Resume and recruiting sites

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have decided it is time to update my resume. It was sharp, creative and appealing 12 years ago; however, it now looks antiquated and blah. Does anyone have any sites or templates they would recommend using?

Also, once I update my resume, I want to put it out there and make it available to recruiters. Anyone have any sites or recommendations for that?

Thanks!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The company I work for uses Indeed.com for our hiring

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
indeed and linked in are both very good. I also have been using glassdoor. All 3 of them seem to get the same jobs eventually.

As for resumes, I did a request on Linked in to get advice on my resume but all i got was about 15 people contacting me all asking for the exact same price to help me redo my resume, apparently the price is fixed by Linked In. I wasn't too thrilled with it, the price was high and it's just not possible to know who's good and who's not. so I did nothing, got hired somewhere and talked to 2 people in HR who both told me my resume was fine and they find professionally written ones are often "overdone." One was the recruiter who found me he said resumes are very position dependent, if you're in an administrative role we want to see certain things, as a Facilities Manager(my role) they wanted to see experience and skills, they didn't care what format or font I used.

I was there 10 weeks and then we had a huge layoff so I'm out looking again and using the exact same resume just updated with the last job.

Basically the feedback I got was the key is tailor your resume to the position you're applying for. Also if you haven't changed jobs in 12 years you will find some of the same stuff I found not having interviewed in nearly 8 years before this. Everyone does phone screens now, at least in Silicon Valley they do. Often now the format is phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager, "zoom interview" with hiring manager, which is a video call. And then finally you get to the onsite interview. The company I'm interviewing with right now I did email screen, phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager followed by onsite interview with 4 people waiting for decision. That's been very much an outlier seems like the process is much more involved now than it was the last time I was interviewing.

All of Indeed, Linked In and Glassdoor will allow you to post resumes that are available for potential employers.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Glassdoor. I am on Linked In, though I need to update my profile. (Probably want to drop my boss from my connections as well since I am going to be putting my feelers out there, lol.)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Glassdoor. I am on Linked In, though I need to update my profile. (Probably want to drop my boss from my connections as well since I am going to be putting my feelers out there, lol.)

I have grown to like Linked In but i have to admit I tried the free trial of Premium and was unimpressed. you can still get anonymous views of your profile even with Premium and I saw no competitive advantage so I never went past the free trial.

The interesting thing with Glassdoor is the selling point is supposed to be the reviews by employees, and the salary info, but I haven't found that to be all that useful. It turns out lots of companies encourage employees to post positive reviews on Glassdoor. I was at an all hands meeting at my last company after a very negative article was written about the company, we were very clearly encouraged to stay off Twitter and Social media about it but "post positive reviews on glassdoor that's a good way to help." They weren't requiring it of course but if you look at the reviews sometimes you can see clusters of dates where a bunch are posted and it makes you suspect they were encouraged by their company to post there and several did. THere were some reviews on the company I was just laid off from that were dead on but it's impossible to know in advance which are true and which aren't.

But they do get lots of jobs.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Basically the feedback I got was the key is tailor your resume to the position you're applying for. Also if you haven't changed jobs in 12 years you will find some of the same stuff I found not having interviewed in nearly 8 years before this. Everyone does phone screens now, at least in Silicon Valley they do. Often now the format is phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager, "zoom interview" with hiring manager, which is a video call. And then finally you get to the onsite interview. The company I'm interviewing with right now I did email screen, phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager followed by onsite interview with 4 people waiting for decision. That's been very much an outlier seems like the process is much more involved now than it was the last time I was interviewing.

All of Indeed, Linked In and Glassdoor will allow you to post resumes that are available for potential employers.

Great googly moogly, that sounds nuts.

I've been with the same company for 22 years, and the rumors are flying hot and heavy about being split up and sold off or just plain bought out, so I've been looking around.

I've applied for a few jobs and haven't even gotten a nibble yet. Not a big deal as I'm still employed, but who knows when the Sword of Damocles will fall ... ugh.

maven

Reaction score
HI! It would be nice if you will use Canva for your resume. There's a lot of templates to choose from. You can customize the template to make it classy or choose any template that can represent yourself. That can be more appealing to your clients.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
PM me. I have some pointers from a headhunter that makes me interview for all jobs my CV ends at. I run a department of 130 people today

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Geez! I am applying for EVERYTHING I can, and I need a job ASAP! I am getting desperate! I use Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIN. I am even looking for retail stock shelves, ditch digging, dish washing, maid jobs, etc. No job is beneath me. I do have food allergies so I have been staying away from making food. Now I am even looking at that!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA