2008 BAL: S Tom Zbikowski---played 2-3 years and retired
2009 MIN: CB Asher Allen---played 3 seasons and retired
2010 PHI: DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim---played 1 season, then to PS now in AFL
2011 KC: DE Allen Bailey---still with KC---career: 86 tackles; 7 sacks
2012 DAL: LB Sean Spence---still with Steelers---career: 53 tackles; 1 sack
2013 IND: G Hugh Thornton---started 20 games in 2 years; on IR late last season
2014 PHI: WR Josh Huff---rookie stats: 8/98/12.3/0 TDs

Not a very productive spot, as recent history would suggest. Although---

In 2008---WR Harry Douglass (#84) and DE Cliff Avril (#92) were home runs.
In 2009---WR Mike Wallace (#84), CB Ladarius Webb (#88), CB Jerraud Powers (#92)
In 2010---WR Eric Decker (#87), LB Navarro Bowman (#91), TE Jimmy Graham (#95)
In 2011---CB Chris Culliver (#80), DT Drake Nevis (#87), DT Kenrick Ellis (#94)
In 2012---WR Mohamed Sanu (#83), QB Nick Foles (#88), WR T.Y. Hilton (#92)
In 2013---TE Jordan Reed (#85), WR Stedman Bailey (#92), RB Knile Davis (#96)
In 2014---WR John Brown (#91), RB Terrance West (#94), RB Jerick McKinnon (#96)

Thus the positions that seem to do well for teams in this area of the draft are WR, RB, CB, TE.

3rd Round RB Possibilities:

T.J. Yeldon, Alabama
Javorius Allen, USC
David Cobb, Minnesota
Mike Davis, South Carolina
David Johnson, Northern Iowa
Malcolm Brown, Texas

3rd Round WR Possibilities at WR:

Rashad Greene, Florida St.
Chris Conley, Georgia
Stefon Diggs, Maryland
Antwan Goodley, Baylor
Tre McBride, William and Mary
Justin Hardy, East Carolina
T.J. Lockett, Kansas St.
Jamison Crowder, Duke

3rd Round CB Possibilities:

Ronald Darby, Florida St.
Charles Gaines, Louisville
Lorenzo Doss, Tulane
Senquez Golson, Mississippi
Steven Nelson, Oregon St.
Josh Shaw, USC
D'Joun Smith, Florida Atlantic
Alex Carter, Stanford

3rd Round Edge Rusher Possibilities:

Hau'oli Kikaha, Washington
Nate Orchard, Utah
Max Valles, Virginia
Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville
Davis Tull, Tennessee-Chattanooga
Lynden Trail, Norfolk St.
Trey Flowers, Arkansas
Markus Golden, Missouri

3rd Round LB Possibilities:

Kwon Alexander, LSU
Jake Ryan, Michigan
Ben Heeney, Kansas
Paul Dawson, TCU (slow 40 time and baggage issues?)
Martrell Spaight, Arkansas
Jordan Hicks, Texas

Conclusion: I think it may serve the Cardinals well to do what they did last year and trade down in the 1st round to add another 3rd round pick. If they are able to do, here are 3 scenarios to consider:

Scenario A:

1. Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia
2. Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana
3. T.J. Lockett, WR/PR, Kansas St.
3. Alex Carter, CB, Stanford
4. Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

Scenario B:

1. Devin Smith, WR, Ohio St.
2. Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska
3. Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington
3. Kwon Alexander, LB, LSU
4. Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon St.

Scenario C:

1. Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut
2. Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise St.
3. Stefon Diggs, WR/PR, Maryland
3. Davis Tull, OLB, Tennessee-Chatanooga
4. Ben Heeney, LB, Kansas

Which of these scenarios would you choose? Is there another combination you would try to go with?

I would go with Scenario B---I think in FA we added good size and strength, what we now need is to compliment that with speed and playmaking skill.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Scenario A:

1. Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia
2. Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana
3. T.J. Lockett, WR/PR, Kansas St.
3. Alex Carter, CB, Stanford
4. Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

Scenario B:

1. Devin Smith, WR, Ohio St.
2. Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska
3. Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington
3. Kwon Alexander, LB, LSU
4. Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon St.

Scenario C:

1. Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut
2. Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise St.
3. Stefon Diggs, WR/PR, Maryland
3. Davis Tull, OLB, Tennessee-Chatanooga
4. Ben Heeney, LB, Kansas

Which of these scenarios would you choose? Is there another combination you would try to go with?

I would go with Scenario B---I think in FA we added good size and strength, what we now need is to compliment that with speed and playmaking skill.

Making a draft out of your three scenario's in a trade down, I'd take:

1. Byron Jones
2. Either one of Coleman or Abdullah
3. TJ Lockett
3. Hau'oli Kikaha or OL
4. Ben Heeney or OL

That said, I think this draft may offer some surprises. They are targeting someone and have looked into moving up in the draft as well.

They could also stay put if they like what they see on the board when Houston is up @ 18. Six picks to go before they're up. They might like how the draft board is falling to them. OR they really want this one guy and are willing to part with the 3rd.

To me it would have to be one of the high profile pass rushers, they'd go after. Maybe DuPree.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I just don't see going through 4 rounds without addressing the D-line, I am in on the trade down scenario if a difference maker is not there at pick 24.

I think BA&SK feel that they addressed the D-line well in FA. In fact, they already have a numbers issue:

DEs: Campbell, Redding, Rucker, Peters, Stinson, Shaughnessy, Mauro
DTs: Peters, Ta'amu, Stinson (they said he will be used some at NT)

Peters was signed to play NT in the base and DT in 4 man lines.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think BA&SK feel that they addressed the D-line well in FA. In fact, they already have a numbers issue:

That doesn't even take into account Kareem Martin who they'll try at OLB or rush end on 3rd downs.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Peters was signed to play NT in the base and DT in 4 man lines.

BASK may very well feel comfortable with the current Dline but it appears to me that SK won't hesitate to upgrade a position or unit if the opportunity presents itself. So if Shelton falls to them and he is graded highly by BASK then I can see them pulling the trigger.

If SK can cut ADUB then Rucker or ....well anybody not named Fitz can be jettisoned to improve the roster.

I would also think that after the rash of injuries we just experienced that BASK would be even more inclined to add talent at important positions even if they are currently "well stocked".

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like any scenario that has us taking a RB in the 2nd rd. Seriously Mitch, you are posting threads that show how a certain rd and pick # that we have produced in the past and are ignoring how we have never ever drafted a back in the 2nd rd that hasn't sucked and or been injury prone. :D

Feed the trenches, FEED THEM.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I don't like any scenario that has us taking a RB in the 2nd rd. Seriously Mitch, you are posting threads that show how a certain rd and pick # that we have produced in the past and are ignoring how we have never ever drafted a back in the 2nd rd that hasn't sucked and or been injury prone. :D

Feed the trenches, FEED THEM.

If the Lions thought this way they would have never drafted Megatron after a bunch of 1st round WR misses.

The #55 pick will be a hot spot for RBs in this draft. BA said they like the depth at RB in this draft, so you may be 100% correct. But, they have spent time with Abdullah and Coleman and Ajayi---and you can forget about any one of them being there at #86. Maybe T.J. Yeldon makes it to #86, but even then it's not likely.

The Cardinals are very serious about adding an impact RB---hence their interest in Adrian Peterson and hence their adding Mike Iupati as the new left guard mauler. Thus, I would be surprised if they waited until the late 3rd round to draft one, assuming the Adrian Peterson trade is off the table.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Lions thought this way they would have never drafted Megatron after a bunch of 1st round WR misses.

I agree Mitch, I just feel compelled to keep Duckjake's fun posts about this topic around, fond memories for me.

The #55 pick will be a hot spot for RBs in this draft. BA said they like the depth at RB in this draft, so you may be 100% correct. But, they have spent time with Abdullah and Coleman and Ajayi---and you can forget about any one of them being there at #86. Maybe T.J. Yeldon makes it to #86, but even then it's not likely.

Never say never about draft prospects "falling", especially RB's.

The Cardinals are very serious about adding an impact RB---hence their interest in Adrian Peterson and hence their adding Mike Iupati as the new left guard mauler. Thus, I would be surprised if they waited until the late 3rd round to draft one, assuming the Adrian Peterson trade is off the table.

It was my opinion that BASK wanted to add a complimentary piece at RB and AP was just a lucky possibility based on Birdmans posts. I do agree that they will add one in the draft (if the AP thing doesn't happen).

My list of needs priority wise are:
1 ILBer
2 OLBer
3 KO/PR
Then I lump the following positions equally:
NT
CB
RB
OT (we have not depth)

Then
OG/OC
ILBer
OLBer
WR

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Lockett isn't there I really like that guy from Louisville Lorenzo Mauldin. There might be some question to him being a olb but great length, good quickness, and has a nose for the ball.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
If Lockett isn't there I really like that guy from Louisville Lorenzo Mauldin. There might be some question to him being a olb but great length, good quickness, and has a nose for the ball.

I agree. Mauldin's versatility is a plus---kind of like Rob Ninkovich on the Pats.