Roger Federer: ‘Winning Wimbledon defined my career - it's nice to try something new’

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Roger Federer - record-breaking 20-time Grand Slam winner and king of Centre Court - has never been one to shrink from a challenge. But the tennis legend is currently grappling with a very 2020-specific set of issues. Namely, how to debut his new range of trainers via Zoom, with all the technical calamities that that entails. It’s the pandemic parlance and stop gaps we’re all now familiar with; he patiently instructs someone to unmute, battles with crackling audio and attempts to show his new trainers up close on screen, remaining good humoured throughout. “We’re all learning new things right now”, he laughs, as someone’s voice turns to Dalek-speak. The date for the launch of his range of trainers, designed in collaboration with Swiss footwear brand On, was picked for sentimental reasons. 6 July is the anniversary of his first Wimbledon win, back in 2003 when he defeated Mark Philippoussis for the Men’s Singles title. “It was 17 years ago today that my life changed, winning Wimbledon, a huge, defining moment in my career”, says Federer from the Zurich studio where he’s unveiling the shoe collection. “So it’s nice to be here on this specific date to try something new”.

Continue reading...