Recap - and where do we go from here?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RECAP – 4/30

Contracts adjusted:
DHop, Kennard, Pugh

Cuts: Hicks, Phillips (post June 1)

Re-sign: Ertz, Williams, Conner, McCoy, Gardeck, Dogbe, Lee, Brewer, Turner, A.J. Green, A. Hamilton

Sign: CB: Gladney, ILB: Vigil, G: Hernandez, TE: Anderson

Draft/Trade: H. Brown, T. McBride, C. Thomas, M. Sanders, K. Ingram, L. Smith, C. Matthew, Jesse Luketa, M. Hayes

Note: Rd#4 pick was used to acquire Marco Wilson and Rd#5 pick got us Zack Ertz.

Offence:
LT: Humphries (28) LG: Pugh (31) C: Hudson (32) RG: Murray (28)-Hernandez (26), RT: Beachum (32)-Jones (24)
Draft response: Lecitus Smith (G), Marquis Hayes (23) (G)
QB: Murray (24), McCoy (35)
RB: Conner (26), Benjamin (22), Ward (24), Samuels (25), Ingram (22)
Draft response:
Keaontay Ingram
WR: Hopkins (29), Hollywood B. (24), Green (33), Moore (21), Wesley (24), Isabella (25), Dortch (23)
Response: trade for H. Brown
TE: Ertz (31), Williams (27), Anderson (29) Trey McBride (22)

Defence:
Watt (33), Allen (24), Lawrence (23), Fotu (23), Dogbe (25), C. Thomas (22)
Draft response: D-end-OLB: Cameron Thomas (22)
Golden (31), Kennard (30), Gardeck (27), Dimukeje (22), M. Sanders (22), J. Luketa (23)
Draft response: D-end-OLB: Myjai Sanders (22) – OLB-ILB: Jesse Luketa (23)
Simmons (23), Collins (22), Vigil (28), Vallejo (27), Walker (29), Turner (25)
Murphy (24), Wilson (23), Gladney (25), Hamilton (29), Matthew (25)
Draft response: Christian Matthew (CB)
Baker (26), J. Thompson (23), S. Thompson (25), Wiggins (24)

UDFA?

Remaining FA NEEDS?

RB-2

DT/NT

Pass rusher

CB

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Clowney or Ingram as a safety net would make me feel really good about this team in relation to the talent level last season, meaning on par if not better considering they do not break down again in a late season slump. I know it seems likely that Clowney will sign I think with the Browns, but what I love about Clowney is that his actual main strength is stuffing the run and he has played with JJ Watt

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Who plays QB when Murray goes down with a season ending injury? Maybe Keim should keep the Browns' GM phone number on speed dial on his cell, and Baker's also in case he has already been cut, paid, and is sitting on his couch, cell phone in hand, hoping and waiting to see whose QB goes down first.

Last edited:

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Clowney or Ingram as a safety net would make me feel really good about this team in relation to the talent level last season, meaning on par if not better considering they do not break down again in a late season slump. I know it seems likely that Clowney will sign I think with the Browns, but what I love about Clowney is that his actual main strength is stuffing the run and he has played with JJ Watt
I’d imagine Cards aren’t willing to pay Clowney what he wants.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Who plays QB when Murray goes down with a season ending injury? Maybe Keim should keep the Browns' GM phone number on speed dial on his cell, and Baker's also in case he has already been cut, paid, and is sitting on his couch, cell phone in hand, hoping and waiting to see whose QB goes down first.
You know they have a capable QB2, right? Also, why you gotta throw the bad juju on the board?

Reaction score
So oline?? Just wondering why we don't take that seriously. Can we trade Isabella to anyone for oline? Probably wouldn't get much for him anyways

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with the 2 mauling OGs we picked. Both the opposite of our usual Guard tendencies. Big, heavy mauler both good in space.

I'm confused and intrigued about the plan at Edge.

Thomas is a tweener who I think would be better as Zach Allen's replacement but Keim says will be OLB. Sanders seems like a situational rusher for now and eventual replacement for Golden. And Luketa seems like a depth guy at best.

OP
OP
QuebecCard

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with the 2 mauling OGs we picked. Both the opposite of our usual Guard tendencies. Big, heavy mauler both good in space.

I'm confused and intrigued about the plan at Edge.

Thomas is a tweener who I think would be better as Zach Allen's replacement but Keim says will be OLB. Sanders seems like a situational rusher for now and eventual replacement for Golden. And Luketa seems like a depth guy at best.

The second time you've referenced Thomas as a substitute for Allen. Why?

If Allen plays well this season there is no reason not to re-up him. We need 5-techniques that can move inside if needed.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The second time you've referenced Thomas as a substitute for Allen. Why?

If Allen plays well this season there is no reason not to re-up him. We need 5-techniques that can move inside if needed.

Well for one, he isn't very good. He's not starter quality. That's not to say he shouldn't stick around as depth but as a starter he should be replaced.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Day 3 presser. Keim explains what he sees in the picks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not with you there. It's a rotational role and Allen has just come off his first full health season.

Fair enough.

He's never played less than 50% snaps and played 70% last year. As far as DL goes he's a starter.

I don't think he would start for many other teams in the league. Never had higher than 58 PFF grade. Not great vs the run or rushing the passer.

He'd be fine as a 35-40% depth guy but for the amount he plays its a spot we could easily upgrade IMO.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As I see it, our Offense seems set, going into the preseason. Where there is still a lot of work to do is with our Defense. Consider:
DL-Still need a couple of Big Bodies.
OLB-Need a proven pass rusher. I like the two 3rd round picks, but we'd have to be very lucky for even one of them to emerge as a PR, this year. And whenever luck is mentioned for the Cardinals, it's usually not the good kind.
CB-Still need a vet, imo, at that position. Is Alford available?

All things considered we're moving in the right direction.

Oh, and let's not forget the elephant in the room, Kyler's Kontract.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not going to happen unless there’s a serious injury in camp or both rookies look like they’ll never make it. We will only keep 5 OLB’s. Golden, Gardeck and Kennard are locks. Dimukeje is a second year player who showed flashes of decency. The 2 3rd round picks would have to work really hard to get cut.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fair enough.

He's never played less than 50% snaps and played 70% last year. As far as DL goes he's a starter.

I don't think he would start for many other teams in the league. Never had higher than 58 PFF grade. Not great vs the run or rushing the passer.

He'd be fine as a 35-40% depth guy but for the amount he plays its a spot we could easily upgrade IMO.
I see what your saying and the numbers deforest back up your case but he’s shown flashes and works his tail off. I think the organization likes him and I expect them to extend him. He’s a solid player and won’t break the bank. Good teams need players like him, especially teams who are going to be offense-heavy on the payroll like we will be.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I fully expect the Cardinals to at the very least sign a veteran defensive tackle and a cornerback(maybe Alford) this summer. Also, possibly an edge rusher, running back, and offensive lineman, depending on how the guys on our current roster look and which free agents are available.