Retooling the Cardinals' Defense

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch-

Your feelings for Peterson are well documented. Let’s just assume Wilks agrees with you that Peterson isn’t a fit for his system. He’s not going to really know that until they put the pads on and play games. That will be long after the offseason trading period is over, and we will have our 2018 QB by then, for better or worse, whom ever it is.

If he comes in here and trades (or suggests that Keim trade) a 7 time in 7 year Pro Bowler before he even has a chance to work with him, he is an idiot. Period.

I am excited to see what Wilks and Al Holcomb can do with PP and all of the talent we have on defense. I don't think trading PP is a discussion point with Wilks and the FO. I was posing a couple of examples in which we could acquire our QB. We are stuck at #15 in the draft and the UFA QB pool is chock-full of question marks.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mitch, I want to believe that you have some sense and truly don't think Peterson is dispensable; but alas, we're here.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a wonder why a 'wussy' like PP21 agrees to run back punts. I mean, why would a guy who supposedly refuses to hit allow the possibility of being hit?
Thats why he does fair catch or run lateral out of the field for a gain of 1 yard

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Mitch-

Your feelings for Peterson are well documented. Let’s just assume Wilks agrees with you that Peterson isn’t a fit for his system. He’s not going to really know that until they put the pads on and play games. That will be long after the offseason trading period is over, and we will have our 2018 QB by then, for better or worse, whom ever it is.

If he comes in here and trades (or suggests that Keim trade) a 7 time in 7 year Pro Bowler before he even has a chance to work with him, he is an idiot. Period.

In what system does Peterson not fit? When you are the best at your position, you fit in every system. The fact that we have to have extended conversations about Peterson and his value to this team is maddening.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
In what system does Peterson not fit? When you are the best at your position, you fit in every system. The fact that we have to have extended conversations about Peterson and his value to this team is maddening.

well...PP21 kinda suxx at zone coverage.... not williams kinda suxx, true... but if we had been a zone team the past 7 years the dude wouldnt have 7 pro bowls for sure.

I would anticipate Holcomb adopts a hybrid zone/man defense where we run man on the outside but zones in the middle...allows the staff to run the basic style of defense they like while also playing to player strengths

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In my opinion, daves, they hired exactly the right guy. There are fundamental aspects of playing defense that all 11 men on the field are required to adhere to. You can't have double standards. There is a fundamental and safe way to take on blocks and a fundamental way to tackle (break down, launch at the hitting zone right below the waist, head up, drive through and wrap). We had coaches who let PP do his thing. That did not work. It wasn't until rookie Budda Baker came into the lineup and started hitting people that the guys around him started to try to follow suit---everyone except PP.

No one wants to see any player get hurt. But, you can't play defense and play not to get hurt. It becomes a weak link in the chain and leads to more weak links, broken chains and double standards. No one is expecting PP or anyone else to play recklessly---but every player should be expected to play aggressively within the framework of the fundamentals. Look at Budda Baker. He's small and light, but he knows the fundamentals and he knows that trying to tackle up around the shoulder pads is a recipe for failure. PP is very capable of making routine plays. That's what should be expected, not pardoned.

I share the view of PP's style of play under BA/Bettcher as less than what PP is capable of. If PP is going to be named to the All-Pro team and be recognized as the best to ever play the position (as he desires), I think he is going to have to be fully involved as a D player and defender and not just a cover guy.

But Daves (and others) may be right in that it is enough for PP to play his way as a cover corner.

We will see how the SW uses PP---he may decide to keep things exactly the way they are. My own reading---given that SW's first principle stated at his opening press conference is 'physicality'---is that PP will be required to extend his game above being a cover corner.

This will be one of the mini-dramas to watch as the new coaching staff puts in their playbook and manages the D. In the meantime, it is a point of contention that allows for no budge room by either side. Tune in during preseason and see what PP is required to do or not do.

TJ

Reaction score
well...PP21 kinda suxx at zone coverage.... not williams kinda suxx, true... but if we had been a zone team the past 7 years the dude wouldnt have 7 pro bowls for sure.

I would anticipate Holcomb adopts a hybrid zone/man defense where we run man on the outside but zones in the middle...allows the staff to run the basic style of defense they like while also playing to player strengths

Peterson is elite in man coverage, but that doesnt mean he isnt good in zone coverage. One of the fundamental problem with last season's zone defense was poor communication. If you watch, there are a number of plays in which Peterson is signaling that the receiver is entering another part of the zone and that receiver makes a catch. That's not on Peterson.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I bet if he practiced zone coverage all day he'd be great at it

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Peterson is elite in man coverage, but that doesnt mean he isnt good in zone coverage. One of the fundamental problem with last season's zone defense was poor communication. If you watch, there are a number of plays in which Peterson is signaling that the receiver is entering another part of the zone and that receiver makes a catch. That's not on Peterson.
that may be true. still baffling that we switched to so much zone after running man so long

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Another question to ask, is how do we know Wilks "system"? I mean he has never been a head coach, so was he running his defense or was he running the head coach's defense?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This off seasonwill be interesting for sure. Don't believe they'll move Peterson. He takes half the field almost. He's a main reason for the Cards' blitz packages to be super effective. And I would hope that he's willing to do things Wilks' way. Mathieus' game would also take off in their system. I hope they can work that out. But between him and Buccanon something is gonna need to give there. They can't carry both of those salaries with so many holes on the OL, imo.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But the key to me was finding a way to acquire QB Nick Foles. I am convinced he's the best QB for the Cardinals.
Only if the Eagles offensive line comes with. Foles will be killed behind our line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk