RIP: Garry Marshall (1934-2016)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Legendary Director Garry Marshall Dies at 81

http://www.etonline.com/news/193627_legendary_director_garry_marshall_dies_at_81/

Legendary director and producer Garry Marshall died on Tuesday from complications of pneumonia, ET can confirm. He was 81.

Marshall was one of the pillars of Hollywood, in both the world of film and television, creating hit sitcoms and iconic movies. He also founded the Falcon Theatre in Burbank, California.

In 1970, Marshall made his first indelible mark on the industry when adapted the Neil Simon playThe Odd Couple into a long-running, acclaimed TV series of the same name, starring Tony Randall and Jack Klugman.

Four years later, he created the beloved series Happy Days, and later, multiple spin-off series:Laverne and Shirley, Joanie Loves Chachi and Mork & Mindy.

His big screen career was equally prolific, helming celebrated classics such as Pretty Woman(1990), Frankie and Johnny (1991), Runaway Bride (1999), and The Princess Diaries (2001).

Recently, Marshall helmed a series of holiday-themed ensemble rom-coms, starting withValentine's Day in 2010, followed by New Year's Eve in 2011 and Mother's Day earlier this year.Access Hollywood was the first to break the news of the director’s death.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truly an icon in the industry. One of my favorites. R.I.P.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been involved in so many great shows and movies through the years as a writer, director and producer but his acting roles were usually bit parts or cameos. It's funny that my favorite project that he was involved in had to do with him as an actor and in a fairly significant role. Soapdish is one of my favorite movies and he's great in it. Of course, given his role, you could make a case that wasn't acting but still, loved it. RIP Garry and thanks for entertaining me for most of my life.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm choosing to forget about that little dalliance with Joanie Loves Chachi and remember him fondly for the other amazing works he participated in. RIP.