RIP: Joe Kubert (1926-2012)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Joe Kubert (1926-2012)

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/08/joe_kubert_dead_dies_85_nj.html

Comic book artist Joe Kubert, who started a New Jersey school of cartooning that cemented his legacy as an industry great, has died, his son David Kubert confirms. He was 85.

As a comic book artist, Kubert had a hand in creating Sgt. Rock, a World War II Army soldier character that debuted in 1959, as well as the prehistoric Tor, one of the first comics presented in 3-D. He also famously drew Hawkman, starting in the 1940s. Before all that, he made his comic book debut when he was a child, just 12 years old, growing up in the East New York section of Brooklyn.

"It's become dramatically more accessible to make a livelihood with this business than it ever has been," said Kubert. Back when he started, for many artists, comics were seen as a shameful way to work. He said successful movies starring comic book heroes upped the cache of comics.

"We've gained a respectability that nobody who started in my business ever dreamed," said Kubert. "... It's amazing how money changes things."

In 1976, having moved to Dover, Kubert and his wife Muriel opened The Kubert School. Since then, students from all over the world who wanted to make a serious career in the comic book industry sought training there. One day a week, Kubert left his drawing table to teach a class in comic book narrative.

He saw his work as an artist as his life, not just his work. Kubert kept drawing, "... Not because I have to, but because I want to," he said.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn