trading out of the draft.

Interesting comment about being more free to pick the player he wants at 4 without being second guessed so much rather than top 2 where he would basically be forced to take one of two players.

He almost seemed relieved to be picking #4. Maybe because now he will not have to trade Bledsoe, who he clearly really likes S a person.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like McDonough is happy with Bledsoe at PG.

McDonough says the Suns will entertain trade inquiries within the draft at #4 but more than likely, they will keep their pick. He does expect to receive more calls than they make. I like his flexibility to consider options. He expects the Suns to get a good player in the draft.

I'm not totally sure what trouble he meant with the card swap in real time involving the Kings.

It sounds like McDonough has good handle on the players in the draft already of course pending interviews, workouts and medicals.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think Danny Ainge would take Bledsoe, Chandler, and a couple future #1's for the top pick? They are in win now mode. We could pick #1 and #4 then.

Then we trade BK and #4 to Philly for #3. They want a pg anyway. This way they get Knight and the guard they wanted anyway (Monk, Fox, or Smith).

Then we make like we are going to take Ball. Offer the Lakers a trade.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think if Boston trades the first pick, it's for a sure thing all-star like a Paul George, or maybe Jimmy Butler. I doubt a package around Bledsoe and future firsts even moves the needle for them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Think Danny Ainge would take Bledsoe, Chandler, and a couple future #1's for the top pick? They are in win now mode. We could pick #1 and #4 then.

Then we trade BK and #4 to Philly for #3. They want a pg anyway. This way they get Knight and the guard they wanted anyway (Monk, Fox, or Smith).

Then we make like we are going to take Ball. Offer the Lakers a trade.
Ainge has made good moves. No way he goes that for that pupu platter of unimprovement.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not totally sure what trouble he meant with the card swap in real time involving the Kings.

It sounds like McDonough has good handle on the players in the draft already of course pending interviews, workouts and medicals.

Basically, he was saying that it wasn't Philly that jumped in front of us, it was Sacramento. It wasn't obvious at the time because the automatically put up the Philly card knowing that they had the rights to pick swap with the Kings. Philly's actual pick dropped just like ours did.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically, he was saying that it wasn't Philly that jumped in front of us, it was Sacramento. It wasn't obvious at the time because the automatically put up the Philly card knowing that they had the rights to pick swap with the Kings. Philly's actual pick dropped just like ours did.

Down deep I had a wicked thought about the lottery. :madarms:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All that was BS. How can he possibly say "I expected the #4 pick" when the overwhelming odds said we had a top 3 pick? What a dumb senseless comment.

and also I like how he talks down to us. "Theres lots of good players in this draft". Shutup you soft headed goon. What like we've never seen a draft before? Going from the #1-2 pick to the #4 pick is an enormous dropoff.

The only way this works out is if Jackson slides to us.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
All that was BS. How can he possibly say "I expected the #4 pick" when the overwhelming odds said we had a top 3 pick? What a dumb senseless comment.

and also I like how he talks down to us. "Theres lots of good players in this draft". Shutup you soft headed goon. What like we've never seen a draft before? Going from the #1-2 pick to the #4 pick is an enormous dropoff.

We had a 56% chance to land in the top 3. That is not far from a coin toss as it is. Then obviously the most likely pick individually is 4th. He was also probably just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst in this situation anyways.

As for talent drop off, I strongly disagree. For me the only big drop off in the top 6 or so picks is from #1 to 2-6. For me Ball, Jackson, Tatum, Fox and Isaac are all very close as far as talent is concerned.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Keeping Bledsoe and drafting a wing player like Josh Jackson allows us to challenge for a playoff spot next year. Trading Bledsoe and drafting a PG raises the ceiling on the team long term, however I couldn't see us making a playoff run for at least one more season. Personally I'm good with either, but it sure would be nice to be relevant again (making the playoffs) and continue to build with our own future picks and ones acquired (Miami's). Right now Josh Jackson at #4 is a dream scenario. Somehow dump Knight and let Warren be a scorer off the bench. The future is bright for our Suns no matter!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think if Boston trades the first pick, it's for a sure thing all-star like a Paul George, or maybe Jimmy Butler. I doubt a package around Bledsoe and future firsts even moves the needle for them.

Ainge is not trading the #1 pick for a guy who isn't under control for 4-5 years.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we take Jackson and use some of our future assets possibly including Warren to get back into the top 10. If McDonough wanted two players in the top 10 of last years draft, I'd seriously bet he'll have his eye on multiple players this year and be looking to swing a deal.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah most of that interview was just the PR bluffer.

Did anyone expect McD to come out and say "It's rigged, I hate it", even if that's what he was thinking? The suns could have dropped to #5 and he would have said the same thing.

Obviously no sane GM would prefer to pick at #4 than #2 or #1 like he said but he's just saying that to lift the fanbase spirits and I get that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah most of that interview was just the PR bluffer.

Did anyone expect McD to come out and say "It's rigged, I hate it", even if that's what he was thinking? The suns could have dropped to #5 and he would have said the same thing.

Obviously no sane GM would prefer to pick at #4 than #2 or #1 like he said but he's just saying that to lift the fanbase spirits and I get that.
He is not saying that, he is just looking at the positive side of the hand he has been dealt. Of course he would like to have 1 or 2. But 4 does take some pressure off.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"overwhelming" is simply wrong. It was a coin flip as to whether we had top 3 or not--almost 50-50. Even most posters expected the #4 pick. That's what I put in the poll. If I had to lay money down, it would have been on the #4 pick. I wanted higher, but #4 had the highest odds for an individual pick by far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard