Preferred 1st Round Opponent 2021 Playoffs

Who would you like to see in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could face 1 of 4 teams, the Wolves, Clippers, Pelicans or Spurs. They're all in the Play-In tournament. Who do you want the Suns to face?

The winner of game 1 (Clippers @ Wolves) gets the 7th Seed and avoids us. The loser will face the winner of game 2 (Spurs @ Pelicans). Game 3 is played at the loser of game 1's arena, giving them home court.

So a team like New Orleans or San Antonio would have some momentum having won 2 in a row but a team like Los Angeles or Minnesota wouldn't, having only won their last game.

Game 1 is Tuesday April 12th, Game 2 is Wednesday April 13th, and Game 3 will be Friday April 15th. I believe game 1 of the playoffs for us is scheduled for Sunday, the 17th. All dates are according to ESPN.com.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little bold, but I'm going to say it doesn't matter because all of the above listed are all speed bumps to the Suns first NBA Championship.

It seems fitting that we beat the Spurs in route to our first NBA Championship, IMO. About 15 years later than that should have happened initially but I'll take it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems fitting that we beat the Spurs in route to our first NBA Championship, IMO. About 15 years later than that should have happened initially but I'll take it.

It's seems weird to say this after all the years the Suns have struggled to get past the Spurs in the playoffs but I think they would be the most favorable first round match-up for the Suns.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't want to see Willie Green pull a '07 Don Nelson against his old team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m not too scared of any of them over seven games, but the choice is pretty much a no brainer. Spurs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The way the Clippers can go with 5 shooters and get hot is probably good for 2 wins in a series. Beverly was a huge nuisance last year but Powell is better and Paul George looks fully healthy.

The Pelicans and wolves worry me about the same. We’d sweep the Spurs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ha. So far the vote is 11-0, Spurs to everyone else. Has this board ever agreed on anything like that?

Clippers would be OK, but PG can be a wild card. The Pelicans are a rising team, and Minnesota has Beverly, who is a danger to everyone's health. I just do not enjoy watching a game with PBev in it. I do not believe he should be in the league. He is such a dirty player--not just a cheater, but endangers other players.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ha. So far the vote is 11-0, Spurs to everyone else. Has this board ever agreed on anything like that?

Clippers would be OK, but PG can be a wild card. The Pelicans are a rising team, and Minnesota has Beverly, who is a danger to everyone's health. I just do not enjoy watching a game with PBev in it. I do not believe he should be in the league. He is such a dirty player--not just a cheater, but endangers other players.
I picked Minnesota and it’s merely because I want them to get embarrassed in round 1. KAT, Book and Russell are all really close but there was some trash talking this season between them and Minnesota thinks they’ve arrived. Suns in 5. Beverly is a nuisance but I think we know how to ignore his antics.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I don't remember the Bulls and Lakers in their prime worried about who they would play. They let the other teams worry about playing them. That's how I remember it. We are the ones who knock.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't remember the Bulls and Lakers in their prime worried about who they would play. They let the other teams worry about playing them. That's how I remember it. We are the ones who knock.
The bulls and lakers in their prime had both already proved they could win it all. Also, there wasn’t an internet so none of us would have any real idea how their fans felt as we do with each other.

AZ Native

Reaction score
The bulls and lakers in their prime had both already proved they could win it all. Also, there wasn’t an internet so none of us would have any real idea how their fans felt as we do with each other.
True about the internet but I was referring to my interactions with their fans. They laughed At all the pretenders. Yes there was interaction before the internet. Much of it. Most of my life there was no internet. Hard to believe but we still conversed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True about the internet but I was referring to my interactions with their fans. They laughed At all the pretenders. Yes there was interaction before the internet. Much of it. Most of my life there was no internet. Hard to believe but we still conversed.

I know what you are talking about. My best friend is a Lakers fan and we had some lively conversations before the internet was so widely used to discuss sports.

AZ Native

Reaction score
I know what you are talking about. My best friend is a Lakers fan and we had some lively conversations before the internet was so widely used to discuss sports.
Yes, I I bet you are a bit younger than me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Then you’re using a very small subset of fans to represent them all. The internet is a more accurate indicator due to volume. You couldn’t have possibly known the thought process of “lakers fans” unless you lived in LA and constantly listened to sports radio back in the day, which you may have for all I know.

Regardless, you still ignored the most important differentiator between those teams our suns - in the “prime” (as you stated) those teams had already won one or more championships. We have not. Given our franchise’s history I would not be surprised to learn many suns fans are hopeful this season but worried about being a snakebit organization in regards to the ultimate prize.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those teams were dynasties. We need to win our first before we get to that level of confidence. Although… we’re pretty close there. People here may not want to play the Clippers but there ain’t a soul who thinks we’ll actually lose to them.

Playoffs are a war of attrition. Can’t fault fans for wanting the easiest path in the first round round that an 1 seed usually gets. And the Clippers won’t be a normal 8 seed.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd feel more confident if the Suns didn't have such a long season last year, which lead to a very short off-season. That's why a gimme opponent in Round 1 is more appealing. There are 3 more series afterwards that will be much more taxing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure having an easier path would be nice but if you want to be the best you shouldn't be scared to play the best. I don't care. Bring on the playoffs and let this team prove they are the best in the world like they have been all season long.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know the Spurs should be the answer, but I said the wolves.

I just enjoy beating Beverley, and KAT seems like a punk too.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose