Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why he put in "white folks" in there because people of every color do the wrong thing.

The NBA just disciplined Sarver.
The NBA was perceived to go light on Sarver. The Celtics suspended their coach for possibly a year. I am saying, I could see him being upset about treatment of bad deeds if he wanted to compare. Not that I would agree with it. The premise of his argument in that clip is stupid. He is a clown.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA was perceived to go light on Sarver. The Celtics suspended their coach for possibly a year. I am saying, I could see him being upset about treatment of bad deeds if he wanted to compare. Not that I would agree with it. The premise of his argument in that clip is stupid. He is a clown.

Yeah, this story is running wild on the internet. I really don't want to add to it but the one particular violation allegedly committed by the Celtics coach would have removed Sarver long ago.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people doing stuff. That's one of the reasons the NBA only slapped Sarver on the wrist.

Let's put all the cards on the table.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yes, yes interesting. Stephen A Smith should know a lot about this. His show co-worker Molly Quirim was in a rumored inappropriate relationship while married to Jalen Rose with...oh yeah that's right Stephen A Smith. I bet Jalen Rose rolled his eyes at that rant. Oh yeah, nothing happened to Stephen A Smith by the way.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong as I have not been following everything closely, but Sarver had some people come out or testify to a review board that he did messed up things, but there was no hard evidence of it happening like audio or video of him doing or saying the messed up things that he was accused of. Sterling for instance had actual audio tapes of him saying really messed up stuff and therefor in that case the league took much harsher punishment. Clearly the league will go hard in the paint when they have iron clad evidence of your wrong doings, but they just didn't have that in Sarver's case. It probably would have been over quite a while ago if they did.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I heard today that Sarver heard Michael Jordan was about to come out and demand Sarver be stripped of his team, so he decided to sell before Michael went public with that statement.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
We just don't know that. I suspect he's a bottom line guy, we need a passionate Mark Cuban type owner. If that's the richest person in the world, wonderful but if not then I'd hope for someone else. I want someone to approach this like Ballmer does, someone that's fully invested, emotionally and financially.
This is why I liked the idea of Ellison. He's a jerk but he's a competitive jerk and would be a jerk for us. Being #9 on the list of billionaires is nice too. Bezos is the only name that's out there that has more than him. The main thing I don't like about him is that he's 78. I wish he was a bit younger but then again, he has more motivation to win now.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I don't know why he put in "white folks" in there because people of every color do the wrong thing.

The NBA just disciplined Sarver.
Because he is a tool.. Imagine a white broadcaster saying "black folks". Sarver should sell and he is but he did received the maximum fine of 10 million. Good riddance Sarver. Who really takes SAS serioulsy?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We just don't know that. I suspect he's a bottom line guy, we need a passionate Mark Cuban type owner. If that's the richest person in the world, wonderful but if not then I'd hope for someone else. I want someone to approach this like Ballmer does, someone that's fully invested, emotionally and financially.

I don't see Bezos as a bottom line guy with anything except Amazon, then he uses that funny money to fund vanity projects.

Such as:

Buying the Washington Post

Biolabs to make himself immortal

Billions into space ships that look like dongs.

He's so rich that I have a hard time imagining the Suns could lose enough money that he would even make note of it.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think Bezos and his unlimited budget would be a fun owner to have, but I really think that if he has interest in an NBA team then he will hold out for the Seattle expansion team. He lives in Seattle and has already purchased the naming rights for the newly built Seattle arena. He also can outbid anyone so he can hold out for his (presumable) top choice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bezos and his unlimited budget would be a fun owner to have, but I really think that if he has interest in an NBA team then he will hold out for the Seattle expansion team. He lives in Seattle and has already purchased the naming rights for the newly built Seattle arena. He also can outbid anyone so he can hold out for his (presumable) top choice.
Thanks for the information, you're right he seems out of our reach.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, you're right he seems out of our reach.

I also fear that the other super deep pocket players (Adelson estate, Ellison, etc) might prefer to throw their hats into the Las Vegas expansion ring. For a pure vanity pet project, a new team in Vegas would seem to hold much more appeal. In terms of attracting the deepest pockets, In my opinion it would probably of been best for the Suns sale to happen after the expansion owners were settled. Then we we wouldn’t have to worry about the deepest pockets holding out in hopes of snagging Seattle/Vegas.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong as I have not been following everything closely, but Sarver had some people come out or testify to a review board that he did messed up things, but there was no hard evidence of it happening like audio or video of him doing or saying the messed up things that he was accused of. Sterling for instance had actual audio tapes of him saying really messed up stuff and therefor in that case the league took much harsher punishment. Clearly the league will go hard in the paint when they have iron clad evidence of your wrong doings, but they just didn't have that in Sarver's case. It probably would have been over quite a while ago if they did.
We are not talking one or two people. It appears it was a laundry list of people. There were 80,000 documents reviewed, multiple witnesses that corroborated like behavior over an 18 year period. You don't need Audio/video for hard evidence. IMO, it had nothing to do with hard evidence. Multiple reporters said insiders in the league office told them they didn't want to deal with a lawsuit with Sarver. My guess is the league had planned from day one to let the media, fans and sponsors do their job for them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are not talking one or two people. It appears it was a laundry list of people. There were 80,000 documents reviewed, multiple witnesses that corroborated like behavior over an 18 year period. You don't need Audio/video for hard evidence. IMO, it had nothing to do with hard evidence. Multiple reporters said insiders in the league office told them they didn't want to deal with a lawsuit with Sarver. My guess is the league had planned from day one to let the media, fans and sponsors do their job for them.
It’s amazing to me that there are STILL some people whitewashing the systemic racial, sexist and mysoginist abuse Sarver engaged in for almost TWO DECADES. The report laid out a ton of instances where Sarver ADMITTED to saying the N-word 5 different times “in context” and multiple eyewitnesses, and the same goes for a rash of other horrific conduct which was admitted by Sarver “contextually” and even more eyewitnesses… Ah forget it.

If those people don’t get by now that Sarver did in totality was actually WORSE than Sterling, they never will.

And we all know why.

Last edited:

JerkFace

Reaction score
This is why I liked the idea of Ellison. He's a jerk but he's a competitive jerk and would be a jerk for us. Being #9 on the list of billionaires is nice too. Bezos is the only name that's out there that has more than him. The main thing I don't like about him is that he's 78. I wish he was a bit younger but then again, he has more motivation to win now.
My main question with Ellison is: why doesn’t he already own a team? He attempted to purchase the Grizzlies, Warriors, and Pelicans. With as much money as he has, what kept him from getting one of those previous teams he was interested in?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow when sports media goes off the rails they really go off the rails.

Every nitwit on the planet has a theory of what's goin on.
Until one of the handful of people that actually know wtf is goin on comes out and says something ill just wait.

Besides deep down we know it was L. Ron Hubbard that forced Sarver to sell.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow when sports media goes off the rails they really go off the rails.

Every nitwit on the planet has a theory of what's goin on.
Until one of the handful of people that actually know wtf is goin on comes out and says something ill just wait.

Besides deep down we know it was L. Ron Hubbard that forced Sarver to sell.
Hehe…

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was on vacation when this was announced. Got engaged AND found out Sarver was selling- what a great week! As to who replaces him... honestly, I don't even care. I know I should, I know it's very important, but the sheer fact that Sarver is about to be gone just feels so good that I can't even focus on possible replacements. I think I need a few days to process that Sarver is actually about to be gone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on vacation when this was announced. Got engaged AND found out Sarver was selling- what a great week! As to who replaces him... honestly, I don't even care. I know I should, I know it's very important, but the sheer fact that Sarver is about to be gone just feels so good that I can't even focus on possible replacements. I think I need a few days to process that Sarver is actually about to be gone.
Congrats!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It’s amazing to me that there are STILL some people whitewashing the systemic racial, sexist and mysoginist abuse Sarver engaged in for almost TWO DECADES. The report laid out a ton of instances where Sarver ADMITTED to saying the N-word 5 different times “in context” and multiple eyewitnesses, and the same goes for a rash of other horrific conduct which was admitted by Sarver “contextually” and even more eyewitnesses… Ah forget it.

If those people don’t get by now that Sarver did in totality was actually WORSE than Sterling, they never will.

And we all know why.
All I can go off of is recent history and when they had iron clad evidence against Sterling he was cast out very quickly. Testimonies by even many people is not anywhere near as iron clad as actual audio of what was said.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All I can go off of is recent history and when they had iron clad evidence against Sterling he was cast out very quickly. Testimonies by even many people is not anywhere near as iron clad as actual audio of what was said.
But an admission is. And they had that from sarver on a few of the accounts.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a great week!!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith is a tool.

So, he knows for a fact there are other coaches doing the same thing? Is that what he means by "White folks doing their thing"? He doesn't. Not only that but he said the Celtics were wrong to put it out there? No they weren't. If a coach is going to get suspended at all, those reasons always come out. The same way they come out if ANY coach is suspended. The could have said something generic as the reason but it always leaks.

He's dumb. Now if he wanted to complain that relative to what Sarver did it seems harsh or something like that? I would be with him.
But as Silver said, what can be done to an owner is different.

They are capitalists, they own the capital.

This was a decision by the Celtics, and likely the right decision, if not termination for cause.

Relationships between seniors and subordinates within an organization should be a HUGE no go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose