Replay

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I haven't watched a ton of NBA, do still figuring out the replay.

I'm not sure what they are intending to do.

I know about the last 2 minute reports and kind of the growth from there.

I guess my question is are they looking to be technically correct to the finest line - even if it goes against how the play is normally officiated or are they trying to correct errors?

I've seen this a lot in soccer and it's handled differently everywhere and it can be maddening anywhere

I was fine with the Ayton out of bounds review. This is the type of scramble play that is hard to see and has caused controversy in the past - they got a good look and it was pretty clearly out on Ayton

I do have a problem with the Booker out of bounds.

The defender played it out of his hand and the ball went out of bounds - I could see s review if there was a double touch, it hit his foot or if he was on the boundary line or something like that

This is a play that wouldn't ever get a second look or a complaint - it's about as routine as it gets

Which gets me back to standards and intent.

If you are looking at obvious errors, the refs wouldn't have made one in calling it out on the defender

If you are looking frame by frame to get the technical decision then it was out on Booker.

My complaint with that standard is it's not consistent with the game - the very nature of pushing to dribble a sphere is that the a defender contacts it with a swipe your hand is still pushing down and the ball will roll some out of contact.

If you slowed down every similar such play to as frame by frame analysis, I'm sure what happened last night isn't uncommon

It is uncommon to subject it to that level of scrutiny though

A level that I think is undue and a bit harsh

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll add this in too....if the NBA did an instant replay and followed the "letter of the law" rules....traveling would be called about 86 times per game. Paul George got a fast break layup that included 5 steps with the ball and not a single dribble

OP
OP
MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I'll add this in too....if the NBA did an instant replay and followed the "letter of the law" rules....traveling would be called about 86 times per game. Paul George got a fast break layup that included 5 steps with the ball and not a single dribble

Agreed.

Going to go frame by frame to see when a pivot foot shifts?

There are countless plays that look normal that would look technically incorrect under a higher level of scrutiny

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a good point. And the teams can’t challenge if they’ve used theirs, but it sure seemed like the clippers talked the refs into reviewing a few times in the last two minutes. So if you can do that, what’s the use of limiting challenge? And then shouldn’t they literally review every aspect of every play in last two minutes? If the ref is unsure of a call that means they missed it. In those instances of the game they make a call and play goes on. How does being unsure bc you missed the action differ from all the other stuff that goes uncalled bc they missed the action? It’s become stupid.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't watched a ton of NBA, do still figuring out the replay.

I'm not sure what they are intending to do.

I know about the last 2 minute reports and kind of the growth from there.

I guess my question is are they looking to be technically correct to the finest line - even if it goes against how the play is normally officiated or are they trying to correct errors?

I've seen this a lot in soccer and it's handled differently everywhere and it can be maddening anywhere

I was fine with the Ayton out of bounds review. This is the type of scramble play that is hard to see and has caused controversy in the past - they got a good look and it was pretty clearly out on Ayton

I do have a problem with the Booker out of bounds.

The defender played it out of his hand and the ball went out of bounds - I could see s review if there was a double touch, it hit his foot or if he was on the boundary line or something like that

This is a play that wouldn't ever get a second look or a complaint - it's about as routine as it gets

Which gets me back to standards and intent.

If you are looking at obvious errors, the refs wouldn't have made one in calling it out on the defender

If you are looking frame by frame to get the technical decision then it was out on Booker.

My complaint with that standard is it's not consistent with the game - the very nature of pushing to dribble a sphere is that the a defender contacts it with a swipe your hand is still pushing down and the ball will roll some out of contact.

If you slowed down every similar such play to as frame by frame analysis, I'm sure what happened last night isn't uncommon

It is uncommon to subject it to that level of scrutiny though

A level that I think is undue and a bit harsh

If it is going to be reviewed, then it has to be called as it was. The rule is hard and fast. Whoever touches it last. I agree that most times it goes the other way because it LOOKs like the defender is the one who touched it last. If you have replay, you have to call it that way.

Honestly. I do not have any problem with the replay calls last night. They just need to find a way to do it faster. I do not think the refs on the floor should call the replays. Let a guy in a booth someplace do it. It will happen quicker and the play can move on. Replays should not be free time outs. The only way to avoid that is not keep the teams in the middle of the floor during the review. Also, teams should not be able to complain, browbeat, cajole, or complain their way into a replay. Asking for a replay--by any player--when they no longer have onee available to them should be like asking for a timeout when you don't have one. Automatic technical.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If it is going to be reviewed, then it has to be called as it was. The rule is hard and fast. Whoever touches it last. I agree that most times it goes the other way because it LOOKs like the defender is the one who touched it last. If you have replay, you have to call it that way.

Honestly. I do not have any problem with the replay calls last night. They just need to find a way to do it faster. I do not think the refs on the floor should call the replays. Let a guy in a booth someplace do it. It will happen quicker and the play can move on. Replays should not be free time outs. The only way to avoid that is not keep the teams in the middle of the floor during the review. Also, teams should not be able to complain, browbeat, cajole, or complain their way into a replay. Asking for a replay--by any player--when they no longer have onee available to them should be like asking for a timeout when you don't have one. Automatic technical.
I like that rule. You had a challenge. You don’t anymore. Don’t ask, question or insinuate or T!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Give each team a challenge or two...all other replays can only be initiated from a booth ref...chosen from a separate pool of refs that are not on floor crews..so we end this pettiness of refs and players relationship impacting games...and it can happen any time they deem its needed...not this change the game in the last 2 min crap.

The replay ref should be someone who has not called games on the floor with any of the current players.

Adam Carolla has been telling the NFL to get a replay gimp....just some guy they keep in a box like in pulp fiction. He's only let out to watch the replay and make the objective call...then back in the box!!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think every team needs a couple of challenges and if they are ruled correct they get them back.

As it stands now, coaches are reluctant to use them early in the game because they won't have them for a crucial play in the second half.

Reviews are good for flagrant fouls and where the referees don't see the play.

I don't like if the referees review a play, they can't rule on other things that were relevant to that particular play.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they should put an end to the replays, all they do is slow the game down. Fans and teams are still unhappy about the missed and blown calls.

I also think they should support the refs more aggressively and begin penalizing teams for players that try to manipulate the refs into making bad calls. Going after the players didn't work, start fining the franchise instead and the coaches will coach this behavior out of the game. Once those things are well in motion, then it's time to start firing refs that routinely fail to follow the rules and the league dictates. It's a joke right now.

For example, they told us for years they were taking the physicality out of the game but the moment Lebron and the Lakers ended up in the playoffs last season, the refs acted like it was still the Chuck Daly era. So, having raised the contact bar it's no surprise that refs are allowing a lot more of it now.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I think they should put an end to the replays, all they do is slow the game down. Fans and teams are still unhappy about the missed and blown calls.

I also think they should support the refs more aggressively and begin penalizing teams for players that try to manipulate the refs into making bad calls. Going after the players didn't work, start fining the franchise instead and the coaches will coach this behavior out of the game. Once those things are well in motion, then it's time to start firing refs that routinely fail to follow the rules and the league dictates. It's a joke right now.

For example, they told us for years they were taking the physicality out of the game but the moment Lebron and the Lakers ended up in the playoffs last season, the refs acted like it was still the Chuck Daly era. So, having raised the contact bar it's no surprise that refs are allowing a lot more of it now.
Hey. You sound like an old timer. I totally agree with you.
Look at last night’s game as an example. In all, it took more than half an hour to play the final 90 seconds of the game, dragged out by five replay reviews and four timeouts. The last 8.4 seconds alone took seven minutes to play.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with the decision to review but it can’t take 5 minutes. In fact half of the time is spent trying to get it on the monitor. The reviews should be done by a separate crew and they radio to the refs the outcome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave