Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great film director, too.

Indeed! But not the same guy, lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Fine with the hire, but again worried a bit about having too many college guys in here teaching.

It's just a different kind of person you're coaching, and a different game at the end of the day.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So far I like the defensive additions more than the offensive ones but that is probably to be expected.
I'm not overwhelmed with the staff overall because it's not like these guys are well known.

I remember all of the angst over hiring Todd Bowles and to this date, he is probably the single best coordinator the Cardinals have had since they have been in Arizona except maybe Todd Haley.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fine with the hire, but again worried a bit about having too many college guys in here teaching.

It's just a different kind of person you're coaching, and a different game at the end of the day.
Rodriguez is a good one man. College coaches teach more technique than NFL coaches.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think his five years of NFL experience, coaching guys like Danielle Hunter, was one reason college kids would buy what he was selling.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Honest question... WTF do pro position coaches teach then? And will all these college coaches be lacking in that area?

Good question. Gannon is harping on teaching/motivating/etc. Is that what great organizations do (Patriots, Steelers, etc)?

My concern is still in regard to experience. These young coaches may be great at teaching/motivating but they will be going up against professional coaches on game day. Game plans, in game adjustments, etc will be very challenging week in and week out. Especially on offense.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good question. Gannon is harping on teaching/motivating/etc. Is that what great organizations do (Patriots, Steelers, etc)?

My concern is still in regard to experience. These young coaches may be great at teaching/motivating but they will be going up against professional coaches on game day. Game plans, in game adjustments, etc will be very challenging week in and week out. Especially on offense.
We had and experienced staff with KK and VJ and never made half time adjustments and had horrible game management.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Honest question... WTF do pro position coaches teach then? And will all these college coaches be lacking in that area?
NFL coaching does teach some technique, but they are so much more focused on teaching the offense/defense and installing game plans.

They don't have time to teach you how to do your job. If you need a lot of instruction, then the NFL isn't for you.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think the longtime way of doing things in the NFL has been more around breaking down film and looking for tendencies and advantages, rather than teaching techniques. When they are on the practice field, it becomes about repetition and muscle memory. The JJ Watts, who go full bore during practice, to continue tweaking and honing their technique, are rare.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL coaching does teach some technique, but they are so much more focused on teaching the offense/defense and installing game plans.

They don't have time to teach you how to do your job. If you need a lot of instruction, then the NFL isn't for you.
Which is hilarious that we tried to convert several players over the years to new positions after drafting them.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This guy is a great teacher, solid hire

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I hope so, although it's hard to say anyone on ASU's defensive line stood out or showed a ton of growth last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson