Rubio to NY discussions Begin?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After Ricky Rubio skipped his introductory press conference with the Wolves, Marca.com says that discussions on a possible trade to send Rubio to the Knicks are under way.
The report cites sign-and-trades of David Lee and Nate Robinson although such a deal could not be consummated until after the July moratorium is lifted.
Marca.com says it can confirm these negotiations to send Rubio to New York but there is no way to independently verify the report.
Marc Berman reports on the situation in his New York Post blog.
"The Knicks privately believe Rubio wants to be in New York and his agent Dan Fegan will work hard to make that happen," writes Berman. "The Knicks have intricate knowledge of Rubio's buyout contract; their European scout, Kevin Wilson, lives in Barcelona and is friends of the family."
Berman also says that the Knicks "believe" that Rubio's contract buyout, currently standing at $6.5 million, "can easily be worked out."
According to Berman's source, Rubio's camp "is hopeful the Knicks move in and strike a deal with the T'wolves."
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60119/20090626/rubio_discussions_begin/#

IMO this gets done.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep, and meanwhile we want to trade Amare, to someone who at first wanted to give us a pick that might have given us a guy far, far less talented (but still very talented) in Curry.

We have MUCH more to offer Minnesota.

Sad thing is with this front office, we'll get rid of Amare and not have Rubio, and not have Curry, even though a monkey with a dart in his hand could consummate a trade for either using Amare as bait.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we know if Rubio is going to stay in Europe for a year or two? I heard a Sota exec talking about Rubio, and he seemed to say Rubio might stay in Europe for one or two more years.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Do we know if Rubio is going to stay in Europe for a year or two? I heard a Sota exec talking about Rubio, and he seemed to say Rubio might stay in Europe for one or two more years.

From what I hear, if he is on a team he likes he will come over, if he is on a team he doesn't like he will stay in Europe.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wolves don't look so stupid anymore. Maybe they really wanted Jonny Flynn all along and Rubio was a trading chip. If they end up with David Lee, and whoever else, they look real smart. I like the Wayne Ellington pick a lot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wolves don't look so stupid anymore. Maybe they really wanted Jonny Flynn all along and Rubio was a trading chip. If they end up with David Lee, and whoever else, they look real smart. I like the Wayne Ellington pick a lot.

b/c they room on the court for david lee, jefferson, and love? that doesn't make sense.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
From what I hear, if he is on a team he likes he will come over, if he is on a team he doesn't like he will stay in Europe.

I have heard this as well, and I think it's absolutely ridiculous. How does Rubio get away with this? If he declared for the NBA Draft, how is it that he has a choice to just play in Europe instead? He committed himself to the NBA when he declared eligible for the draft and a NBA team used one of their draft picks to acquire him. This guy has a commitment and he should be forced to uphold it even if they have to sue his ass off. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a rookie thinks he's too good for any team. If you think the Wolves aren't a good team then sign with them and help them change that. Everyone wants to be drafted by the Cavs/Lakers/Spurs/Celtics and it's ridiculous.

Rubio is a bitch, I hope the Knicks give up the house for him and the spoiled little bitch busts out of the league in a year. That would be great because I hate the Knicks too. :D

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have heard this as well, and I think it's absolutely ridiculous. How does Rubio get away with this? If he declared for the NBA Draft, how is it that he has a choice to just play in Europe instead? He committed himself to the NBA when he declared eligible for the draft and a NBA team used one of their draft picks to acquire him. This guy has a commitment and he should be forced to uphold it even if they have to sue his ass off. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a rookie thinks he's too good for any team. If you think the Wolves aren't a good team then sign with them and help them change that. Everyone wants to be drafted by the Cavs/Lakers/Spurs/Celtics and it's ridiculous.

Rubio is a bitch, I hope the Knicks give up the house for him and the spoiled little bitch busts out of the league in a year. That would be great because I hate the Knicks too. :D
:yeahthat:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rubio won't bust out of the league, he'll redefine it. That's like saying, I hope the Milwaukee Bucks win the coin toss and get Lew Alcindor.

That statement might haunt you for 40+ years.

Like the Suns not winning that toss.

Plus, it's 'from sources', and 'team he doesn't like'...meaning what? What makes him decide? Is he 'in the know' and doesn't want to go to teams with very little future, okc-no-memphis-clippers? That would actually be smart.

Again though, is it even true he feels that way?

This world isn't perfect. That's part of the difficulties when dealing with different countries.

He's still technically property of a team not in the NBA. Therefore there is also a chance that even if he wanted to play for those horrible teams, since he's still property of a NON-nba team, if the payout isn't agreed to - he won't be here.

That said, I want the best player since Lebron, named Ricky Rubio. The closest reincarnation of Pistol Pete the league has seen. Yet the kid is just 18.

If only we had an all world nba player we are trying to trade. Oh that's right, we have.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This guy has a commitment and he should be forced to uphold it even if they have to sue his ass off.

What about his commitment to his Spanish team. I mean you're all up in arms about him declaring for the NBA draft but he actually has a signed contract in Europe. No one else drafted has to pay someone 6mil just to be able to come to the NBA. I certainly wouldn't want to pay 6mil to play somewhere I didn't want to be.

I don't see how the Wolves could justify trading him for a deal revolving around Lee. It would mean they essentially used the #5 pick for the right to sign Lee to a contract I doubt he lives up to and has been mentioned they already have Jefferson and Love.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
What about his commitment to his Spanish team. I mean you're all up in arms about him declaring for the NBA draft but he actually has a signed contract in Europe. No one else drafted has to pay someone 6mil just to be able to come to the NBA. I certainly wouldn't want to pay 6mil to play somewhere I didn't want to be.

I don't see how the Wolves could justify trading him for a deal revolving around Lee. It would mean they essentially used the #5 pick for the right to sign Lee to a contract I doubt he lives up to and has been mentioned they already have Jefferson and Love.

If he was under contract with a Euro team, then he never should have been allowed to enter the draft to begin with. What's the point of these contracts if the players don't have to honor them? If he commits to a team (or a league) he should uphold that commitment, period. If he was already under contract he never should have been in the draft to begin with. It's absolutely ridiculous to let him just do whatever he wants and screw over the teams he's committed to. There is a huge flaw in the system if a player under contract in Europe is able to just decide to break his contract with no penalty, go to the NBA, not like the team that picked him and return to Europe again free and clear. How is that fair to the Wolves? Do they just lose the #5 pick?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he was under contract with a Euro team, then he never should have been allowed to enter the draft to begin with. What's the point of these contracts if the players don't have to honor them? If he commits to a team (or a league) he should uphold that commitment, period. If he was already under contract he never should have been in the draft to begin with. It's absolutely ridiculous to let him just do whatever he wants and screw over the teams he's committed to. There is a huge flaw in the system if a player under contract in Europe is able to just decide to break his contract with no penalty, go to the NBA, not like the team that picked him and return to Europe again free and clear. How is that fair to the Wolves? Do they just lose the #5 pick?

They retain his rights until they trade them. The Magic drafted Fran Vasquez in the lottery a few years ago and have nothing to show for it other than they still have his rights, just like the Suns still have the rights to Milos Vujanic. Rubio was pretty up front about not being willing to play in Memphis so I'm sure if he didn't want to play in MN they knew before hand.

Unlike MLB or NFL the NBA doesn't have a stranglehold on pro basketball(yet MLB and NFL still have problems with draftees dictating teams) and as long as thats the case baskeball players will have other options. Really the only reason for Rubio to want to play in the NBA at this point is the competition. I just hope you were this upset when Kobe refused to play for the Nets or Hornets, or Danny Ferry refused to play for the Clippers or when Steve Francis refused to play for the Griz. The only real difference here is Rubio actually has more reasons to not play for the Wolves since he can get paid more in Spain and wouldn't have to pay a huge buyout.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
They retain his rights until they trade them. The Magic drafted Fran Vasquez in the lottery a few years ago and have nothing to show for it other than they still have his rights, just like the Suns still have the rights to Milos Vujanic. Rubio was pretty up front about not being willing to play in Memphis so I'm sure if he didn't want to play in MN they knew before hand.

Unlike MLB or NFL the NBA doesn't have a stranglehold on pro basketball(yet MLB and NFL still have problems with draftees dictating teams) and as long as thats the case baskeball players will have other options. Really the only reason for Rubio to want to play in the NBA at this point is the competition. I just hope you were this upset when Kobe refused to play for the Nets or Hornets, or Danny Ferry refused to play for the Clippers or when Steve Francis refused to play for the Griz. The only real difference here is Rubio actually has more reasons to not play for the Wolves since he can get paid more in Spain and wouldn't have to pay a huge buyout.

Kobe never refused to play for the Hornets, he was drafted by them and then the Lakers traded for him. The only things you can find to support the thought that he refused is the speculation of random fans. To answer your question though, I think it's lame for an athlete in any sport to refuse to play for the team that drafted them. Real stars go to teams that draft them and turn them into competitors.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio won't bust out of the league, he'll redefine it. That's like saying, I hope the Milwaukee Bucks win the coin toss and get Lew Alcindor.

Tell me I'm misunderstanding this and you're not actually suggesting Rubio will have a similar career path to Alcindor/Abdul Jabbar?

The Maravich comparisons to me make no sense, yes he has floppy hair and floppy socks and throws a lot of fancy no look passes, but Pete Maravich was a scorer, he averaged 40PPG in college, he was a completely different player than Rubio who at the moment is known for 2 things, steals, and passing.

Rubio is a very exciting player but I don't think it's remotely fair to be comparing him to guys like Maravich or Kareem when he hasn't played a single NBA game.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kobe never refused to play for the Hornets, he was drafted by them and then the Lakers traded for him. The only things you can find to support the thought that he refused is the speculation of random fans. To answer your question though, I think it's lame for an athlete in any sport to refuse to play for the team that drafted them. Real stars go to teams that draft them and turn them into competitors.

Rubio has never made a public statement about refusing to play for the Wolves or Memphis so it's just speculation as well. Nets executives say they were told Kobe would choose to play in Italy if they picked him. Hornets claimed they would have liked to keep Kobe but didn't think he would be willing to play for them.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wolves have rubio's rights for 3years. if he holds out that long, a wasted pick by the wolves.

so they'd be interested in moving him asap.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Of course professional sports is one of the only professions were you are forced to move to a city you may hate in order to earn a living. But then again every athlete knows this from about the time they're 8 years old.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Of course professional sports is one of the only professions were you are forced to move to a city you may hate in order to earn a living.

It is? I'd say that at least 10% of this country's white-collar jobs fit that description.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is? I'd say that at least 10% of this country's white-collar jobs fit that description.

But it would be understandable if someone went to work for a different company in the same profession instead of living/working somewhere they didn't want to be.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

Don't you know? That's as good as gospel sometimes on this board. :D