Reality is not Always Fun

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Maybe we can put aside the wishful thinking and stop attacking people who point out this is a bad team. Don’t bury Murray just yet, but the Cards need to get real about what’s going wrong. It’s also time to start a dialogue about what can be saved on this team and put to good use. Also where should they go from here. Let’s say getting a decent potential QB (Murray) was just step one. How do they build around him? How do they avoid ruining him? What can be done personnel wise and in what time frame? Stop worrying about winning. It’s too late for that. How can they best assess what they have that can go forward? Lots to discuss and yelling at each other won’t help. It’s time to put everything on the table and get as much input as possible.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think a good way to view this is to ask yourself in the given situation, who do the Cardinals have starting which actually merit to be starters and not backups right now, relating them to the starting caliber of other teams. If we include both sides of the ball, I do not even think we reach a half count of 11 of the 22 starters... instead of arguing about Murray and Johnson, we need to ask why a guy like Zach Allen gets to fly under the radar

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that KKs offense is a joke and if Brady was under center it would not make much of a difference.

Last edited:

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, building around KM has suddenly been made much more difficult with rapid decline of defense. Only so much resources to go around at end of day.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn’t a team in the league that has 22 all pro players.

On defense assuming one of the Thompson kids can move to safety we need two stud d-linemen and two lb’s , one inside and one outside.

On offense we need two stud offensive linemen, a TE threat, a fresh young pair of legs at rb ( draft) to pair with Edmonds and move DJ to a third down back. With our first pick we need to grab the best o- lineman available. I know the air raid supposedly don’t use tight end but a truly dual threat te could be.

With as high as We’ll be picking and 100 mil in cap space it can be done.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The team is bad, but it isn’t as bad as many are making it out to be.

If the two field goals weren’t missed we would have been within a score till the last drive.

The offense is close to being good enough, and I think there is hope for it this season. The defense isn’t though.

Last seasons team had zero redeeming qualities, and I am getting sick of people saying this years is as bad or worse - it is without a doubt better offensively.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Much better post than last week's. There are issues. The QB isn't one of them. The head coach has shown he has creativity and can probably do the job and does have talent to adjust. Let him learn and grow. You absolutely cannot give up on Kliff.

The fact you got 11 players on defense and 3 are legit NFL starters, yeah that's a big problem.

You got a pretty good RB that might not fit the system. That's a problem. You have an offensive line that is not good. That's a problem.

Biggest problem? You either have a really bad GM, or a meddling owner that gets in the way of the GM doing his job, or both. That is absolutely the #1 issue moving forward. That needs to be fixed. The team is in this situation because they threw away draft after draft and also drove away one of the best head coaches in the NFL. Cant bring back Arians, but the rest can be fixed as long as they aren't delusional about what caused the hole on talent.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team is bad, but it isn’t as bad as many are making it out to be.

If the two field goals weren’t missed we would have been within a score till the last drive.

The offense is close to being good enough, and I think there is hope for it this season. The defense isn’t though.

Last seasons team had zero redeeming qualities, and I am getting sick of people saying this years is as bad or worse - it is without a doubt better offensively.
Most of us prayed This defense could just be adequate. But take that hope and subtract Peterson, Alford, Philon and throw in nkendouchebag since he was being counted on and you’ve lost 36% of our starting defense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most of us prayed This defense could just be adequate. But take that hope and subtract Peterson, Alford, Philon and throw in nkendouchebag since he was being counted on and you’ve lost 36% of our starting defense.

Well yes, but don’t fool yourself Philon and nkemdiche were not good starters. Probably very similar to their replacements.

I’m really not sure how much the corners being down are hurting us.

Reddick and the safety play seems to be the biggest issues to me, but the D line isn’t getting it done either.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Being down both your starting CB's for the entirety of the season so far has been an issue as well. Undermanned and underexperienced doesn't play well to start the season. They'll be better in the 2nd half of the year, but they don't have it together just yet.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that KKs offense is a joke and if Brady was under center it would not make much of a difference.

This is a terrible take. Brady runs a variant of this offense.

Unfortunately, building around KM has suddenly been made much more difficult with rapid decline of defense. Only so much resources to go around at end of day.

The defense will be better when it’s best player comes back.

Being down both your starting CB's for the entirety of the season so far has been an issue as well. Undermanned and underexperienced doesn't play well to start the season. They'll be better in the 2nd half of the year, but they don't have it together just yet.

There are a lot of experienced veterans on this defense. The problem is I think the Cards have misevaluated Budda Baker and Reddick. They can’t move forward believing those guys are good when neither are.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

There are a lot of experienced veterans on this defense. The problem is I think the Cards have misevaluated Budda Baker and Reddick. They can’t move forward believing those guys are good when neither are.
This defense needs an identity. They don't have one at this time. Don't think P2 being back will impr3 them by leaps and bounds.

The offense has an identity. Quick rhytm passing is what they are looking to achieve IMO. Obviously the execution is lacking but offense has potential. KK as a play caller and as head coach is whole different conversation.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

However, if you are looking to fill holes, a top 12 NFL defense can exist with Baker and Reddick on it's roster...they just have to be the 9th, 10th, or 11th best players on the unit.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Quite a few people are saying the defense will be better when PP gets back. What is he going to do cover the other team's best WR and pick up their TE too. He certainly isn't going to help in the run game. I think this is wishful thinking.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, so true. I remember hearing pretty much the same things from Cowboy fans in Aikman's first year. Big difference is that now our new QB costs a lot less than what Aikman cost Dallas.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Harry, so true. I remember hearing pretty much the same things from Cowboy fans in Aikman's first year. Big difference is that now our new QB costs a lot less than what Aikman cost Dallas.

Troy Aikman had Jimmy Johnson. Kyler Murray has Steve Keim and Kliff Kingsbury.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I think nobody expected 0-3-1 after first 4 games.Wildly inconsistent QB play,miserable running game,20 sacks,4 interceptions and a defense that might play okay for a while but doesn`t have a interception yet,few forced turnovers and several failed chances by both the offense and defense to make game changing plays.
I wonder if the KK offense will take a year to work or if it works at all.I wonder why the Cards can`t figure out how to ever cover a TE or how to use a TE on offense.Things just look like a cluster**** right now.Maybe with enough time...?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
However, if you are looking to fill holes, a top 12 NFL defense can exist with Baker and Reddick on it's roster...they just have to be the 9th, 10th, or 11th best players on the unit.

i agree with this --

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I think nobody expected 0-3-1 after first 4 games.Wildly inconsistent QB play,miserable running game,20 sacks,4 interceptions and a defense that might play okay for a while but doesn`t have a interception yet,few forced turnovers and several failed chances by both the offense and defense to make game changing plays.
I wonder if the KK offense will take a year to work or if it works at all.I wonder why the Cards can`t figure out how to ever cover a TE or how to use a TE on offense.Things just look like a cluster**** right now.Maybe with enough time...?

Come on man lots of people expected it. The team was picked to finish last in the division by practically everyone and was bottom 5 in the rankings before the season started.
The Cardinals have major holes on both sides of the ball. Throw in a coach who got run from his alma mater and a piss poor talent evaluator assembling the team and this is what you wind up with. Anybody expecting .500 was being optimistic and anyone expecting more is delusional. Vegas isn’t always right but the over under for wins was less than last year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
it seems Keim regularly over evaluates the talent on his own roster

the pre season pimping of Budda Baker and Hasaan Reddick as breakout players by the Cards own media team and 98.7 wasnt them making it up on their own - it was the FO feeding them that narrative and the media running with it

I dont think Budda is a bad player, but hasnt been a impact guy. Reddick is hot and cold.

I also think Keim hung too much of the defensive issues last year on the 4-3 vs 3-4 switch, much like he hung too much of the 2017 record on injuries.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

the pre season pimping of Budda Baker and Hasaan Reddick as breakout players by the Cards own media team and 98.7 wasnt them making it up on their own - it was the FO feeding them that narrative and the media running with it

I dont think Budda is a bad player, but hasnt been a impact guy. Reddick is hot and cold.

I also think Keim hung too much of the defensive issues last year on the 4-3 vs 3-4 switch, much like he hung too much of the 2017 record on injuries.
Did you expect them to be like "yeah the defense is gonna suck. Be ready." That would have been the first time a team has said that in the history of organized sports. You guys act like you aren't supposed to form your own opinion or like they are supposed to hold your hand. The whining on here is nauseating.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

the pre-season pimping of Budda Baker and Hasaan Reddick as breakout players by the Cards own media team and 98.7 wasnt them making it up on their own - it was the FO feeding them that narrative and the media running with it

In most sports towns outside of phoenix are sell outstations like 98.7 common? Like in Dallas, Oklahoma, Cincinnati etc?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose