Random Post-Draft roster observations

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1 - I said in this in another thread but warrants a spot here. 15 OL currently under contract and we just drafted two. Only guys safe are Paris, Fro, Hern, Beach, and Jonah. Probably Adams is safe as a 3rd round guy. 11 dudes battling for 3 or 4 spots.

2 - We had 14 DBs under contract 9/5 split, and drafted 4 more.

3 - Do we carry 4 TEs? Trey, Tip and Higgins seem like the locks.

4 - WR and EDGE rooms look weak. Thought we missed a prime opportunity to significantly improve the WR room in a strong WR draft.

5 - RB room is interesting. Currently Conner, Carter, Dallas and Demercado. Adding Benson should cut out one. Carter might be out with a cap hit of 3.1 mil. Though, with 19 mil in effective, do we need the cost savings? Maybe a TC cut to give him a spot to contribute.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1 - I said in this in another thread but warrants a spot here. 15 OL currently under contract and we just drafted two. Only guys safe are Paris, Fro, Hern, Beach, and Jonah. Probably Adams is safe as a 3rd round guy. 11 dudes battling for 3 or 4 spots.
Jones is probably decently safe since the team just drafted him, he would have to be a disaster not to make the team.

Evan Brown has $1.1 million guaranteed, so he's likely sticking around too.
2 - We had 14 DBs under contract 9/5 split, and drafted 4 more.
I said it before the draft that I wanted the Cardinals to throw some draft picks at CB and I got my wish.

I kept seeing Cardinals fan drafts not including a safety and I thought that was a mistake.
3 - Do we carry 4 TEs? Trey, Tip and Higgins seem like the locks.
If you plan on running a lot of 12 and 13, then the Cardinals likely carry 4 TEs.
4 - WR and EDGE rooms look weak. Thought we missed a prime opportunity to significantly improve the WR room in a strong WR draft.
I think the Cardinals only carry 5 WRs (Harrison, Wilson, Dortch, Moore, and maybe the rookie).
5 - RB room is interesting. Currently Conner, Carter, Dallas and Demercado. Adding Benson should cut out one. Carter might be out with a cap hit of 3.1 mil. Though, with 19 mil in effective, do we need the cost savings? Maybe a TC cut to give him a spot to contribute.
Benson was a smart pick because I don't think Carter is a primary ball carrier. Demercado is probably the odd man out.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jones is probably decently safe since the team just drafted him, he would have to be a disaster not to make the team.

Evan Brown has $1.1 million guaranteed, so he's likely sticking around too.

I said it before the draft that I wanted the Cardinals to throw some draft picks at CB and I got my wish.

I kept seeing Cardinals fan drafts not including a safety and I thought that was a mistake.

If you plan on running a lot of 12 and 13, then the Cardinals likely carry 4 TEs.

I think the Cardinals only carry 5 WRs (Harrison, Wilson, Dortch, Moore, and maybe the rookie).

Benson was a smart pick because I don't think Carter is a primary ball carrier. Demercado is probably the odd man out.
I initially thought this as well, but is Carter 2.2 mil better on a one year deal? Will Carter be content being RB3 which is the reason he requested to be traded from NY?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I initially thought this as well, but is Carter 2.2 mil better on a one year deal? Will Carter be content being RB3 which is the reason he requested to be traded from NY?
That's a fair question when you pose it that way. I would expect that Carter is the third down guy and will play quite a bit, while Benson is more of a lead ball carrier type who spell Conner.

Benson might not get a ton of touches this year, but it was still a good pick since he is likely Conner's heir apparent.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's a fair question when you pose it that way. I would expect that Carter is the third down guy and will play quite a bit, while Benson is more of a lead ball carrier type who spell Conner.

Benson might not get a ton of touches this year, but it was still a good pick since he is likely Conner's heir apparent.
With Benson never having more than 156 carries in a college season, my guess is they will keep an eye on him. Regardless, it is tough to see him getting more than 60-80 carries in 2024. Conner probably logs 200 again, and then you split the remaining 179(ish) between Benson, Carter and Demercado.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on your thoughts:

I would not be surprised if we traded one of the OL before the end of the season. (Beachum?)

I think we will carry one less WR, possibly in order to keep another OL.

I think Demercado is gone (PS possibly) and possibly Carter too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With Benson never having more than 156 carries in a college season, my guess is they will keep an eye on him. Regardless, it is tough to see him getting more than 60-80 carries in 2024. Conner probably logs 200 again, and then you split the remaining 179(ish) between Benson, Carter and Demercado.
I don't really see a path for Demercado making it now. Dallas is a good all around special teamer and probably a better all around player.

Just from perusing Conner's game logs, the Cardinals are likely to feed him the rock as much as possible when situation dictates. Not a lot of carries for anyone else (see weeks 13-18).

Id guess Benson only gets 4-5 carries per game if Carter also gets a handful of touches.

The Cardinals were wise enough to know that if Conner goes down for an extended period, the chances to win ball games decrease dramatically.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Some thoughts on your thoughts:

I would not be surprised if we traded one of the OL before the end of the season. (Beachum?)
Eh I don't think any of those OL have any actual trade value, and Beachum has more value as mentor and swing back up.
I think we will carry one less WR, possibly in order to keep another OL.
Agree on this. If you're keeping 4 RBs and likely 4 TEs, it's hard to justify keeping 6 WRs.
I think Demercado is gone (PS possibly) and possibly Carter too.
Agree on Demercado, disagree on Carter. He has value as a scat back type.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh I don't think any of those OL have any actual trade value, and Beachum has more value as mentor and swing back up.
Beachum would have some trade value, even if it is a 6th or 7th rounder.
Agree on Demercado, disagree on Carter. He has value as a scat back type.
I think he has value, but his 3.1M cap hit could be the deciding factor, as Chopper mentioned.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't really see a path for Demercado making it now. Dallas is a good all around special teamer and probably a better all around player.

Just from perusing Conner's game logs, the Cardinals are likely to feed him the rock as much as possible when situation dictates. Not a lot of carries for anyone else (see weeks 13-18).

Id guess Benson only gets 4-5 carries per game if Carter also gets a handful of touches.

The Cardinals were wise enough to know that if Conner goes down for an extended period, the chances to win ball games decrease dramatically.
Cardinals averaged 27.7 rush attempts per game. My guess is they would prefer to keep Conner in the 14 per game range. Kyler should be penciled in for 5.5 (which was his ratio last year) per game. That leaves 8.2 carries per game open which I imagine they would love to see Benson take.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Plus, Demercado is a JAG and it's doubtfulhes picked up and could.lanf back in the PS. Dallas at least has a role to play.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Plus, Demercado is a JAG and it's doubtfulhes picked up and could.lanf back in the PS. Dallas at least has a role to play.
I don't know that he is or isn't. A couple stats for Demercado. 4.9 yards per carry is good. 2.0 yards after contact. 5.7 yards per reception. 21 catches. Long rushing attempt is 49 yards. Longest reception 22.

Some nice versatility shown by Demercado in year 1. Statistically speaking, there isn't 2.2 mil worth of stat differential between Demarcado and Carter based upon 2023.