Redskins may tag Cousins to trade him

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
While that is true we would be on the hook for 30 + million next year, and no guarantees for the loss of our pick other then one year 30+ million. Not worth it for anyone to make that deal. I'll go on record to say that (I think) this is pure fan speak and not coming from the redskins front office. There is no benefit to Washington to do this. IMO
That's not entirely the case. Whoever trades for him will already have a contract worked out, which certainly wouldn't be the tag amount. No team will trade for him if he doesn't agree to a long term deal, and the rumor is the Skins want at least the 3rd rounder they paid for Smith.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is not a good risk, IMO. Nobody is going to give him a huge contract and two first round picks. I think everyone knows that they would eventfully cut him/resend the tag, so why pay?
Ah yeah. I was reading the picks as compensatory vs compensation picks.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think the assumption about the Redskins tagging Cousins to trade him is right. They will non-exclusive franchise tag him so they can get the compensation picks (2 first rounders) when he signs somewhere else.

It's actually pretty smart by the Redskins to do this since pretty much everyone agrees he's signing somewhere else. There's still some risk that a team won't come forward, but if he does sign somewhere else they Skins will get Smith (trade) and two first round comp picks. Not to mention saving some cap space.

thats just it... they WILL NOT get 2 first round picks. That is the base the tag is set at but I dont think it has ever happened. The "selling" team then negotiates with the "buying" team and they make a deal.... I think the skins were the last buying team and they paid a single first round pick.... if the two teams cannot agree on compensation then they wouldnt sign cousins, because if they do sign him then they are liable for the two first round picks.

If they tag him...the rumor mill will spring up with something like, "The Skins are hoping to get a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for him" and that basically sets the asking price and beginning of negotiations.... then they end up getting two 3rds or one 2nd or something

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Redskins won't get two first round picks, but some team (that includes us), could pay a draft pick to beat out the competitors. He might not want to pick us over the Broncos, but if we traded a 5th to the Redskins for his rights, he might accept that he's not making it to Denver.

Not that I want it to happen that way, but it's possible.

A fifth round pick for what may prove nothing more than a conversation....

Don't think so.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Redskins can take the risk of putting the franchise tag on Cousins, then having him sign the deal and notify other teams that he will not negotiate any extension for one year. No team would sign him under those circumstances and the Redskins would be stuck paying him $34.5M and unable to sign any free agents. The Alex Smith trade might be scuttled under those circumstances but even if both sides feel compelled to go through with it and the Redskins somehow fit both players under the cap, then the Redskins would be left with two starting caliber QBs taking up a monstrous amount of cap space.

It's a completely untenable situation that the Redskins would not risk facing.

...dbs

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
That's not entirely the case. Whoever trades for him will already have a contract worked out, which certainly wouldn't be the tag amount. No team will trade for him if he doesn't agree to a long term deal, and the rumor is the Skins want at least the 3rd rounder they paid for Smith.

I get that, but why would KC want to work out a deal that pays him less then what he makes on the F-tag? Do you think he wants the skins to get some compensation for letting him go? He obviously has no issues with playing on a one year big money deal.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I don't think the Redskins can take the risk of putting the franchise tag on Cousins, then having him sign the deal and notify other teams that he will not negotiate any extension for one year. No team would sign him under those circumstances and the Redskins would be stuck paying him $34.5M and unable to sign any free agents. The Alex Smith trade might be scuttled under those circumstances but even if both sides feel compelled to go through with it and the Redskins somehow fit both players under the cap, then the Redskins would be left with two starting caliber QBs taking up a monstrous amount of cap space.

It's a completely untenable situation that the Redskins would not risk facing.

...dbs
This is what I have been trying to say, but you put it so much better. I would add that KC will not do anything that would help the skins. Why would he, if there is a team that he wants to play for and deal with why would he want them to loose a draft pick?