Potential Suns Owners

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. But I don’t think they’ll consider political actions in that vein. But the fact that he authored a book titled “The Diversity Myth” may not be looked at fondly in a league where over 75% of the talent is black.
That is more disqualifying, than his other political activism

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Give me an owner with deep pockets that will be willing to do what it takes to keep this team competitive. Not really worried about their political views.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me an owner with deep pockets that will be willing to do what it takes to keep this team competitive. Not really worried about their political views.
Easy to say this when you’re not someone who will be effected by his political views and the insane amount of money he has to try and inflict those horrific views on minority and disadvantaged communities.

And before anyone says we need to stop talking politics, what an owner believes, how they act IS part of the equation here, especially considering why we just got rid of the last piece of human garbage.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy to say this when you’re not someone who will be effected by his political views and the insane amount of money he has to try and inflict those horrific views on minority and disadvantaged communities.

And before anyone says we need to stop talking politics, what an owner believes, how they act IS part of the equation here, especially considering why we just got rid of the last piece of human garbage.

What sort of awful behavior has Thiel shown at the head of any of his businesses? I haven't heard of anything but I haven't looked very deep. He's an openly gay man, which makes him part of a minority group, and he went after Gawker for playing a role in outing him. Other than that though I'm not very familiar with him. You seem to be based on your comments so please tell us what he's done that's on par with Sarver's behavior in running the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's
What sort of awful behavior has Thiel shown at the head of any of his businesses? I haven't heard of anything but I haven't looked very deep. He's an openly gay man, which makes him part of a minority group, and he went after Gawker for playing a role in outing him. Other than that though I'm not very familiar with him. You seem to be based on your comments so please tell us what he's done that's on par with Sarver's behavior in running the Suns.
it's totally political position. This thread has totally become about politics.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's

it's totally political position. This thread has totally become about politics.
He’s a MASSIVE political figure. It’s impossible to divorce the man from the politics and from the impact he may have as an owner on getting players to come here. It’s baked into the cake and part of the discussion about whether he’d be a good owner or not.

And for @Hoop Head , Thiel is basically this new political moment’s equivalent of the Koch Brothers. He’s one of the largest fundraisers of far-right politicians in American. A fundraiser the likes of which the Steve Bannons or the world praise. Ultra-Maga, probably threw dark money at every piece of human filth from Doug Mastriano’s disgusting Anti-Semitic campaign to Kari Lake’s horrifically racist, misogynistic and anti-American democracy campaigns and we KNOW FOR A fact that he gave money to likewise horror shows JD Vance and Blake Masters along with a load of others Trump loyalists and Jan 6th truthers/racists, etc.

He’s human garbage. I’m sick of rooting for teams and putting money in the pockets of human garbage. At a certain point, I have to come to terms with the fact that I am part of the problem if I keep giving my money to those people who will use that money to make the world a less safe place for myself and loved ones. And I won’t do it anymore in the circumstance where I 100% KNOW that happens with 100% certainty. Thiel is that 100% certainty for me.

If he’s not for you, that’s your choice. And I won’t quibble with it. Just telling you where I stand And what it will mean for my fandom.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The other side of the coin is that an owner who is as highly politically motivated as Thiel is, is just as likely to make decisions running any team he owns on the same basis.

Any players who are politically active or outspoken in such a way that differs from him? You can probably count on him either alienating them or pressuring them to "fall in line." Same with coaches or front office people.

Some of you who think players should just "shut up and play" may be in favor of that. But it isn't going to lead to most high profile players wanting to play here.

And undoubtedly an owner with such a strong political agenda is also likewise to be butting heads with the NBA itself at some point. We would be far better off with an owner whose sole ambition is the ego gratification of owning a winning team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The other side of the coin is that an owner who is as highly politically motivated as Thiel is, is just as likely to make decisions running any team he owns on the same basis.

Any players who are politically active or outspoken in such a way that differs from him? You can probably count on him either alienating them or pressuring them to "fall in line." Same with coaches or front office people.

Some of you who think players should just "shut up and play" may be in favor of that. But it isn't going to lead to most high profile players wanting to play here.

And undoubtedly an owner with such a strong political agenda is also likewise to be butting heads with the NBA itself at some point. We would be far better off with an owner whose sole ambition is the ego gratification of owning a winning team.
Well that would fall into not doing everything he can to keep the team competitive. If he is willing to work with players that differ politically in order to keep the team good than I am all for it. Of course if him buying the team is just going to cause a lot of drama than I would prefer to avoid it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that would fall into not doing everything he can to keep the team competitive. If he is willing to work with players that differ politically in order to keep the team good than I am all for it. Of course if him buying the team is just going to cause a lot of drama than I would prefer to avoid it.
That’s exactly what’s gonna happen if he’s owner.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
God, what a bunch of whiny babies in this thread. The owner has to have MY political beliefs or im taking my ball and going home! A lot of people in this world agree with his beliefs so maybe they aren't "far right" and you are all just brainwashed to think anyone to the right of AOC is an awful human being.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
God, what a bunch of whiny babies in this thread. The owner has to have MY political beliefs or im taking my ball and going home! A lot of people in this world agree with his beliefs so maybe they aren't "far right" and you are all just brainwashed to think anyone to the right of AOC is an awful human being.
Wow this was uncalled for.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah… see, this is what I don’t want to be part of.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

I couldn’t care less about what the people on the board think. What I care about is what the players in the league think about the new owner. And if you think Thiel is the type of owner that will attract players then you just aren’t paying attention.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could care less about what the people on the board think. What I care about is what the players in the league think about the new owner. And if you think Thiel is the type of owner that will attract players then you just aren’t paying attention.
This. I don't want to inject politics into this at all but if you don't think players in this league care about who the owner is then you are not paying attention. It shouldn't matter but it does. Has nothing to do with being a baby blah blah blah. I want the franchise to be a destination. PERIOD. Thiel is pretty controversial, and HE IS THE ONE that constantly interjects his politics everywhere he goes.

I don't give a damn what your politics are, but this organization doesn't need another owner that will be a constant distraction. Bank on this. If Thiel is the owner, he will make headlines multiple times during his ownership stint.

Not only that? Thiel is type of guy that will treat the Suns like an investment only. He has fought previous boards for more equity stake to maximize his profit multiple times places he has been. That means kissing going in the luxury tax to make runs a thing of the past. As soon as I heard this? My first thought was "oh no".

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. I don't want to inject politics into this at all but if you don't think players in this league care about who the owner is then you are not paying attention. It shouldn't matter but it does. Has nothing to do with being a baby blah blah blah. I want the franchise to be a destination. PERIOD. Thiel is pretty controversial, and HE IS THE ONE that constantly interjects his politics everywhere he goes.

I don't give a damn what your politics are, but this organization doesn't need another owner that will be a constant distraction. Bank on this. If Thiel is the owner, he will make headlines multiple times during his ownership stint.

Not only that? Thiel is type of guy that will treat the Suns like an investment only. He has fought previous boards for more equity stake to maximize his profit multiple times places he has been. That means kissing going in the luxury tax to make runs a thing of the past. As soon as I heard this? My first thought was "oh no".
Now this is a worthwhile argument to make--and it doesn't question a person's humanity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally called-for. Calling someone human garbage because of their political position is uncalled for.
Lol… no it’s not. If you use your BILLIONS to push a political position that tries to make laws saying Gays don’t deserve equal right to marriage, to push and platform individuals who forwarding Anti-Semitic agenda and conspiracy theories, to limit Black people equal access to voting and limit decisions women can make about their own body, you are human garbage. Theil has used his Billions to try and CODIFY discrimination and restrict the rights of minorities and women since 2016. And in the last two years, he’s added anti-democracy efforts to his list of warts.

When your politics consistently put ALL those people’s lives AND democracy itself at risk, which is the entire bedrock of our society, you are human garbage.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose