Potential Suns Owners

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
These are all the names that have been either mention by the media, have shown interest in owning a NBA team in the past, or are billionaires that live in Arizona under the age of 65. Feel free to mention anyone I missed or who you think is a possibility and I will add.

Jeff Bezos
137.2 billion
58 years old
Amazon

Laurene Powell-Jobs
12.7 billion
58 years old
20% Owner in Washington Wizards
Financial supporter of WNBA

Larry Ellison
96.2 billion
78 years old
Oracle corp
Tried to buy Grizzlies, Warriors, Pelicans, Clippers

Bob Iger
690 million
71 years old
Former CEO of Disney
Been vocal about wanting to own a NBA team

Adelson Estate
40 billion
Mentioned on 98.7 by Windhorst

Arte Moreno
4.1 billion
76 years old
Selling the Angels
From Tucson

David Geffen
7.7 billion
79 years old
Geffen records
Tried to buy Clippers

Ernest Garcia III
$3.2 billion
39 years old
Carvana
Son of billionaire Ernest Garcia JR
Lives in AZ

George Kurtz
$2.8 billion
51 years old
CrowdStrike
Lives in AZ

Peter Sperling
$1.6 billion
62 years old
Apollo Education Group
Lives in AZ

Jahm Najafi
3.5 billion
59 years old
Minority owner of the Suns

MacKenzie Scott
32 Billion
52 years old
Ex wife of Bezos
Rumored to be interested in buying the Portland Trailblazers
Desire to be the first female owner not to inherit a team.

Barack Obama
70 Million
61 years old
Former President
Bill Simmons says that he is involved with a group expected to make a bid.

Peter Thiel
4.2 Billion
55 years old
co founder of PayPal
rumored to of submitted bid

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this happened 2 years ago then Ryan Smith is likely the owner of the Suns today. He bought the Jazz after having failed to convince Sarver to sell. The way he lured Ainge away from the Celtics and gave him the keys to the franchise is intriguing. Too bad Sarver didn't want to sell before everything blew up in his face.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hoping for owner who has the pockets to purchase other AZ sports franchises and save us from owners who don't seem committed to winning long term. Guess that leaves just Bezos, Ellison & Powell-Jobs.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shaq saying hed have interest to buy along with Bezos. Im not a huge shaq guy but it would certainly be fun and Bezos may like having a partner with the NBA clout a guy like shaq has. Id love to see Shaq getting in there with DA a bit too.

Has there actually been anything said about Bezos wanting to buy Suns or is this all just conjecture?

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Shaq saying hed have interest to buy along with Bezos. Im not a huge shaq guy but it would certainly be fun and Bezos may like having a partner with the NBA clout a guy like shaq has. Id love to see Shaq getting in there with DA a bit too.

Has there actually been anything said about Bezos wanting to buy Suns or is this all just conjecture?

I keep hearing that Bezos is interested, but haven’t seen any direct quotes from him, so I guess it is mainly conjecture. Being a Seattle guy I would think he would hold out for the Seattle expansion team since he can pretty much outbid everyone. I would love to have his deep pockets here though. I would be a little worried about Shaq being too “hands on” and meddlesome. I want deep pockets and someone who trusts the people they hire in basketball positions. I’m not sure Shaq could avoid trying to prove he is the smartest guy in the room.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I keep hearing that Bezos is interested, but haven’t seen any direct quotes from him, so I guess it is mainly conjecture. Being a Seattle guy I would think he would hold out for the Seattle expansion team since he can pretty much outbid everyone. I would love to have his deep pockets here though. I would be a little worried about Shaq being too “hands on” and meddlesome. I want deep pockets and someone who trusts the people they hire in basketball positions. I’m not sure Shaq could avoid trying to prove he is the smartest guy in the room.
Pretty sure bezos is smart enough not to let shaq have too much say in anything.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d love David Geffen he’s insanely competitive and has never failed at anything

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean he made 400 million

Is Dreamworks still around? Honestly I don’t know
Don’t think so. That was a pretty big failure considering it was Geffen, Katzenberg and Spielberg’s baby.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If this happened 2 years ago then Ryan Smith is likely the owner of the Suns today. He bought the Jazz after having failed to convince Sarver to sell. The way he lured Ainge away from the Celtics and gave him the keys to the franchise is intriguing. Too bad Sarver didn't want to sell before everything blew up in his face.
I swear I would cut my own head off in traffic and roll it down the 101 if I had to look at Danny Ainge any more than I do now.
We might have dodged a bullet there.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t think so. That was a pretty big failure considering it was Geffen, Katzenberg and Spielberg’s baby.

Confusing that it is considered a failure and it sold for a relatively small amount. They mostly made stellar films.

Maybe they just sucked on the distribution deals, because that is a list that includes a boat load of Best Pictures.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean he made 400 million

Is Dreamworks still around? Honestly I don’t know

That's the one with the intro of the boy fishing from the moon. I always liked that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq said he is interested in going in with Bezos. I would be down with that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More discussion about the Suns being worth close to $4 billion dollars. There is a pay wall.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bezos isn't much more attractive than Sarver to me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the wrong forum so putting it here:

According to Shaq on his podcast Jeff Bezos wants the Suns. Sounds like Shaq has had a conversation with him and said "Jeff said he wants it, and a couple of other heavy hitters said they want it. I'm not even going to put my name in the bucket on this one. I'm not," O'Neal, who played for the Suns from 2007 to 2009, said.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose