Potential Suns Owners

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The fact that they are on to the second round is interesting… the rest of the article is nothing new.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

Reaction score

Thiel reportedly donated over 20 million to Blake Masters election fund.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

Reaction score
Oh man… Peter Thiel is a total piece of garbage. I’d hate that.

Im still convinced that Sarver would prefer to sell to a piece of garbage. I heard a while ago (years) that Sarver realized how much he was hated, and believed the only way he could salvage his reputation as the Suns owner was to win a title (as long as it didn’t cost him a bunch financially). Now that the title will never happen I believe he will aim to sell to an owner that has has a chance to be more (or at least equally) hated as he was.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Im still convinced that Sarver would prefer to sell to a piece of garbage. I heard a while ago (years) that Sarver realized how much he was hated, and believed the only way he could salvage his reputation as the Suns owner was to win a title (as long as it didn’t cost him a bunch financially). Now that the title will never happen I believe he will aim to sell to an owner that has has a chance to be more (or at least equally) hated as he was.
I don’t know how quick the league will be to accept someone that might worse than sarver. All lights will be focused on the new owner.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Thiel reportedly donated over 20 million to Blake Masters election fund.

I don't see Shasta as having the capital to pull this off. They're pretty small potatoes. Looks like the Suns have decided to go with Thiel and they're trying to create the illusion that they considered multiple options. It's a pretty standard search process dodge: Make your decision early, populate the finalists' list with candidates who are obviously not viable, then say you took the only real choice you had.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

Reaction score
I don’t know how quick the league will be to accept someone that might worse than sarver. All lights will be focused on the new owner.

But I don’t see the league rejecting someone like Thiel. He wouldn’t be the first (or last) far right Republican associated with the NBA who donates millions to further right republicans. Sarver might not be able to sell to someone worse than him, but he can still sell to someone who he thinks down the road has potential to be worse. I’m just saying that if someone like Thiel and someone like Laurene Powell Jobs both make offers, Sarver (in his own mind) will have an easy choice.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I don’t see the league rejecting someone like Thiel. He wouldn’t be the first (or last) far right Republican associated with the NBA who donates millions to further right republicans. Sarver might not be able to sell to someone worse than him, but he can still sell to someone who he thinks down the road has potential to be worse. I’m just saying that if someone like Thiel and someone like Laurene Powell Jobs both make offers, Sarver (in his own mind) will have an easy choice.
I’ll be honest… Thiel is probably gonna be the last straw for my fandom. All billionaires are likely pieces trash, but sone are MUCH worse than others. This guy’s vision of the world he’s trying to create with his billions is a nightmare for too many people.

Game 7 last year broke something inside of me for sports where I just don’t put anything near the same passion I used to. The Sarver report was enough for me to decide not to be the NBA Ticket and I wouldn’t have even cheered for the Suns as long as Sarver was the owner.

This would be an upgrade as far as big spenders are concerned but somehow a DOWNGRADE for our owner’s humanity. Sarver was a total piece of crap who was a menace to so many in his own company and I’m assuming others outside of it.

Theil is a menace to all of society… period.

I won’t cheer for anything that guy is involved in.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

Reaction score
This would be an upgrade as far as big spenders are concerned but somehow a DOWNGRADE for our owner’s humanity. Sarver was a total piece of crap who was a menace to so many in his own company and I’m assuming others outside of it.

Theil is a menace to all of society… period.

I won’t cheer for anything that guy is involved in.

I think this is why Sarver will look to sell to someone exactly like Thiel.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thiel funded the lawsuit that shutdown Gawker. For that, I'm a fan. I don't care about his politics.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Only 7 current NBA owners have a higher net worth than Peter Thiel. Any idea what his formula would be to run an NBA franchise based on his business history?

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Thiel is a terrible human being. I really hope it’s not him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only 7 current NBA owners have a higher net worth than Peter Thiel. Any idea what his formula would be to run an NBA franchise based on his business history?

He pays to win. He literally throws money at problems and enemies to make them disappear/lose/go away.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the league and other owners had to approve any sale.

I haven't had a chance to research it but the sale of the Bucks and Grizzlies were unanimously approved by the NBA Board of Governors.

It seems like a sale of NBA franchise would have to have overwhelming support.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

Reaction score
They do? I didn't realize that. Do they always reveal the reason for "no" votes?

Not that I am aware of. Sometimes the Board of Governors will place stipulations on the sale (ie, they can’t relocate), but I couldn’t find an instance where they straight up denied a buyer from purchasing a team because of character reasons. When Sacramento was being sold an owner group tried to purchase with the intent that they would then move the team to Seattle. They were denied, but I could not find record of the individual votes.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are being sold because of character issues, right?

Then why would they approve a sale to someone who is a scumbag?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns are being sold because of character issues, right?

Then why would they approve a sale to someone who is a scumbag?
Agree. But I don’t think they’ll consider political actions in that vein. But the fact that he authored a book titled “The Diversity Myth” may not be looked at fondly in a league where over 75% of the talent is black.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose