Rumor: Cards have made a trade

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would prefer Cooper to Diggs.

Note - this is mostly because of my strong desire not to give up our top #1 or #2 draft pick, not necessarily because I think Cooper is leaps and bounds better than Diggs.

If we do make a move for either Cooper or Diggs, I'll be really surprised by the aggressiveness. I wanted Cooper early in the offseason when I wasn't as aware of our depleted roster.

Dude if you think Diggs ain't going for a 1st you in Dreamland. Diggs has more production than Cooper when the Raiders traded him. He's going for a 1st or a pick swap to the total value of a 1st.

He also costs 11m vs about 20m. Why would you burn the extra cap space?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder if we would do a deal with Diggs and a pick swap....say swapping picks with the Vikes in the 2nd and 4th, or something like that. In theory it would have more value to the vikings than picking up one extra pick

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Dude if you think Diggs ain't going for a 1st you in Dreamland. Diggs has more production than Cooper when the Raiders traded him. He's going for a 1st or a pick swap to the total value of a 1st.

He also costs 11m vs about 20m. Why would you burn the extra cap space?
I didn't say what I thought Diggs was or wasn't going for. Giving up our #8 where we could draft a potential All-Pro/Pro Bowler or true difference maker is a ridiculous choice for a guy with two 1,000 yard seasons.

Edit: As far as the cap space goes, it's not just cap space, it's sacrificing a major pick that can bring us a cost-controlled young elite talent, on a team that barely has any. Keep doing this and paying high priced guys because you can't draft, and we'll have half a team, then it'll be time to sign Kyler to a big deal.

We HAVE to get young talent.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on those stats if you change diggs name with Parker or Kenny G would you trade the #8 pick for them? I would love diggs but I would love it less if it was for #8. If we could do a 2nd and 6th I’d be fine with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think any are clamoring the 8th pick for Diggs(hell, at least I’m not), but if the the 40th pick was a real person atm, I would drive the 40th pick to the airport in a instant second for Diggs.

Diggs is a guy that has good speed, reliable hands, stayed healthy in the league, & is the best route runner in the NFL. He’s not even being used best since he plays in a scheme(People here need to recognize this. I already knew a guy like Solar wouldn’t see it, but it’s surprising that others here haven’t either) that caters more to Dalvin Cook than it does him. All of this despite sharing the ball with another good WR in Thielen & a QB that’s absolutely horrid under pressure.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bucs have asked about DJ. Nothing was firmed up. It’s just a process that’s ongoing. It might involve an exchange of picks but it’s basically a salary dump.

I hope you are right. That would be best case for the Cardinals and DJ who I still like

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I already built out my entire offseason plan for you in another thread, and I also think it was about Diggs.

I love Conklin, I love most of the options we should have at #8. I'm wide open to most defensive linemen as long as we're not giving up picks to acquire them. I'll go dig up the entire offseason plan I had.

At the end of the day, I want guys who have been productive and have shown continuous production, if we're going to pay them big or give up major assets for them. I don't want guys who were super efficient depending on whatever niche, qualitative metric you pull from whatever advanced analytics site is hot at the moment.
So you want guys that already have a good amount of tread on their tires instead of the ones that’s starting to get used to add tread on their tires.

I fully, fully understand you now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have specific opinions about specific players. Most of it revolves around overpaying for guys who aren't all that spectacular. The second part of it involves paying players big contracts and trading picks when we have next to zero young talent on the team.

You've only known me for the short months you've posted here - I've been an optimist about this team most of my life, and most of my time on this board, and only soured last year.

The problem is you don't think he's great because he's "never been top 15". How good would you think OBJ was if he played his career in last years Brown's team?

His QBs have been Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum and Cousin's. Production is a result of many factors.

He's clearly extremely talented. He's not tier 1 with Julio, Nuk, OBJ etc but he's clearly tier 2 with guys like Cooper, Adams, Thielen, Cook etc

He would probably be the best receiver in the NFC West for 11m and locked in for 4 years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on those stats if you change diggs name with Parker or Kenny G would you trade the #8 pick for them? I would love diggs but I would love it less if it was for #8. If we could do a 2nd and 6th I’d be fine with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not going to be for the 8th pick. No chance of that.

Probably our 2nd rounder - or lower pick and player compensation.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't say what I thought Diggs was or wasn't going for. Giving up our #8 where we could draft a potential All-Pro/Pro Bowler or true difference maker is a ridiculous choice for a guy with two 1,000 yard seasons.

Edit: As far as the cap space goes, it's not just cap space, it's sacrificing a major pick that can bring us a cost-controlled young elite talent, on a team that barely has any. Keep doing this and paying high priced guys because you can't draft, and we'll have half a team, then it'll be time to sign Kyler to a big deal.

We HAVE to get young talent.

Diggs is 26. He is young talent.

I doubt we give up 8 straight. Would likely be a pick swap in the 1st round and a 2021 3rd. Something like that I'd expect.

Meaning there are players the Cards like at the Vikings spot.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can’t recall any move or any player you’d like. That’s not a slam, just an observation. Players that come available for whatever reason usually have warts (physical limitations, injury history, attitude, cost, etc.). A team has to find the warts it can roll the dice on.

so I’m curious, given our roster and cap space, what are your realistic solutions? It’s easy to poke holes in every proposed or rumored solution, much more difficult to gameplan solutions. I’m not being snotty here, legitimately want to know how you would fix where we are with what we got and what’s available.
Turns out I was replying to cheese with this, but here it is. This is from January, so apologies for some things being out of date.

I've said it in other threads, but here's the rough layout again, and this is my semi-perfect world where I'm being realistic and hopeful no one has wild demands I'm not thinking of. I'm aware there are variables to some of these things, and I'm happy to lay them out at the end.

OL
- Franchise Humphries
- Re-sign Gilbert or Justin Murray to a cheap one year deal but that goes off the table if Conklin comes available
- Don't re-sign AQ Shipley - kick the tires on Conor McGovern or make C a very viable pick in the 2nd round
- Aim to draft one of the top 3 OL choices at #8​
RB
- Let Drake walk unless he takes a dirt cheap deal on a short contract (or we can move on from DJ)
- Retain David Johnson unless we can work something out with his salary and move him
- Draft a young guy in the 3rd round or let a remaining post-draft RB function as part of a committee​
WR
- See how much people are really willing to pay AJ Green - if it's not major, bring him in
- Bring back Byrd/Cooper
- Only consider WR in the 1st if somehow the other guys I'm talking about come together in a financially feasible way - I prefer Lamb
- Otherwise open up the 2nd round to WR as well​
Defense
- Bring back OLB Cassius Marsh
- Sign one 3-4 OLB of these four: Dupree, Judon, Golden, Beasley (the top two are long term answers, second two are shorter prove it deals)
- Bring back Gunter
- Sign DE Shelby Little from the Broncos
- Depending on how OLB went, bring in someone like DE Arik Armstead (my whole point at DE is to build a rotation of guys with upside, with the hope someone develops, while giving us flexibility in the draft)
- Sign ILB Jamie Collins with the hope he's cost effective, or move on to someone else with starting experience that gives us a chance to draft Simmons if he's there (I wish Bynes wasn't gone)​
Special Teams, etc.
- Bring back Gonzalez, retain Lee, etc.

Sorry if I seem wishy washy, there's just so many dependencies as the dominoes begin to fall. Like, Conklin is my #1 choice to spend the most money on, and I'm assuming we can only get one high-end-ish FA. If he isn't, I'm looking to pay Dupree and address OL in the draft, etc.

As we get closer to actual free agency, I'm sure we'll know which doors are closed, and I can refine this.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I don’t think any are clamoring the 8th pick for Diggs(hell, at least I’m not), but if the the 40th pick was a real person atm, I would drive the 40th pick to the airport in a instant second for Diggs.

Diggs is a guy that has good speed, reliable hands, stayed healthy in the league, & is the best route runner in the NFL. He’s not even being used best since he plays in a scheme(People here need to recognize this. I already knew a guy like Solar wouldn’t see it, but it’s surprising that others here haven’t either) that caters more to Dalvin Cook than it does him. All of this despite sharing the ball with another good WR in Thielen & a QB that’s absolutely horrid under pressure.

I’m failing to see the need to be a dick to Solar.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but to add more fuel to the fire there is a video on Diggs Instagram where he looks like he is wearing a Cardinals jersey during a recent workout fwiw

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What I really like about Diggs is lack of true usage due to Minny offense (therefore stats are not telling the whole story) and his fit in our offense. Dude is explosive in every way...deep threat, quick pass, jet sweeps, etc.

FWIW - I don't want Copper at all. 20m is way too much.

The main reason I am wanting a WR at #8 (if they are a true #1 WR)...you can't afford to pay for WR's in FA. But you can trade for one. :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So you want guys that already have a good amount of tread on their tires instead of the ones that’s starting to get used to add tread on their tires.

I fully, fully understand you now.
Your obsession with the tread on tires concept is baffling. I want a guy who has proven himself if I'm going to give up a bunch of assets and money. I don't want to hand him assets and money and then expect that he's going to turn around and do things he hasn't done before. That's it. I don't want an RB with 1,000 carries or anything, just show me one example you can be "the guy." Not the case for Drake, not the case for Diggs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I really like about Diggs is lack of true usage due to Minny offense (therefore stats are not telling the whole story) and his fit in our offense. Dude is explosive in every way...deep threat, quick pass, jet sweeps, etc.

FWIW - I don't want Copper at all. 20m is way too much.

The main reason I am wanting a WR at #8 (if they are a true #1 WR)...you can't afford to pay for WR's in FA. But you can trade for one. :)

I prefer Diggs over Cooper.

Diggs just seems like a better fit for our offense, he can run jet sweeps, and make people miss on short passes. I think he would actually fit great.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The problem is you don't think he's great because he's "never been top 15". How good would you think OBJ was if he played his career in last years Brown's team?

His QBs have been Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum and Cousin's. Production is a result of many factors.

He's clearly extremely talented. He's not tier 1 with Julio, Nuk, OBJ etc but he's clearly tier 2 with guys like Cooper, Adams, Thielen, Cook etc

He would probably be the best receiver in the NFC West for 11m and locked in for 4 years.
OBJ played with the corpse of Eli Manning, I think he would be just fine. Even still, with last year's Browns team, OBJ had a 1,000 yard season despite being injured most of the year and missing multiple games.
Diggs is 26. He is young talent.

I doubt we give up 8 straight. Would likely be a pick swap in the 1st round and a 2021 3rd. Something like that I'd expect.

Meaning there are players the Cards like at the Vikings spot.
He's not young CHEAP talent, and I'm talking about guys under the age of 25. Cost controlled draft picks, of which we have 3 confirmed starters from Keim's entire draft history. Kyler, Budda, and Kirk. That's it. No other locked in starters. It's insane.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your obsession with the tread on tires concept is baffling. I want a guy who has proven himself if I'm going to give up a bunch of assets and money. I don't want to hand him assets and money and then expect that he's going to turn around and do things he hasn't done before. That's it. I don't want an RB with 1,000 carries or anything, just show me one example you can be "the guy." Not the case for Drake, not the case for Diggs.

Huh? I would argue both have shown they can be the guy. Drake gave you everything you could ask for and was a top 5 RB after the trade last year.

Diggs has multiple 1000 yard seasons, and you put him on the Cardinals there is no way he does not get 1500 yds, because there is no Theilan to take targets from him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Huh? I would argue both have shown they can be the guy. Drake gave you everything you could ask for and was a top 5 RB after the trade last year.

Diggs has multiple 1000 yard seasons, and you put him on the Cardinals there is no way he does not get 1500 yds, because there is no Theilan to take targets from him.
Diggs has one *just barely* 1,000 yard season, and a strong one in 2019.

There's other threads for the Drake thing. Feel free to come argue with me there. I'm not going to derail this thread on him. You can see all of my reasons here: https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/15-thoughts-free-agency.343716/

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wait...wait...wait.

First of all...I see that on Irv's twitter but that isn't on Stefon Diggs account (that I can see).

Secondly...that was a legit workout. How do you not bring clothes for a workout? Why was that the one shirt your little brother had?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wait...wait...wait.

First of all...I see that on Irv's twitter but that isn't on Stefon Diggs account (that I can see).

Secondly...that was a legit workout. How do you not bring clothes for a workout? Why was that the one shirt your little brother had?
That's Instagram.

Edit: To be clear, a screenshot of Diggs' comment on Instagram, posted to Twitter.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
That's Instagram.

Edit: To be clear, a screenshot of Diggs' comment on Instagram, posted to Twitter.

Ah...thanks!

Other questions still apply though...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
this reminds me of the Cards trading for AP rumor thread a few years ago

how many pages did that one go?
At least that had a player attached to it. This literally:

someone with some knowledge there’s a trade that might be brewing.

it cracks me up that it’s generated this much discussion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson