Random: What was your reaction when...

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by GatorAZ, Nov 29, 2020.

1. SunsTzu

SunsTzu Registered User

Pretty much how I felt. Those Kidd led teams were never a threat to do anything in the playoffs and he was just a garbage person.

2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

I thought it was throwing in the towel, basically. A team led by.Marbury might be flashier because he was a lot of fun to watch in his prime but they became even more of an entertainment entity than competitive sport franchise.

I knew Kidd had to go but it was so obvious they should have waited. I think the Marbury deal was the best of the bunch and they didn't care to wait, accepting 70 cents on the dollar.

They didn't commit enough either. They should have gone farther rather just replacing Kidd. I know they added Joe Johnson late in the year but they should have looked for more moves like that sooner.

3. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I really can't remember. I had no love for Kidd after the french fry incident, but I didn't have much of a read on Marbury.

Once Marbury was on the Suns, he became a bit of a whipping boy on this board. He's in the top 20 all-time for assists per game -- ahead of Mark Price, Gary Payton, and Maurice Cheeks -- and averaged nearly 11 per game with the Suns, but still got tagged with a "selfish" label.

Fun fact that I just looked up: One of the draft picks that the Suns acquired when they traded Marbury to the Knicks turned out to be Gordon Hayward.

4. Finito

Finito Registered

Adding Joe Johnson to Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudamire wasn’t enough?

5. SunsTzu

SunsTzu Registered User

Courtesy of the Gugliotta salary dump.

6. Muggz

Muggz Registered

The same way i felt when the Suns traded Rubio and Oubre for Chris Paul. Ill believe it when i see it. Im happy to be proven wrong.

7. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I get the reactions of being over Kidd, I was too, that was a public relations nightmare.

But man... I just didn't see Marbury as an answer. He already had a toxic reputation, he played a brand of basketball that I couldn't stand and he was clearly a vastly inferior player. I didn't see any way we'd be a better team via that trade.

It was during an era where the Suns were always in the playoffs, so trading a star for picks would have been a baffling concept, but it would have been the way to go.

In the end it led us to the Marbury/Hardaway Knicks trade, which is one of the more brilliant trades of all time, something that it is hard to fathom now, so in the end it all worked out, but still... I did not enjoy the Marbury era.

8. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

My only reservation about Chris Paul is his injury history. The guy is a bona-fide super star who pumps out 50 win seasons like clock work. Marbury never sniffed Paul's heights.

9. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I liked the Marbury era simply because it was the start of the Amare train. Can’t forget the famous shot of Marbury reacting to one of Amares early dunks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  10. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I was ok with it. I was never really a Kidd fan. I don't like his personality, and I didn't like his inability to shoot.

11. 95pro

95pro Registered

I wasn't a fan of either Marbury or Kidd. I lost interest in the Suns and the nba right around that time.

12. Finito

Finito Registered

you lost interest in the Suns when they had young versions of Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson?

tough crowd

13. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

I thought more should have happened that off-season to clear out old timers. Sure they added young talent over the next few years but they didn't commit enough to a rebuild when Kidd was dealt. They stubbornly kept the same team around Marbury up until they traded for JJ when it was clear they weren't competing for the postseason.

14. 95pro

95pro Registered

It was like right before them, idr, the time frame so much during that period. Was busy with school and starting a family.

15. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

The thing I hated about Kidd was he was selfish with his assists. I know that sounds strange. He would be at the rim for a lay-up and pass it out to the three-point line to pad his assist stats.