Randy Johnson

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I just want to pay the man some respect here.

There is a kid, Nick, who lives out in the west valley who has been battling cancer. I don't know him or his family, but being married to a teacher came in contact with a lot of people who do know them. Their story is very rough, but inspiring how Nick continues to play what is an awful hand.

Anyhow, Randy Johnson paid him a visit and from all accounts it was a very endearing meeting. He has a reputation that he earned in the clubhouse and with the media for being a surly, but he went out and made this kids day.

A world of respect to both individuals in this photo - which I warn you is a tough one

If you want to learn more about Nick and some of the fellow children that have fought with him there is this:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicks-Epic-Battle-to-Defeat-Osteosarcoma/511809668865876

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy to hear that RJ went out of his way to visit Nick. So sad to see this type of sickness happen to people, especially kids.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read but glad to see Randy helping out. Osteogenic Sarcoma used to be pretty close to a death sentence but they now have survival rates in the low 70% range if it's non-metastatic. So sad this young man has had to face the worst of these odds.

Steve

OP
OP
MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah, it looked like he had a really good chance for a while, but then not so much. Really heartbreaking stuff.

Also, after their last visit apparently Randy asked if it was ok to come back on Tuesday. Nick approved so yesterday Randy showed up with donuts just so they could hang out and eat donuts together.

Seeing this and John Wall the other night it definitely helps drive home the point to not judge the person by the business.

Takes something special to be able to dedicate time and be comfortable and uplifting around children when both parties know the outcome and out takes an even more special person to embrace their time and not wallow in their fate. I'm not sure how well I could do with either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson