Potential Suns Owners

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We've already seen GM LeBron and how that's worked out. I'd actually like to see him as owner because the team could be historically bad. It could be a plus for the Suns if he owns the Vegas team because there's a chance they end up in the Suns division.
Owner MJ 2.0

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expansion is right around the corner, IMO, and the Suns sale is probably speeding it up. Adam Silver gets to see who all has the cash and interest to buy a major franchise. Only one person, or group, will purchase the Suns though and that will leave a half dozen suitors who will have to wait for the next sale. Of course not all will want to pay as much for an expansion team but some of them will, which is key. Silver can create the opportunity for them.

Both Seattle and Vegas have NBA ready arenas right now, which means they'll be good for the next 4-5 years but to wait longer might age them too much and require substantial costly upgrades so there's another cost in waiting too long.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Simmons was predicting the Suns will sell for TWICE what Brooklyn sold for, in 2019. Insane money.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow this thread...are we that not interested in the team...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe Soylent Steve?
I am still hoping someone can figure out a way to harness laziness like they did with Solar. My son graduates with his Master's in Engineering this December. I have my first project for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still hoping someone can figure out a way to harness laziness like they did with Solar. My son graduates with his Master's in Engineering this December. I have my first project for him.
We lazy people prefer to think of it as Ambition Deficient. It sounds like a great project but I think Soylent Green might be the best they can make out of us AD humans.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lazy people prefer to think of it as Ambition Deficient. It sounds like a great project but I think Soylent Green might be the best they can make out of us AD humans.
I don't know. Harnessing couch power seems like an untapped market for renewable energy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it is arguably no longer the offseason, would anyone care to start a 2023 season thread? I don't see one yet, and am not about to start a thread myself.

You'll see one when the season starts, we're in the pre-season now. It's around 10 days until the Suns season kicks off.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow this thread...are we that not interested in the team...
I am still struggling with the failure in the playoffs, the Sarver stuff, and the uncertainty of what might happen with a new owner. So, yeah, even talking about it stresses me a bit.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's not that I am not interested. We don't or won't know anything about ownership anytime soon. So there's not much to talk about yet. When ownership groups are announced, then it would be fun to guess how they will play out.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zero clue on the validity of this guy, and the article itself is behind a paywall, but he is saying that Geffen and Powell Jobs aren’t interested in buying the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zero clue on the validity of this guy, and the article itself is behind a paywall, but he is saying that Geffen and Powell Jobs aren’t interested in buying the Suns.

Don't know how credible he is but he raises some valid points. Mainly says Jobs won't buy the Suns because she already owns 20% in a team and she doesn't have the time to spend more time running a team as a full owner. Plus she's good friends with Ted Leonsis, who she owns the Wizards with. There's a little more to it but basically count her out.

Heres a brief excerpt, since I know that's all we can post from stuff behind paywalls...

Despite Shaq blaming Jeff Bezos for big-footing him out of a putative deal—an only-in-TMZ subplot triggered by a stray, aggregation-gone-wild on-air comment from Ramona Shelburne on ESPN a few weeks back—there is no actual reporting to suggest that Bezos himself is interested in the Suns. A Bezos spokesperson didn’t comment, but I would be surprised to see him make any sort of bid.

A more likely suitor, as I wrote earlier this month, is Larry Ellison, who has tried four separate times to get his hands on an NBA franchise. His most recent attempt was in 2014, when Ellison tried to buy the Clippers with his deal partners—Oprah and David Geffen—but lost out to Steve Ballmer, whose $2 billion offer reset the market for franchise value. Geffen was the frontman of that bid—he confirmed the effort on the record at the time to ESPN, saying that he and Ellison had long harbored plans to buy a team together. “We’ve talked about this for a long time,” Geffen said.
But don’t expect that pair to make a joint bid this time around for the Suns: I am told by a source that Geffen has no current interest in trying to buy the franchise. Which, of course, casts some doubt on whether Ellison has a bid of his own in store. He’d have to put together his own group, similar to what he did in 2010 when he lost out on an attempt to buy the Warriors by himself. Ellison then declared it “unusual” that he lost that time around because he was the “highest bidder” … but in the victors’ retelling, they stole it from right beneath his nose. Can Ellison move fast this time around? Reps for Ellison didn’t return requests for comment.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All I know is it's going to take a lot of coin to potentially buy the most expensive NBA franchise ever (go us!).

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

Reaction score
I wonder if Ellison would try to recruit a “face” like Shaq.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

Reaction score

I wonder if this would have any affect on Bezos’s ability to own an NBA team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would like to see Amazon get NFL Sunday ticket. I get tired of fighting them to give them my hard earned money. Plus, half the time their technology doesn't work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose