RJ is a Yankee

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Indrid Cold said:
maybe Green can start producing again, and maybe Brad Penny is healthy.
Maybe RJ screws up his knee again, maybe RJ's back finally gives out, maybe RJ walks at the end of the year and we get nothing, maybe last year was an aberration and RJ reverts to his 4.26 ERA form of 2003.

The difference is the maybe's you're talking about are with 32 and 26 year old players while the one I'm talking about is on the wrong side of 40.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Maybe RJ screws up his knee again, maybe RJ's back finally gives out, maybe RJ walks at the end of the year and we get nothing, maybe last year was an aberration and RJ reverts to his 4.26 ERA form of 2003.

The difference is the maybe's you're talking about are with 32 and 26 year old players while the one I'm talking about is on the wrong side of 40.

I'd be inclined to take the 40 yr., old HOFer. Until the trading deadline, then make a determinatiuon then. :thumbup:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
WildBB said:
I'd be inclined to take the 40 yr., old HOFer. Until the trading deadline, then make a determinatiuon then. :thumbup:

Dumb idea. First, we'd be taking the risk that RJ does not hurt himself between now and the deadline. Remember, the guy is 41 years old. Next, the deal we'd get would be less than what we could get this winter for a few reasons:

1) Most GMs are not going to want to disrupt the clubhouse and staff of a contending team midseason by trading a frontline starter and solid position player, which seem to be prerequisites for RJ according to people around here. We'd likely get a prospect based deal.

2) Teams are going to know that we have to trade RJ or face him walking in the offseason.

3) There will be less serious contenders who could afford to add his salary

4) Teams will be less inclined to give up a lot for RJ knowing that they only have a few months as opposed to an entire year to sign him to a contract extension.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Penny was on ESPN radio this afternoon and said he is healthy and will definitely pass his physical. He said he thinks the trade will go thru.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
On SportsCenter, Peter Gammons said that this deal should be agreed upon by the weekend and the Yanks and we will be given a 72 hour window in which to get the extensions needed to get this trade done. The prospect of signing Green to an extension before seeing how well he does kinda scares me but it looks like that is the only way that Green will waive his no trade clause.

Of course this was from Gammons so take it for what it is worth

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sources (pee wee baseball coach) tell me this trade is a done deal.

Imma an idiot - forgive me. :(

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
On SportsCenter, Peter Gammons said that this deal should be agreed upon by the weekend and the Yanks and we will be given a 72 hour window in which to get the extensions needed to get this trade done. The prospect of signing Green to an extension before seeing how well he does kinda scares me but it looks like that is the only way that Green will waive his no trade clause.

Of course this was from Gammons so take it for what it is worth

I find it hard to believe that the Dbacks will give Green an extension.

If they do it could work in their favor. If they sign him to say a 2 year extension at a much lower price and he does well then they seem like geneouses.

And while I'm at it I guess monkeys could fly out of my butt.

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
devilalum said:
And while I'm at it I guess monkeys could fly out of my butt.

Lets hope it dont come to that, cuz well, there is enough strange schitttt out there already we dont want to add you to the list!! :D