Question for Suns fans Earl Watson as Coach

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is exactly right. The players are watching. They know this would be Watson's dream job. If they see the Suns treat him right, it will go a long way. Besides, as an employer, you just do not stand between an employee and their dream job.

There are other coaches. The Suns should look at it as an opportunity to take the next step.
Agreed.

Plus like Stefan said, Watson isn't some young rising coach like Brad Stevens or something. Watson is a philosophical coach who knows absolutely nothing about the Xs and Os of basketball.

A coach like that is much better off in college where all that rah rah talk would pay off more.

The Suns under Watson have no kind of system in place and just run a freestyle offense anyway. Watson's best plays are to ISO Booker or Bledsoe. Suns are among the worst halfcourt scoring teams in the league under Watson.

I'd love someone like Kevin Ollie, Alex Jensen, Chris Finch, Becky Hammon, Nick Nurse, Nate Tibbetts or Sean Sweeney here. My personal favorite would be Ollie or Finch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alford to IU
Watson to UCLA
Majerle to SUNS

If Watson leaves the Suns, I think they have to look to Majerle after they rudely ignored him as a head coaching candidate. The thing is, I'm not sure Majerle would reciprocate the interest after where he has GCU program. In the future, Majerle would be a logical candidate. The timing is poor now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Watson leaves the Suns, I think they have to look to Majerle after they rudely ignored him as a head coaching candidate. The thing is, I'm not sure Majerle would reciprocate the interest after where he has GCU program. In the future, Majerle would be a logical candidate. The timing is poor now.

If Majerle is offered the job I think he'd take it but it's almost unfair to pull him away from GCU the year before they're tournament eligible.

If Dan keeps building something at GCU I'm sure he'll be a hot commodity for better programs. He's got the NBA connection along with Colangelo's influence.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Majerle is offered the job I think he'd take it but it's almost unfair to pull him away from GCU the year before they're tournament eligible.

If Dan keeps building something at GCU I'm sure he'll be a hot commodity for better programs. He's got the NBA connection along with Colangelo's influence.

I think the only way Majerle considers the Suns head coaching if he is hired directly, without interviewing other candidates. Still, I'm uncertain if he takes the job. It's a tough situation, so I hope it doesn't happen right now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the only way Majerle considers the Suns head coaching if he is hired directly, without interviewing other candidates. Still, I'm uncertain if he takes the job. It's a tough situation, so I hope it doesn't happen right now.

It's still the NBA. If Majerle turned them down to stay at GCU that would be pretty embarrassing. They'd probably put out feelers before officially offering him the job to avoid the humiliation of him declining.

Since this team is so young and about to get younger I'd prefer them grabbing amother young coach. Jay Wright is unrealistic though...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still the NBA. If Majerle turned them down to stay at GCU that would be pretty embarrassing. They'd probably put out feelers before officially offering him the job to avoid the humiliation of him declining.

Since this team is so young and about to get younger I'd prefer them grabbing amother young coach. Jay Wright is unrealistic though...

I agree the Suns would put out feelers if Majerle wanted the job. If they want to hire him I don't think he goes through a interview process where other candidates are involved. Speaking of other candidates do you think Sean Miller would have any interest in being an NBA coach? He certainly has experience in developing professional caliber players.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly not a huge fan of ex-players coming back to coach. Not that it's every single time but for the most part it's a PR tactic to sell tickets more than it is a pure coaching move.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score

McD did recently extend an olive branch to Dan by calling him a few weeks ago. Dan said they had a nice conversation but left out the details other than saying it meant a lot to him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I agree the Suns would put out feelers if Majerle wanted the job. If they want to hire him I don't think he goes through a interview process where other candidates are involved. Speaking of other candidates do you think Sean Miller would have any interest in being an NBA coach? He certainly has experience in developing professional caliber players.

Miller never struck me as an NBA guy. Too intense and controlling. Besides has hasn't put any successful players in the league. Markkanen or Ayton could change that possibly.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are going to have a top pick in this draft. They have a stable of quality young talent that is ready to really take the next step, AND they have cap space.

If they switch coaches now, the new coach will be able to get credit for the turnaround that will likely take place. If you want to get into coaching, this is a much better moment to do it than the one that Earl Watson stepped into.

I would think there would be alot of eager candidates.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller never struck me as an NBA guy. Too intense and controlling. Besides has hasn't put any successful players in the league. Markkanen or Ayton could change that possibly.

Since you mentioned Villanova coach I thought I would take the opportunity to ask about Miller. I appreciate your input. In regard to UofA players, I really like Markkanen and what I have seen of Trier.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Since you mentioned Villanova coach I thought I would take the opportunity to ask about Miller. I appreciate your input. In regard to UofA players, I really like Markkanen and what I have seen of Trier.

Miller has said in the past he doesn't watch the NBA and his best attribute is probably recruiting which is irrelevant in the pros. He's a college guy through and through.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller has said in the past he doesn't watch the NBA and his best attribute is probably recruiting which is irrelevant in the pros. He's a college guy through and through.

The Wildcats are really in a good situation which should not change for the foreseeable future as Miller is still quite young.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I can't see how and why we would let Earl out of his contract.

Only reason would be if Jay Wright commits to the Suns, since Wright had been their first choice all along.

For the same reason any organization would let someone pursue their dream job, especially if it's not with a direct competitor: what's the upside of forcing them to stay? If it goes well, they'll be an even hotter commodity when they are free to negotiate elsewhere.

And regarding the optics, aside from potentially making a bad impression on other players and their agents, what kind of sell is that for free agents? "Come to Phoenix, were building something! By the way, your coach wants to be elsewhere but we're forcing him to serve out his contract."

The best way around this situation would be to give Watson a raise and possibly an extension now, but I don't know if the Suns are ready to do the latter. Honestly, if we were to get the #1 or even a top 3 pick, Phoenix becomes much more attractive a job and Watson might do us a favour by going to UCLA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the same reason any organization would let someone pursue their dream job, especially if it's not with a direct competitor: what's the upside of forcing them to stay? If it goes well, they'll be an even hotter commodity when they are free to negotiate elsewhere.

And regarding the optics, aside from potentially making a bad impression on other players and their agents, what kind of sell is that for free agents? "Come to Phoenix, were building something! By the way, your coach wants to be elsewhere but we're forcing him to serve out his contract."

The best way around this situation would be to give Watson a raise and possibly an extension now, but I don't know if the Suns are ready to do the latter. Honestly, if we were to get the #1 or even a top 3 pick, Phoenix becomes much more attractive a job and Watson might do us a favour by going to UCLA.

Yes. I do not see any upside in forcing a coach to stay when he does not want to be here, especially its his dream job.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Earl Watson leaving the Suns to go to UCLA would be an absolute dream come true for me. It would be up there with my wedding, graduations, births of my children, and getting my first car.

Please, Basketball Gods, make this happen!!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Alford to IU
Watson to UCLA
Majerle to SUNS
It is interesting to see these posts about Majerle as Suns Head Coach.

Six weeks ago, I posted in the "Around The NBA" thread:

BC867 said:
I was thinking about Dan Majerle. When he initially wanted to be named the Suns Head Coach (with no experience), I was dead set against it. Also because Thunder Dan had a lot of growing up to do.

It looks like he has grown up and, of course, now has coaching experience. 'Although the 'Lopes recently went on a losing streak and Dan took the blame.

I wonder if the Suns have given that any thought. A Phoenix legend with coaching ability. And just a little bit of a loose cannon vs. the Horny type of choir boy.

Not because he is a former Suns star, but because he now has experience coaching young players, I would like to see the Front Office give him careful consideration. And I'd like to see Dan give the Front Office the same.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
It is interesting to see these posts about Majerle as Suns Head Coach.

Six weeks ago, I posted in the "Around The NBA" thread:

Not because he is a former Suns star, but because he now has experience coaching young players, I would like to see the Front Office give him careful consideration. And I'd like to see Dan give the Front Office the same.

Do you really think UCLA is dumb enough to hire Watson as their head coach?

I will be shocked if he even gets an interview.

Gimme a break.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gimme a break.

agreed. Who's frothing at the mouth over a guy who's been a complete and utter failure at the NBA level?

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
UCLA could do worse IMO.

Please

I have no idea how anyone can support him. He was a loser as a player and has one of the worst records in the history of the NBA as a head coach.

Coaches will be lining up to get the UCLA job. That is if Alford is dumb enough to leave.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
and has one of the worst records in the history of the NBA as a head coach.

What an ridiculously stupid argument.

Luke Walton also has one of the worst records in the history of the NBA as a head coach. What a surprise when a rookie coach coaches a team that is expected to be bottom 3.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl Watson leaving the Suns to go to UCLA would be an absolute dream come true for me. It would be up there with my wedding, graduations, births of my children, and getting my first car.

Please, Basketball Gods, make this happen!!!

Yep I share the same idea in reverse, great guy, kids love him but I'm not convinced he's ready for that sort of job and I think 4 years later UCLA would be doing it all over again.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gimme a break.

You have to understand the mechanics of a coach right now at UCLA. Dan Guerrero the AD is on his last few years before retirement. He wanted Alford to be the last major hire but now he has issues with both football and basketball. If Alford leaves for IU, he's going to kick tires with the bigtime names and get laughed at. UCLA doesn't pay enough, who in the hell wants to take less money(cost of living) for LA traffic and a fan base who think it's perfectly reasonable to fly and drive banners around campus when they're not happy?

The former UCLA players all love Watson. He's got his own AAU team so he has recruiting ties. He's a personable guy, media loves him. Yes there are people who get he's not experienced and he's in a job where nobody really cares if he loses right now and UCLA is a pressure cooker job, but people like Earl so you can hire him, retire in a couple of years and if it falls apart hey not my fault everyone liked him.

He's the path of least resistance and that's what Dan Guerrero is all about.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard