Recipe-a-Day #3 - Banana Bread

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was my mom's recipe. So many times I've had banana bread that was dry. Blech. This one is a very moist recipe! I usually use 3 whole bananas, squished, for one loaf. 5 for a double batch. The riper the banana (spotty, but not black), the better the flavor will be!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banana Bread

Makes one loaf

Preheat oven to 350

1/3 Cup shortening
1/2 Cup sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 - 3 whole bananas, mashed
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Cream together shortening and sugar, add eggs and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana, blending well after each addition. Stir in nuts. Pour into well-greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes, or until done. Poke with wooden toothpick in center of bread to check if it is done. If toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done. Remove from pan and cool on rack before cutting.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who doesn't love banana bread!!?!! I love this recipe-a-day thing....:D

OP
OP
C

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I've made this recipe many times with whole wheat flour and it has turned out great! If you use the whole wheat flour from Sprouts or somewhere, you can just replace the white flour with wheat, exactly the same amounts. But if you happen to have fresh ground wheat flour from the farm (hubby grew up on a wheat farm in Montana, so we often have the fresh from the farm kind) then you need to do half wheat and half white or the bread turns out really flat and gross. I know there is some kind of thing you can add to the wheat flour to make it bake right so you don't have to add the white flour, but I don't know what that is, so I've just always used the half wheat, half white way. Makes the bread more filling, healthier and have a much fuller flavor.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CQ said:
Oh, and I've made this recipe many times with whole wheat flour and it has turned out great! If you use the whole wheat flour from Sprouts or somewhere, you can just replace the white flour with wheat, exactly the same amounts. But if you happen to have fresh ground wheat flour from the farm (hubby grew up on a wheat farm in Montana, so we often have the fresh from the farm kind) then you need to do half wheat and half white or the bread turns out really flat and gross. I know there is some kind of thing you can add to the wheat flour to make it bake right so you don't have to add the white flour, but I don't know what that is, so I've just always used the half wheat, half white way. Makes the bread more filling, healthier and have a much fuller flavor.

Probably gluten.

just did quick reading online: Probably NOT gluten...:shrug:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can I request a Casserole for #4??

Is that in bounds, or out of bounds??

OP
OP
C

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Can I request a Casserole for #4??

Is that in bounds, or out of bounds??

I have a soup planned, but I might do a casserole instead, just for you ;) , and then post this soup the next day. We shall see!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CQ said:
I have a soup planned, but I might do a casserole instead, just for you ;) , and then post this soup the next day. We shall see!

A soup that will eat like a meal?? Those'r Darn Tootin'. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson