Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But as Silver said, what can be done to an owner is different.

They are capitalists, they own the capital.

This was a decision by the Celtics, and likely the right decision, if not termination for cause.

Relationships between seniors and subordinates within an organization should be a HUGE no go.
Yet Silver could have given him a longer suspension. There shouldn't be a double standard. We know from Sterling the NBA thinks so too. This decision had nothing to do with who owns the Captial. This was just the NBA being risk averse and passing the buck.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've lived it with all the teams I follow.

I'm a Marlins fan - ownership has always been poor and they have 7 seasons above .500 (counting the COVID season) in 30 years.

The Seahawks had great local ownership in the Nordstroms. The team was part of the community and a solid young franchise. Sold to Behring and he tried to get the team to the LA market and the team was terrible. Paul Allen bought them and they've had a very good prior 20 years. They will have to sell at some point and when it happens everyone will be nervous

The Sonics were put in the hospital by Howard Schultz and then killed by Clay Bennett and his group.

The Sharks have been fairly steady and not turbulent.

However, it's clear the coyotes have had terrible ownership over the years.

I went to my first Chelsea match when they were a solidly competitive team under the lead of Ken Bates. Roman obviously pumped in cash and accelerated they vision to where the team was globally competitive. Will see how the Boehley ownership does.

The team I follow in Italy had a short sighted owner with a giant ego and short money. The team did manage to stay up, barely, for over a decade. They sold to an American fund last year and were able to sort out the debts and start working on a plan for sustainability - but did get relegated.

Bad ownership may find a periodic flash in the pan, but it's rarely sustained and more often than not it's long term losing and community apathy
Ugh, as an erstwhile Expos fan I despise Loria as much as Sarver.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Ugh, as an erstwhile Expos fan I despise Loria as much as Sarver.

I get it. I always had a soft spot for the Expos and they were fairly snakebite - that '94 season was a dagger.

I've also seen one team go through relocation, another pack the van and try and another be under frequent speculation

Sad thing is that Loria was probably the most successful and invested owner the Marlins have had and still a complete train wreck - the bar is just that low

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get it. I always had a soft spot for the Expos and they were fairly snakebite - that '94 season was a dagger.

I've also seen one team go through relocation, another pack the van and try and another be under frequent speculation

Sad thing is that Loria was probably the most successful and invested owner the Marlins have had and still a complete train wreck - the bar is just that low
The slow death was even worse than the actual move. At least the ‘94 team has this mythical status. The split schedule with Puerto Rico in 2004 was brutal, which is why I found the idea of the Tampa/Montreal split schedule to be galling and glad it won’t happen. I feel for Tampa fans: there are a lot of parallels.

I have family friends who were lifelong Sonics fans, and that situation proved that few franchises are truly safe. I’m glad that Sarver is on the way out and a new ownership will be investing in Phoenix.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are projected to sell for at least $2.5 million per Forbes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bill Simmons thinks they're going to go for over 4 billion. He thinks they're one of the NBA's best brands outside of New York, Boston, LA, Chicago and Miami.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Simmons thinks they're going to go for over 4 billion. He thinks they're one of the NBA's best brands outside of New York, Boston, LA, Chicago and Miami.

I wouldn't be surprised. NBA franchises are a fun toy for those who have the money.

Let's hope the Suns get an owner that is willing to spend.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver rakes in a cool billion. Hmm. Wonder how he is going to avoid the capital gains on that. Uncle Joe will want his share.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jerry, Al and Steve should have statues of statues were still an impactful way to honor those who meant so much to something. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

They’re in the ROH which is good enough. Btw it’s crazy that Van Arsdale, Hawkins and Chambers are in the ROH and Marion/Amare aren’t (I’m prepared to get ripped).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry, Al and Steve should have statues of statues were still an impactful way to honor those who meant so much to something. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

They’re in the ROH which is good enough. Btw it’s crazy that Van Arsdale, Hawkins and Chambers are in the ROH and Marion/Amare aren’t (I’m prepared to get ripped).

I don't think anyone would argue against Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire belonging in the Suns Ring of Honor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen Curry on Robert Sarver.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Booker really close with Sarver? LeBron spoke out. Chris Paul spoke out. Others made remarks about Sarver on social media. Yet Booker has been very tight-lipped about the entire Sarver situation since the investigation was announced and has barely said anything about him throughout the entire investigation, suspension, and decision to sell the team.

Last November he said, "I wasn't aware of the situation and in my 7 years that I've been here, I haven't noticed that but that doesn't make me insensitive to the subject." Devin Booker.

Then today he basically said the same thing a little differently. He said "It's tough for me because that's not the Robert Sarver I know. It's not the Robert Sarver that welcomed me to Phoenix with open arms, but at the same time, I'm not insensitive to everybody that's involved with the situation. I understand everyone's personal experience with other people is always going to be different.”

Just an outsider making an observation, but he seems to be very controlled in his responses regarding the Sarver situation. I know Booker is big on investments and business moves and wonder if Sarver is kind of a mentor in that area.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Booker really close with Sarver? LeBron spoke out. Chris Paul spoke out. Others made remarks about Sarver on social media. Yet Booker has been very tight-lipped about the entire Sarver situation since the investigation was announced and has barely said anything about him throughout the entire investigation, suspension, and decision to sell the team.

Last November he said, "I wasn't aware of the situation and in my 7 years that I've been here, I haven't noticed that but that doesn't make me insensitive to the subject." Devin Booker.

Then today he basically said the same thing a little differently. He said "It's tough for me because that's not the Robert Sarver I know. It's not the Robert Sarver that welcomed me to Phoenix with open arms, but at the same time, I'm not insensitive to everybody that's involved with the situation. I understand everyone's personal experience with other people is always going to be different.”

Just an outsider making an observation, but he seems to be very controlled in his responses regarding the Sarver situation. I know Booker is big on investments and business moves and wonder if Sarver is kind of a mentor in that area.
I think he's just telling the truth, his truth. And he probably could have earned more points by taking shots at Sarver.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Devin Booker pointed out everyone had different experiences. I appreciated his honesty.

He talks about Sarver at the beginning of the video.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought it was a pretty chicken-ish response. Didn’t even say there’s no room for that kind of behavior.

Almost every other Sun condemned Sarver and moved on. Was this a tough situation for Devin because he’s close with Sarver? I’m sure. But doing the right thing shouldn’t only happen when it’s easy to do so. All Booker did was continue to play the role of enabler to someone who’s been horrific to god knows how many people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose