Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cuban says hold my beer.

It is interesting the NBA was apparently fine with the Mavs conducting their own investigation and didn't deem it necessary to conduct their own, especially with what appears to be far more specific allegations.

I would think the NBA should independently investigate the situation. This is an excerpt from an ESPN article.

By Don Van Natta Jr. ESPN Senior Writer:

NBA spokesman Mike Bass issued a statement, saying: "The NBA league office was aware of the complaint that was made against Jason Lutin and that the Mavericks conducted an investigation into the complaint. We were also made aware by the Dallas Mavericks that Donnie Nelson was going to be relieved of his duties."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This a statement from the Dallas Mavericks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This a statement from the Dallas Mavericks.

I cannot imagine how there was any incentive in the beginning of this story to lie or attack an individual. The only storyline that makes sense is a cover up by Cuban. It is likely going to make Donnie Nelson very rich.

I knew Donnie Nelson outside of basketball when he lived here in Phoenix. I have not had contact with him for years. From my limited frame of contact he always seemed to be a man who valued integrity.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I cannot imagine how there was any incentive in the beginning of this story to lie or attack an individual. The only storyline that makes sense is a cover up by Cuban. It is likely going to make Donnie Nelson very rich.

I knew Donnie Nelson outside of basketball when he lived here in Phoenix. I have not had contact with him for years. From my limited frame of contact he always seemed to be a man who valued integrity.

On one side is Donnie.

The other side is an organization that has investigated itself and didn't find anything wrong. :rolleyes:

Considering The Mav's track record lately especially involving sexual harassments, I'm rather inclined to not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot to chew on in the ESPN article. It reads like Donnie Nelson didn't find out there was a settlement until later.

Nelson did not find out about the alleged Feb. 16, 2020, incident involving Lutin, or a subsequent settlement for an undisclosed amount that his nephew quietly reached with the team, until five months later, after he and Cuban had begun discussions to extend his contract for 10 years, the lawsuit says.

At that point, Nelson confronted Cuban and said Lutin's alleged activities were "putting the Mavericks' employees, players and the entire organization at risk," according to the lawsuit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a lot to chew on in the ESPN article. It reads like Donnie Nelson didn't find out there was a settlement until later.

Nelson did not find out about the alleged Feb. 16, 2020, incident involving Lutin, or a subsequent settlement for an undisclosed amount that his nephew quietly reached with the team, until five months later, after he and Cuban had begun discussions to extend his contract for 10 years, the lawsuit says.

At that point, Nelson confronted Cuban and said Lutin's alleged activities were "putting the Mavericks' employees, players and the entire organization at risk," according to the lawsuit.

And he was having serious doubts about working for an organization that wanted to sweep this stuff under the rug. He wanted organizational changes, especially the removal of the offending executive.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he was having serious doubts about working for an organization that wanted to sweep this stuff under the rug. He wanted organizational changes, especially the removal of the offending executive.

This is the way it reads. It looks like the NBA has decided to let the court (lawsuit) take care of the matter first but I do believe they should at least open an investigation. I didn't see where the NBA had done so.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I never knew the Nelson's but I remember their time in the Valley and I've always held them in the same regard as JC. It could all be a façade but I'm more inclined to believe Donnie.

Hopefully the truth comes to light and the whomever is in the wrong pays dearly. I think if Donnie wasn't already wealthy based on his time in the league this would have been all swept under the rug with that $50mil + NDA(provided his accounts are true).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never knew the Nelson's but I remember their time in the Valley and I've always held them in the same regard as JC. It could all be a façade but I'm more inclined to believe Donnie.

Hopefully the truth comes to light and the whomever is in the wrong pays dearly. I think if Donnie wasn't already wealthy based on his time in the league this would have been all swept under the rug with that $50mil + NDA(provided his accounts are true).
Just from my experience, there was a big difference between father and son. I would not so quickly defend senior.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I so dislike posting this but it won't go away. Due process needs to run it's course. It doesn't need to be politicized.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I so dislike posting this but it won't go away. Due process needs to run it's course. It doesn't need to be politicized.

Good grief. Let the investigation happen. There are plenty of black leaders who I trust a lot more than Al Sharpton, to respond reasonably to what is going on. It is interesting that these accusations are being made against an org with a black Gm and a black head coach.

I am fine if the investigation shows that SARVER has to go. But I am increasingly frustrated with political pressure being brought to bear on the investigative process.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

As much as I'd love to be done with Sarver I still think he deserves due process, if the NBA is still investigating leads and doesn't have enough evidence of wrong doing I really don't see what Sharpton's angle is other than to get himself in the spotlight.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is it Illegal to be a Racist and Sexist homophobe? It should be, but its not.
If they had something we would know by now. They were ready to hang him from the get go.
Unless they can prove he caused someone financial hardship or injury, defamation, sexual etc.
Feelings typically don't matter in a court of law.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they had something we would know by now. They were ready to hang him from the get go.
Unless they can prove he caused someone financial hardship or injury, defamation, sexual etc.
Sterling didn't lose his team because he was a convicted racist. If the NBA finds Sarver acted inappropriately enough they will remove him regardless of what laws he did or didn't break.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to be done with Sarver I still think he deserves due process, if the NBA is still investigating leads and doesn't have enough evidence of wrong doing I really don't see what Sharpton's angle is other than to get himself in the spotlight.

That's always his angle. And honestly, as much as I wish the investigation would result in Sarver getting the boot, Sharpton weighing in like this doesn't help that happen given his own historical issues.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not think it should be illegal to be those things. Once you start making ideas illegal, you have lost your freedom, as offensive as those ideas are.

Did Sarver violate the law or league policy? I am sure the league has policies against racist behavior, choices, or language. Leagues are allowed to do that. It does not have to be against the law, just against ownership agreement policies. If he violated league policy, they can and should remove him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are meshing the legality and the policy of the league. One doesn’t necessarily have to align with the other. However, to answer your question it could be illegal. If either of those two things drove employment decisions they are 100% illegal. They don’t need to prove any of that stuff you mentioned necessarily either. All they have to do is prove that he was discriminatory either racially or because of gender or sexually harassed someone illegal or not. The legality is separate from the policies of the NBA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is more stuff coming out. I am afraid that this might impact our championship run this year. The Suns will be in the news not for their play but for their owner. I am not a conspiracy theorist but the league might prefer NOT to have the Suns go deep in the playoffs this year.

Could this impact calls?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is more stuff coming out. I am afraid that this might impact our championship run this year. The Suns will be in the news not for their play but for their owner. I am not a conspiracy theorist but the league might prefer NOT to have the Suns go deep in the playoffs this year.

Could this impact calls?
I've wondered all season long if this is why we're near the bottom of the league when it comes to free throws. It's just not typical with the way the league has always favored the better teams.

And if there's more to come out about Sarver (and assuming it's legitimately bad, not just nitpicking), then the sooner we get rid of him the better. If that impacts our playoff run, so be it. It will suck but some things are more important than basketball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard