Russains Ban Wheat Exports

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2010080...firesfarmcropscommoditiesgrain_20100805162243

MOSCOW (AFP) – Russia, the world's third wheat exporter, Thursday banned grain exports for the next four-and-a-half months due to a record drought that has destroyed millions of hectares (acres) of its land.

Wheat futures shot up to new two-year highs on commodities markets after the sudden announcement from Prime Minister Vladimir Putin raised concerns about global grain supplies.

"In connection with the unusually high temperatures and the drought, I consider it right to impose a temporary ban on the export from Russia of grain and other products produced from grain," Putin told a government meeting.

Russia earlier this week slashed its 2010 grain harvest forecast to 70-75 million tonnes, compared with a harvest of 97 million tonnes in 2009, owing to the worst production for decades.

Last year, Russia exported 21.4 million tonnes of grain and observers had already warned that could be sharply lower this year owing to the drought.
The prime minister's spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the export ban would come into force August 15 and remain in place until December 31.

"We must not allow an increase in domestic prices and must preserve the headcount of our cattle," Putin said in comments broadcast on state television.

Putin signed a decree imposing the ban which also stated that Russia would ask fellow members of a regional customs union -- Belarus and Kazhakhstan -- to make a similar move. Kazakhstan is also a major world grain exporter.

"There can only be one comment -- shock," said Vladimir Petrichenko, director of the Prozerno agricultural analytical firm.

"We will only be able to return to the global markets with a tarnished reputation, with losses," he told Interfax.

Russia's policy after December 31 would be determined by the results of the harvest, Putin said. Russia has seen 20 percent of its arable land (10 million hectares, 24.7 million acres) destroyed in the heatwave.

More at link.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do what you need to do to save your food.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it says a lot about our infrastructure and ability to make resources mobile that we've never had to do something this drastic. We've been in serious drought in the southwest for over a decade and we're still producing crops (to the detriment of our water supply).

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
My only question is:

Is wheat a fungible commodity?

If it is, I would think that would mean that there would be broader market impacts, but if it is not, then I don't see much of an impact.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I heard on the news that all wheat related products will increase in price as a result of this. We will see increases at the super market.

It's not only the drought, Russia is burning right now.

Last edited: